Will the Ravens ever win the Superbowl with Lamar Jackson?

Slingin' Sammy

Lamar haters been more right about Lamar than the supporters. 

Today, The play call, this is the same as the titans, no help, wasted the defense. Brother so what’s gonna change? A 3rd mvp? insanity this was re reading the titans thread from 3-5 years ago. Guy wasted the best DVOA defense he’s ever going to have. But keep throwing those numbers to support him. Every advance metric couldn’t save him. 2 one seeds wasted. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

This was Lamar's first year in a modern passing offense and he'll likely win MVP.

I think he'll continue to get better as a passer, and it'll be easier to build a passing offense around him since he's now proven he can flourish in a real NFL offense. WRs will be easier to sign/extend.

I don't believe he has some fatal flaw that will prevent him from winning a Super Bowl. But it's hard to do.

I do think Lamar's prime will be ages 30-33.  

Lmao I don't. He's definitely improved as a passer, but as evident by today, he still has legit flaws when it comes to passing the ball. Unless he drastically improves in that area he's gonna age poorly once that athleticism starts to disappear.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Lmao I don't. He's definitely improved as a passer, but as evident by today, he still has legit flaws when it comes to passing the ball. Unless he drastically improves in that area he's gonna age poorly once that athleticism starts to disappear.

He used to have several legit flaws. Now he has fewer. He puts in the work and improves on at least one facet of his game every off-season. My guess is that will continue to happen. 

1 minute ago, AngusMcFife said:

He used to have several legit flaws. Now he has fewer. He puts in the work and improves on at least one facet of his game every off-season. My guess is that will continue to happen. 

Sure, but will he improve enough in that area that he'll be "in his prime" once his athleticism starts to go? I'm not even saying he'll necessarily be terrible or anything when he's that age, but to say he'll be in his prime seems like wishful thinking as a Baltimore fan.

1 minute ago, DawgX said:

Sure, but will he improve enough in that area that he'll be "in his prime" once his athleticism starts to go? I'm not even saying he'll necessarily be terrible or anything when he's that age, but to say he'll be in his prime seems like wishful thinking as a Baltimore fan.

Improve on being 3rd best passer rating in the NFL? I think if he maintains that, it'll be fine.

• Like 1

The scary thing is; this was the Chiefs’ worse record since Mahomes took over. Burrow went down this year. Herbert went down (not that we thought much of the Chargers anyway, but maybe with Harbaugh going forward), Rodgers went down, Lawrence went down, the Ravens defense was #1 in the league with their own version of the “triple crown”, Jackson’s probably winning MVP (albeit a weak one), they got a rookie QB and rookie HC in the first round, they got KC in their building…and Baltimore still came up short. If KC was going to get knocked off, I really thought this was everyone’s best chance (mainly Buffalo/Baltimore). 

Lamar and the Ravens definitely could do it, as can plenty of teams. The thing is, there are lots of good QBs in the AFC right now. Lots of guys that, if looking at them individually, you’d probably say “yeah, I think this guy wins a SB in his career, at some point” - and there’s only so many years these guys have to play. Mahomes, Josh, Burrow, Lamar, Herbert, Stroud, plus everyone in the NFC and the random SB run someone might go on. Those first handful of guys might have 10 years left, but they’re all in the same conference. Is the AFC gonna win 6/10 of the SBs? Let’s say they do, that leaves one each. It’s dicey, you can’t really assume that that happens. 

But yeah. He could win one (or more). Lots of players could. But the odds are against anyone not named Patrick Mahomes.

• Like 4

People are deluding themselves if they think Lamar can win in the playoffs. Guy had all day to throw today and still couldn't get it done when his defense held the Chiefs to 17. He is a great regular season QB and is a very exciting player. He isn't the type of guy to make big throws in the playoffs when they are needed.