Justin Jefferson: Jets cleared for takeoff for 5 years (New contract! p.10)

vike daddy

13 hours ago, vike daddy said:

On Tuesday, Jefferson said at a press conference that he loves the “new energy” and confidence that McCarthy has brought to the locker room and said that he relishes the chance to guide the rookie into his first pro season.

Jefferson: “I talked to J.J. as soon as he got drafted. I told him confidence is key, just coming into this league with confidence and being able to have that leadership just right off the bat being a rookie. There’s going to be people to come and help. Of course, I’m going to be that main person to be in his ear and try to teach him and try to prepare him for what we’re about to go through. But I told him this league is tough. It’s not an easy job to come out here and perform at the highest ability, especially as a rookie. But I definitely will be that main person that he can lean on and help throughout the way. It comes with being a leader of the team.” 

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/justin-jefferson-plans-to-be-main-person-in-j-j-mccarthys-ear-to-prepare-him

whoaaaaa... look at that maturity coming out of JJets. the anti-diva.

Yeah...I  don't know anything about how he grew up, but the adults in his life must be proud!

7 hours ago, AP_allday2869 said:

I can't believe trading Stefon Diggs ended up being one of the greatest things to happen to the franchise. Half of the people thought this guy was going to suck or was just a slot guy. It turns out he is better in literally every way. The film speaks for itself, but Jettas is just a total class act also. He has never caused any issues, even last offseason when he could have skipped OTA's and training camp but opted to be here for his team. You never heard any leaks saying how unhappy he was here and that he wanted out, nor did he have any tweets that were Zodiac-level in being cryptic. 

I will always laugh that Spielman brought us Jefferson and Darrisaw in back-to-back years and then got canned. Thank you for the parting gifts RIck, but this new regime has got me absolutely jacked. If it doesn't work out in the end, you can't fault them for trying something different and taking some huge swings. 

I think it's safe to say now that we won the Jefferson/Diggs trade. 

By a fair margin too...

Speaking at a press conference announcing the deal, Adofo-Mensah made it very clear that this deal and the future of Jefferson were never up in the air. He confirmed they never entertained any trade scenarios, while also stating that this process was never frustrating or prolonged. He explained it as a negotiation that started last offseason, took a break, and returned to it this offseason to finish it.

Kwesi: “There was never a second in my mind that we weren’t going to be here.”

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2024/06/05/vikings-gm-never-a-second-in-my-mind-justin-jefferson-extension-wouldnt-get-done/?

more information coming out...

The Vikings just made Justin Jefferson the highest-paid non-quarterback in NFL history, but earlier this offseason there were some doubts as to whether the deal would get done. So before the draft, teams called the Vikings and tried to trade for Jefferson, and one of those teams was the 49ers according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

"Never ever got close," Schefter said. "Some teams reached out. The New York Jets reached out about Justin Jefferson. The Indianapolis Colts reached out about Justin Jefferson, you know that? The 49ers reached out about Justin Jefferson, you know that?"

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/49ers-tried-to-trade-for-vikings-wr-justin-jefferson-this-offseason-01hzn80nche7#:~:text=So before the draft%2C teams,got close%2C" Schefter said.

• Like 1

A lot of talk of course about Justin Jefferson and his most receiving yards ever in his first four years....

Jerry Rice who is currently 6th on that list has a record of 40-19 in those first four years (Playoffs four of those four years, Won the Super Bowl, Divisional x2 and Wild Card losses.

Torry Holt who is currently 5th on that list has a record of 44-20 in those first four years (Playoffs three of those years, Won the Super Bowl, lost a Super Bowl and lost in a wild card game)

CeeDee Lamb who is currently 4th on that list has a record of 42-25 (Playoffs three of those years, Divisional and Wild Card x2 losses.

Randy Moss currently 3rd on the list had the record of 41-23 (Playoffs three of those years, NFC Title game x2, Divisional Round losses)

Michael Thomas who is currently 2nd on the list  had a record of 44-20  (Playoffs three of those years, NFC title game, Divisional round and Wild Card Round losses)

Justin Jefferson obviously #1 on the list has a career record of 30-30 (Playoffs one of those four years, lost in the Wild Card)

Ja'Marr Chase with a good season next year should be in that potential top 5 range of most receiving yards in NFL history in their first four years.  He has a career record of 28-17 (playoffs two of those three years, lost the Super Bowl and lost in the AFC Title game)

They all played with pretty solid QBs, HOF guys in Montana, Brees and Warner and super talented in Burrow and Randy had three different guys but it was Randy Moss so who cares and Dak Prescott who is so so of course but has had great regular seasons the last three years and in the playoffs consistently.  

Justin Jefferson better hope McCarthy is a super star QB, because he cannot do it by himself and proof is here and he is by far the least successful of any of these WRs in terms of winning and getting to the playoffs and winning.  Sure it is not all about the WR but they did pay him like it is, so he will have to start winning when it matters.  Maybe Kirk Cousins was holding him back who knows but either way QB has to be a huge hit if the team is going to win, it is not about Justin Jefferson getting a bunch of yards only.  And all of those guys won and some at a very high level, Justin has yet to do that.  It will be interesting how he does with his contract and if he can stay healthy.  Otherwise they are just stats and really who cares if the team does not win when it matters.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Jjets4.jpg

Compare the averages per minute played.  Jefferson only has to play offense and a seventeen-game season. He's doing decent enough.

Also, consider how many players play in the NFL compared to the NBA.  Odds of making it into either league are quite small, but a higher percentage of people make it into the NFL.

But yeah, also consider the injury risk.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cearbhall said:

Compare the averages per minute played.  Jefferson only has to play offense and a seventeen-game season. He's doing decent enough.

Also, consider how many players play in the NFL compared to the NBA.  Odds of making it into either league are quite small, but a higher percentage of people make it into the NFL.

But yeah, also consider the injury risk.

Agreed. It generally comes down to the available spots. There are far fewer NBA players than there are NFL players.  Jefferson only has to play one time a week, while Poole has to play sometimes 2-3 times a week for a regular season that lasts 6 months minimum, while the NFL regular season is only about 4.  

• Like 1