Justin Jefferson: Jets cleared for takeoff for 5 years (New contract! p.10)

vike daddy

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Jefferson's cap hits:

2024 - $8.5 mil
2025 - $15.3 mil
2026 - $39.1 mil
2027 - $43.4 mil
2028 - $47.3 mil
2029 - $6.0 mil (dead)

Spotrac.com

Love that the structure of the deal goes easy on the 2025 cap. 

Assuming that 2025 will be McCarthy's first year as the full time starter Kwesi is gonna have all the money he needs to surround him with top end free agent talent 

Edited by viking
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

JJets2.jpg

at least the basketball guy (KAT?) isn't a diva since he's not wearing sunglasses for the pic, but are those DIAMOND EARINGS he has?

i mean, that's pretty diva-ish, no?

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Jefferson's cap hits:

2024 - $8.5 mil
2025 - $15.3 mil
2026 - $39.1 mil
2027 - $43.4 mil
2028 - $47.3 mil
2029 - $6.0 mil (dead)

Spotrac.com

Looks like Spotrac is assuming that 30m 2025 option bonus will be a signing bonus, with the 6m cap hit spread out over the rest of the contract, with adding an additional void year for 6m dead money. Sounds fine to me, when I was doing back napkin math, I had it around 15m too.

Vikings right now have like 55M in cap space for 2025. But they have 27m for 2024. The DT and JJM rookie bonuses will be around 5.25m for this year total, plus the 3-5m for Risner, and they should be around 18-21m of cap space for 2024.

They can easily carry over 15m of unused cap space into 2025, so they can be cookin' with around 70m before they need to do anything else. And they have other avenues to free up space (restructures with ONeill and Greenard, extension for Darrisaw).

They are very healthy to push some chips in the middle of the table next year as they roster build with a rookie QB contract.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

The Jefferson contract is big — more than any non-quarterback in football — but larger than one might imagine going over the initial reported numbers.

Jefferson is going to receive much more money in the first three years of his deal than anyone else not playing quarterback. Aside from Bosa, it’s not particularly close.

[Jefferson] will definitively see $106 million deposited in his bank account barring an extraordinary circumstance like an early retirement or an arrest that invalidates his guarantees.

Hill, by contrast, only sees an average of $25 million over the first three years of the deal, with the numbers pushing the average up to $30 million coming in the fourth and fifth years of the contract, which are not guaranteed for injury or through any practical rolling trigger.

Jefferson, in real terms, is getting paid more than any other non-quarterback in football. The difference is significant — instead of paper money that disappears on actual evaluation, Jefferson is one of the most well-compensated players to suit up for a team in the NFL.

And it’s worth it.

https://www.wideleft.football/p/the-justin-jefferson-deal-is-bigger

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, vike daddy said:

JJets2.jpg

at least the basketball guy (KAT?) isn't a diva since he's not wearing sunglasses for the pic, but are those DIAMOND EARINGS he has?

i mean, that's pretty diva-ish, no?

That’s Anthony Edwards (ANT) @vike daddy

ANT AiN’T no Diva. 😂 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

On Tuesday, Jefferson said at a press conference that he loves the “new energy” and confidence that McCarthy has brought to the locker room and said that he relishes the chance to guide the rookie into his first pro season.

Jefferson: “I talked to J.J. as soon as he got drafted. I told him confidence is key, just coming into this league with confidence and being able to have that leadership just right off the bat being a rookie. There’s going to be people to come and help. Of course, I’m going to be that main person to be in his ear and try to teach him and try to prepare him for what we’re about to go through. But I told him this league is tough. It’s not an easy job to come out here and perform at the highest ability, especially as a rookie. But I definitely will be that main person that he can lean on and help throughout the way. It comes with being a leader of the team.” 

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/justin-jefferson-plans-to-be-main-person-in-j-j-mccarthys-ear-to-prepare-him

whoaaaaa... look at that maturity coming out of JJets. the anti-diva.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

This front office is again showing why the Vikings rank so high in player satisfaction. They take care of their players and dealing good faith. It is a first class organization. Hopefully that will translate into some Super Bowls!

maybe one step along that way is that it translates next year into some big free agent signings.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I can't believe trading Stefon Diggs ended up being one of the greatest things to happen to the franchise. Half of the people thought this guy was going to suck or was just a slot guy. It turns out he is better in literally every way. The film speaks for itself, but Jettas is just a total class act also. He has never caused any issues, even last offseason when he could have skipped OTA's and training camp but opted to be here for his team. You never heard any leaks saying how unhappy he was here and that he wanted out, nor did he have any tweets that were Zodiac-level in being cryptic. 

I will always laugh that Spielman brought us Jefferson and Darrisaw in back-to-back years and then got canned. Thank you for the parting gifts RIck, but this new regime has got me absolutely jacked. If it doesn't work out in the end, you can't fault them for trying something different and taking some huge swings. 

Edited by AP_allday2869
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, AP_allday2869 said:

It turns out he is better in literally every way. The film speaks for itself, but Jettas is just a total class act also.

JJets' current move to accepting the responsibility of being a leader is just fantastic. he's going to be one of those guys "who makes everyone around him better."

• Like 2