Boston College Head Coach Jeff Hafley is Packers New DC

2024 DC Search  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT to be the next DC?

• Jeff Hafley
    • Jim Leonhard
    • Wink Martindale
    • Ejiro Evero
    • Christian Parker
    • Zach Orr
    • Jesse Minter
    • Anthony Weaver
    • Chris Hewitt
    • Al Harris
    • Larry Foote
    • Aden Durde
    • Dennard Wilson
    • Aubrey Pleasant
    • Brandon Staley
    • Joe Barry
    • Bobby Babich
    • Mike Vrabel
    • Leslie Frazier
    • Chris Harris

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2024 at 01:07 AM

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but that first post sounds a lot like someone who's questioning whether Leonhard is a legit candidate.

3 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah .. I don't get it either.  He's a great candidate.

Never said nor implied that he's not legit but a few yrs at Wisconsin and an analyst gig for Illinois doesn’t necessarily scream “great candidate” either.  Esp compared to some of these other names who have coached in the NFL trenches for consistently good defenses. I’m not opposed to him being hired fwiw and if he is picked, I will root for him 100%. 

Edited by thrILL!
sp
  • Like 1

Weaver is probably in the final three for Washington's HC gig. I think the guy they want is on one of the remaining playoff teams. Washington's GM Adam Peters is likely legit. He cut his teeth under two figurehead GM in Elway and Lynch. Both saw success with offensive head coaches (Kubiak, Shanahan). Peters was probably one of the main guys doing the scouting work and helping fill both teams rosters with talent. He's going to want to implement what he learned in both places which makes me think he will want to hire an offensive head coach despite the fact he brought in 4 defensive coordinators for second interviews. Quinn as a retread hire doesn't make sense to me as Washington are rebuilding. Morris has been hired elsewhere leaving Glenn and Weaver as the remaining defensive options.

Evero is in the running for Seattle HC job. Again a number of coaches from playoff teams is causing the delay to the hiring process. If they wanted Evero they would've hired him by now which makes me think he's on the outside looking in. Schneider is finally the decision maker and he's going to want to be his own man. Have to think with his Packers background he would be leaning towards an offensive head coach this time round, Either Johnson or Kafka. Quinn is safe and familiar name but he's from the Carroll era which I would think Schneider would like to move away from. Schneider has shown he's willing to take risks which make me think Quinn isn't the favourite everyone thinks he is.

Reading the tea leaves I think Ben Johnson is the no.1 target for both General Managers so he will have his pick of HC job UNLESS Detroit reaches the Superbowl. Not sure the GMs are willing to wait another two weeks as quality position coaches get hired elsewhere. If Kansas and Detriot both reach the superbowl then Weaver and Evero are fully in play for the remaining HC openings which would be BAD for us. It would force Washington to choose between Quinn or Weaver and Seattle to choose between Quinn or Evero.

I think best case scenario we want one of Baltimore/Kansas and Detriot to lose. This would knock either Weaver or Evero out of the running for the head coach jobs and open up the possibility of interviewing with us.

• Like 1

Looking at the Bears mediocre current DC interview list you would have to think he's the heavy favourite. As a former Bears draft pick he probably would take the job if offered to him.

7 minutes ago, Chili said:

Looking at the Bears mediocre current DC interview list you would have to think he's the heavy favourite. As a former Bears draft pick he probably would take the job if offered to him.

Maybe. Or he might go to where he can win some games and be able to look his family in the eye when he comes home from work. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, WiscFan3 said:

Im all for going young but this would be the extreme. This guy is 5 weeks younger than Preston. If they think he can be the boy wonder and he out does the competition I will support whatever hire they make but he better be able to command the room and deal with the pitfalls that happen every season. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chili said:

I think best case scenario we want one of Baltimore/Kansas and Detriot to lose. This would knock either Weaver or Evero out of the running for the head coach jobs and open up the possibility of interviewing with us.

Well your wish will come true....cause one of BLT/KC has to lose and I believe DET will lose to SF 👍

Worst case scenario:

Babich connection with Daboll --> Hired by Giants

Durde with Morris --> Falcons

Staley with McVay --> Rams

Minter with Harbaugh --> Chargers (Ravens is not an option as it doesn't appear McDonald is going to be head coach anywhere)

Harris --> Bears

Weaver --> Washinton

Evero --> Seattle

Who else is left? Leonhard? Parker only real connection is LaFleur so he's definitely in the mix. I bet LaFleur's fall back plan is Shane Bowen if Callahan lets him go. If not then the DC job is going to be between Leonhard and Parker. How would you feel about this?

9 minutes ago, Chili said:

Worst case scenario:

Minter with Harbaugh --> Chargers (Ravens is not an option as it doesn't appear McDonald is going to be head coach anywhere)

Harris --> Bears

Weaver --> Washinton

Evero --> Seattle

Who else is left? Leonhard? Parker only real connection is LaFleur so he's definitely in the mix. I bet LaFleur's fall back plan is Shane Bowen if Callahan lets him go. If not then the DC job is going to be between Leonhard and Parker. How would you feel about this?

What about Hewitt?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Chili said:

Worst case scenario:

Harris --> Bears

Weaver --> Washinton

Evero --> Seattle

I would hope Leonhard says yes 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

What about Hewitt?

Sure, but he only has one coordinator interview and the position was filled by Nielsen. There's no signs of us being interested in him. We weren't interested 3 years ago and again his name is not coming up in our latest search so far. Not even any twitter rumors. Dead quiet on that front.

Regarding Baltimore defence everyone is looking at McDonald, Weaver and Minter.

By the way, for those who are interested, an interesting article about as to why McDonald hasn't been interviewed by the Seahawks. Apparently timing is everything no matter how badly you want to interview someone.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2024/1/24/24049283/why-seattle-seahawks-havent-interviewed-ravens-defensive-coordinator-mike-macdonald-nfl-news

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

It’s a lot more complex than ‘ he was only good because of Ramsey and Donald’ I can guarantee you they’re going over philosophy, Xs and Os and organizational stuff. 

Theres just too much info we don’t know to have strong opinions . 

LOL .. Aaron Donald, Jalen Ramsey, Von Miller, Williams, Leonard Floyd, A Shawn Robinson; lots of players on defense.  Granted, it takes somebody to give a little guidance but that's a group that's damn good.  To say Staley is a defensive wizard because he was their D coordinator is also silly.

• Like 2

I've just did a deep dive on Anthony Weaver and my god he is so incredibly connected to LaFleur and his coaching circles.

Anthony Weaver was at Houston in his final season as a player when LaFleur, Shanahan, McDaniel and Saleh was on staff.  Eventually he coached with Pettine and Hackett at the Bills, and again with Pettine, Shanahan, McDaniel at the Browns.

He already knows Vrable, Rebrovich and Downard on our staff.

He got 3-4 defence knowledge. He got knowledge of the current Baltimore defensive schemes and he has experienced Shanahan offensive schemes in training both as a coach and player.

Woah. Guaranteed he's at the very top of LaFleur's defensive coordinator list (and Miami's I bet)

It's about timing, first Baltimore needs to lose. secondly he needs to fall short of landing the Washington HC job then we have a real shot of getting him.

But if Baltimore loses, Seattle can interview McDonald for HC and if he gets it, that opens up the Ravens DC gig so Weaver will have three teams vying for his services, Baltimore, Miami and Green Bay.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

LOL .. Aaron Donald, Jalen Ramsey, Von Miller, Williams, Leonard Floyd, A Shawn Robinson; lots of players on defense.  Granted, it takes somebody to give a little guidance but that's a group that's damn good.  To say Staley is a defensive wizard because he was their D coordinator is also silly.

Miller wasn’t there with Staley. And never did I say he was a defensive wizard, in fact I voiced concern how much he leaned on Donald and Ramsey. I don’t know what/how much his contributions were. 

Guess you were wrong on both .