Super Bowl LVIII: Kansas City Chiefs vs. San Francisco 49ers

Chiefs or 49ers  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins Super Bowl 58?

• Chiefs
    • 49ers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/11/2024 at 11:30 PM

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

I haven't seen all his games, but some.

I think generally speaking he throws with anticipation and accurately and processes concepts very well.   This is not nothing. 

Few people throw well with a guy in their face.  That is the point of trying to generate pressure.   

He has done this with very limited offseason reps, had to compete for a job twice and been badly injured - all in a very young career.

People in Chicago still say it is grossly unfair that Justin Fields is unlikely to get more development time with Bears past this draft.  But Purdy is expected to be 9th year Peyton Manning for some reason.  

Is he a star QB?  No.  Not yet.  But people routinely, unfairly downplay his achievements.

I believe this is mostly because of where he was drafted and because he is not an elite athlete. 

People downplay his achievements because the opposite side of the spectrum is often the argument that he is an elite QB or close to it lol. I don't think I downplayed anything about his game last night though. He played well. He did his job. He wasn't asked to carry the Niners and he played well within his role. The lights weren't to bright for him and he showed a ton of poise.

That said he just managed the game. There isn't anything wrong with that... it is just what happened. The Niners have a ton of talent and a great offensive system. If the Niners are asking him to do more than that something has gone wrong.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Purdy looked like the same guy he was all year which is a pretty good thing. When he sat in a clean pocket he was pretty solid for the most part. He had his classic 2-3 boneheaded throws over the middle that could have been disasters and he made one great play on the throw on the sideline to the FB. He.... managed the game(please don't murder me but it is true)

Nope, thats what he was last night. 

He manages pressure really well for the most part. But he couldn't make anything special happen either. But limiting the negative really helped keep them in the game because damn near everyone else was having a rough go of it on offense lol  

He's not a "special" qb when it comes to actually playing the position, which is fine. That's a pretty limited group. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

The belief is that the RG actually messed up here. 

Wouldn't be the first time for Burford. Long history of screwing up protections 

The C sweeps around to sell the CMC run and I'm not sure if the RG is supposed to pick up the guy who appears to be faking a blitz to drop into the spy, so I can see that, but he does drop back to pick up the late inside blitzer #20.

But I have no idea wtf the RT is doing here and I'm not sure if that's on him, the protection, or honestly after watching this like 30x - maybe it was just a perfect blitz stunt setup vs a cutesy playcall.

1 minute ago, Soggust said:

The C sweeps around to sell the CMC run and I'm not sure if the RG is supposed to pick up the guy who appears to be faking a blitz to drop into the spy, so I can see that, but he does drop back to pick up the late inside blitzer #20.

But I have no idea wtf the RT is doing here and I'm not sure if that's on him, the protection, or honestly after watching this like 30x - maybe it was just a perfect blitz stunt setup vs a cutesy playcall.

It's impossible to know without knowing the actual calls and protections, but there was some push back that it was all on Mckivitz. This probably explains it better than I could, but without knowing the actual protection calls (which is handled by Brendel), you'll notice a lot of "ifs" in the breakdown 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

Nope, thats what he was last night. 

He manages pressure really well for the most part. But he couldn't make anything special happen either. But limiting the negative really helped keep them in the game because damn near everyone else was having a rough go of it on offense lol  

He's not a "special" qb when it comes to actually playing the position, which is fine. That's a pretty limited group. 

Yeah I am not trying to insult the guy when I say it just putting into perspective what I saw with how he played. The Niners aren't built to need a super star QB performance(which really makes the Trey Lance pick that much more confusing) so it isn't a knock on Purdy to say he didn't perform like one. He played well and was far from the reason they lost. Their offense in general just didn't perform to their potential for various reasons.

The biggest difference between the first half and the second half was the OL imo. The Niners were winning up front in the first half. That wasn't the case in the second half.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's impossible to know without knowing the actual calls and protections, but there was some push back that it was all on Mckivitz. This probably explains it better than I could, but without knowing the actual protection calls (which is handled by Brendel), you'll notice a lot of "ifs" in the breakdown 

oh wow i see it now. it's so hard to see even blown up full screen.

the LG and RG double team a QB spy, which seems inherently wrong lol. 

I can absolutely see that now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I mean when a guy like Chris Jones is on the other team you literally change the rules of your protections to get more hands on him. It is mind blowing that somehow everyone but him gets touched on this play lol. Impossible to know responsibilities, but you have to wonder how this even happens. Coaching isn't blameless here imo. Surely in our two weeks of meetings we are stressing that when 95 is lined up across from you priority number one is at least touching him lol.

14 hours ago, lavar703 said:

He’s pretty god damn good lol. The hate he receives from folks is weird. 

He is good! He is absolutely not an elite QB however and his supporting cast and Shanahan is the only reason people think he is. He's comfortably 7-11ish, which is not a bad thing. Just not a game changer.

• Like 1

Ultimately for the niners, everyone just has to be a little better. 

Purdy was fine, but he wasn't good. Overall in his career, his playoff performance has been a step back from what he has done in the regular season. Totally fair to say. Is that a brock thing or a shanny thing, I don't know. But a little better, you probably win the super bowl. 

Kyle was slightly underwhelming in my opinion, but he wasn't a mess. A little better, and he probably wins the super bowl lol. 

When you don't have that special QB, your margins are just thinner. And I think Purdy is fine, but he's not that special guy. So when things like only recovering 1 of 6 or 7 balls that hit the ground during a game happen, that's going to have a bigger impact on you than it would on a guy like Mahomes or Allen or Jackson. You can't miss that throw to Deebo even if jones is barreling down on you. Special Qbs make that throw, so when you miss that opportunity, its 3 instead of 7. You can't give up a possession at the end of the first half for no reason like Kyle did. 

So many of what kyle does would probably have so much more leniency if he had a QB like Mahomes or Allen. And again, not a knock on Purdy, who I think was fine and is a good QB...but there is a difference. 

And it's not even the elite of the elite guys. A guy like Stafford even affords you a much wider berth 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Ultimately for the niners, everyone just has to be a little better. 

Purdy was fine, but he wasn't good. Overall in his career, his playoff performance has been a step back from what he has done in the regular season. Totally fair to say. Is that a brock thing or a shanny thing, I don't know. But a little better, you probably win the super bowl. 

Kyle was slightly underwhelming in my opinion, but he wasn't a mess. A little better, and he probably wins the super bowl lol. 

When you don't have that special QB, your margins are just thinner. And I think Purdy is fine, but he's not that special guy. So when things like only recovering 1 of 6 or 7 balls that hit the ground during a game happen, that's going to have a bigger impact on you than it would on a guy like Mahomes or Allen or Jackson. You can't miss that throw to Deebo even if jones is barreling down on you. Special Qbs make that throw, so when you miss that opportunity, its 3 instead of 7. You can't give up a possession at the end of the first half for no reason like Kyle did. 

So many of what kyle does would probably have so much more leniency if he had a QB like Mahomes or Allen. And again, not a knock on Purdy, who I think was fine and is a good QB...but there is a difference. 

And it's not even the elite of the elite guys. A guy like Stafford even affords you a much wider berth 

Would you say that McVay has always had a better QB than Shanny going back to the Goff days? Or is that way too strong?

8 minutes ago, HerbertGOAT said:

He is good! He is absolutely not an elite QB however and his supporting cast and Shanahan is the only reason people think he is. He's comfortably 7-11ish, which is not a bad thing. Just not a game changer.

What about the games he changed? He was pretty dynamic in the 2nd half vs detroit 

33 minutes ago, Soggust said:

That RT was holding a lot too

22 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I mean when a guy like Chris Jones is on the other team you literally change the rules of your protections to get more hands on him. It is mind blowing that somehow everyone but him gets touched on this play lol. Impossible to know responsibilities, but you have to wonder how this even happens. Coaching isn't blameless here imo. Surely in our two weeks of meetings we are stressing that when 95 is lined up across from you priority number one is at least touching him lol.

Last Super Bowl the Niners routinely triple teamed him, it’s quite the choice to not block him entirely. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

When you don't have that special QB, your margins are just thinner. 

Agree with everything you said, but I'm going to clip this quote to add on that the margins are super thin, even with a special QB.

Like, we might have the greatest QB to ever play the game and we barely squeaked out a win in the last seconds of OT against a 12-5 team led by a 7th round QB starting his first full season, despite getting two turnovers and having an unreal defense, GOAT-ish TE and GOAT-ish HC and giving our RB 18 carries. 

I don't even think you need a special QB to win (although Mahomes/Brady are really screwing up my argument here), or even to play much better across the board - I think you guys just need better luck imo lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Agree with everything you said, but I'm going to clip this quote to add on that the margins are super thin, even with a special QB.

Like, we might have the greatest QB to ever play the game and we barely squeaked out a win in the last seconds of OT against a 12-5 team led by a 7th round QB starting his first full season, despite getting two turnovers and having an unreal defense, GOAT-ish TE and GOAT-ish HC and giving our RB 18 carries. 

I don't even think you need a special QB to win (although Mahomes/Brady are really screwing up my argument here), or even to play much better across the board - I think you guys just need better luck imo lol.

There's always luck in any SB run.

That being said, a GOAT barely winning the SB is great for the NFL parity narrative. 

• Like 2