Boston College Head Coach Jeff Hafley is Packers New DC

2024 DC Search  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT to be the next DC?

• Jeff Hafley
    • Jim Leonhard
    • Wink Martindale
    • Ejiro Evero
    • Christian Parker
    • Zach Orr
    • Jesse Minter
    • Anthony Weaver
    • Chris Hewitt
    • Al Harris
    • Larry Foote
    • Aden Durde
    • Dennard Wilson
    • Aubrey Pleasant
    • Brandon Staley
    • Joe Barry
    • Bobby Babich
    • Mike Vrabel
    • Leslie Frazier
    • Chris Harris

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2024 at 01:07 AM

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

this resume?

•Wisconsin (2016) Defensive backs coach

•Wisconsin (2017–2022) Defensive coordinator & defensive backs coach

•Wisconsin (2022) Interim head coach

•Illinois (2023) Senior football analyst

Ehhh feels like a lot of wishful thinking by Badgers fans wanting him in GB in the poll. 

23 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

I’m not saying he’s not a legit candidate. He’d clearly be an upgrade from Barry but so would Marvin Berry lol. 

Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but that first post sounds a lot like someone who's questioning whether Leonhard is a legit candidate.

I wouldn’t absolutely hate Staley because he’s young enough to want to try again as head coach, but I’d still kinda hate it. I could convince myself it wasn’t a poor choice at least.

Babbich intrigues me. Would love our current roster with a 4-3 look.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

Now the newswire is cooking.

Aden Durde kind of looks like my local shawarma guy, and there are few people I trust more, in my life 

Damn, I still remember the nightly shawarma runs we would make from our camp outside of Riyadh during Desert Storm.  Crazy delicious.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Would imagine Durde and Babich are 4-3 guys too. Potentially big news for those who have wanted the switch back. 

The Packers rarely fall into NFL fads. They did with the 3-4. All benefits to the 3-4 defense have gone, leaving the benefit in the 4-3.

Today, prototypical 4-3 defensive ends are overlooked based on coach preference on coverage abilities.

I’d love to see Gary/Clark/Wyatt/LVN with Preston as the Sam. Still be able to use his coverage ability while having a fifth plus rusher.

• Like 1

I think there's something specific about the Shanahan offensive scheme that requires a specific type of defence to pair it with.

Packers, Rams, Miami all have Shanahan offences and Fangio defences. 49ers and Jets had Saleh with whatever scheme he runs, I assume something akin to Seattle 4-3 under which the Legion of Boom played in because Saleh was in Seattle and followed Gus Bradley to Jacksonville. To be fair i;m not sure if that was a Gus Bradley scheme or a Dan Quinn scheme.

I'm think the reason for this is that they have high powered offences which means scoring points quickly so they would need a defence that can stay on the field a long time, burn the clock without giving up big points hence the "bend but don't break" defences that we employ. It allows the offence to have a breather in between possessions.

A defence that is too effective, generating lots of 3 and outs would mean the offence would be on the field alot. It's all about striking the right balance of all three phases of the game. This is something that fans under appreciate when choosing coordinators. A run first, control the clock offence would need a high powered defence. A high powered offence would need a bend but don't break defence. That's the theory i'm going with anyway.

With that logic in mind i'm unsure what defence Saleh employs because if it's 4-3 under then it is an explosive defence which should not mesh well with Shanahan offences. Seattle in their prime was a run first, control the clock offence and it was paired with an absolutely dominant defence.

It's not surprising that all three teams, the Packers, Rams and Miami have interviews lined up with Brandon Staley.

If we want a 4-3 defence am I right in guessing we do not want a Dan Quinn type defence because Shanahan offences completely destroy them. If we want to get past the 49ers and Rams then it would be a bad match. What 4-3 defensive scheme should we be looking for instead and what coaches are available for it?

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

His named popped up the other day when I was reading. I think it was Vance Joseph that raved about him.

Yeah I posted a link about him, started as a quality control guy here under Pettine. Hackett took him to Denver so he worked under Eviro and now Joseph. 

I still think it's too early for him, but we'll see, I thought it was early for Eviro. 

• Like 1