Super Bowl LVIII: Kansas City Chiefs vs. San Francisco 49ers

Chiefs or 49ers  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins Super Bowl 58?

• Chiefs
    • 49ers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/11/2024 at 11:30 PM

On 2/12/2024 at 9:55 AM, Forge said:

McDuffie yes, he has to hit Aiyuk there. 

Jones, no. Not really anything he can do there because of the play. JJ is clearly first, and I would assume Deebo or Kittle second, and CMC third. There's no hot read there unless it's Kittle, but I can't imagine that is the case because he's a delay route.  Aiyuk seems like more of a clear in the tree. 

Shrug GIFs on GIPHY - Be Animated

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Forge said:

To be fair, the safety was jumping the HELL out of Aiyuk on this play as well. You can't see it from this picture but Aiyuk wasn't wide open here.

-----------------------------------

Random thought not related to this play and not directed at anyone in particular - when the chips were down and it was do-or-die, the biggest difference I think was SF tried to be really cute/advanced with their play-call/protection and KC simplified everything.

SF ran a pulling guard + PA + Jet Sweep action and the result was their backup RG blocked left instead of right and it blew the play. KC ran a one-read, one-route roll out for the Superbowl winning play. I think that says everything about Andy Reid and how awesome of a coach he is when things are in the clutch. Simplifies and just lets the players make plays, but also calls the perfect play in that situation, and the simplicity of the motion wins by itself.

• Like 2

Be the browns and literally draft one HOF a player the last 20 years or suffer and burn like the Niners have ?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3TN3kTPKxX/?igsh=ZWI2YzEzYmMxYg==

which is worse and what would you prefer? Think about it before you say Niners easy. As a die hard fan, can one take that much heart break? As a Rams fan we got our as kicked for 14 straight years. Legit not one playoff appearance. So I kinda felt both and I couldn’t imagine the heart break. I was devastated after we lost a trash falcons team in 18. We all left the coliseum saying next year. Next year for sure. I thought I wasted a whole year of my life and my GF dumped me. Man that was so painful… 

7 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

To be fair, the safety was jumping the HELL out of Aiyuk on this play as well. You can't see it from this picture but Aiyuk wasn't wide open here.

This is why JTO has an entire video titled "Don't screenshot QB". Which applies to everything, but he just calls it that.

You're right that in real-time Aiyuk isn't open at all, and if Purdy threw that to Aiyuk it could have been an INT. Screenshots never do a play justice, and I hope in the future more people that choose to spotlight plays pick up on this. At least the invested content creators don't. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

SF ran a pulling guard + PA + Jet Sweep action and the result was their backup RG blocked left instead of right and it blew the play. KC ran a one-read, one-route roll out for the Superbowl winning play. I think that says everything about Andy Reid and how awesome of a coach he is when things are in the clutch. Simplifies and just lets the players make plays, but also calls the perfect play in that situation, and the simplicity of the motion wins by itself.

100%.

And kudos to Big Red for all year sitting back and being so bland with his offense, and waiting for the big moments to pull out the wrinkles.  I think it was Baldy who pointed out the one read roll out play was the first time KC used it all year with the motion in, roll out.  All season when they ran that the motion continued, and it was a TE2 sneaking along the back line.  This was the first time TE2 stuck, TE1 ran a stick, and the motion man rolled back out on the motion.  And you can 100% tell that SF wasn't prepared for that.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Forge said:

It’s kinda hard when a blitzer is in your face and there a S crashing down on Aiyuk. Spagz already knows the rules of offense, you throw the ball into the void behind the blitz, and he sets up counters for that 

Edited by Chiefer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

It’s kinda hard when a blitzer is in your face and there a S crashing down on Aiyuk. Spagz already knows the rules of offense, you throw the ball into the void behind the blitz, and he sets up counters for that 

Those windows aren't going to be perfect. You see that blitz, grip it and rip it. Over simplification, but that's generally how you counter it. You're throwing where the blitz is coming from pretty often

There's a window there and he knows he missed it, that's why he's saying that's where he should have gone. 

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

Those windows aren't going to be perfect. You see that blitz, grip it and rip it. Over simplification, but that's generally how you counter it. You're throwing where the blitz is coming from pretty often

There's a window there and he knows he missed it, that's why he's saying that's where he should have gone. 

If there is a window, it’s a very very small window. Problem is McDuffie disguises it well, he pretends he’s in coverage until Purdy drops his eyes to grab the snap. He runs in behind a tackle, and by the time Purdy sees him he’s already in his face and he’s gotta try to throw it and not get sacked. 

Like it’s next to instantaneous, and would require Brock to throw it around McDuffie and a crowded right side of the line. Tough, tough throw. 

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

100%.

And kudos to Big Red for all year sitting back and being so bland with his offense, and waiting for the big moments to pull out the wrinkles.  I think it was Baldy who pointed out the one read roll out play was the first time KC used it all year with the motion in, roll out.  All season when they ran that the motion continued, and it was a TE2 sneaking along the back line.  This was the first time TE2 stuck, TE1 ran a stick, and the motion man rolled back out on the motion.  And you can 100% tell that SF wasn't prepared for that.

TE1 didn't even run a stick lol you watch Kelce on this play he never even turns around, he takes a couple of steps forward then looks up at the jumbotron because he knows the play is over since the CB stuck with him.

Just an awesome play design

• Like 3

10 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

-----------------------------------

Random thought not related to this play and not directed at anyone in particular - when the chips were down and it was do-or-die, the biggest difference I think was SF tried to be really cute/advanced with their play-call/protection and KC simplified everything.

The SB Winning play wasn’t a one read one route roll out. If you’re talking about the OT TD, it was actually a designed shovel/handoff to the RB, the motion was just a fake. Reid figured since he won the SB last year with it that they’d be prepared for it, so used the motion as a decoy. But it was man coverage and they weren’t. I think he actually said Hardman was the third option on that play and Kelce was the second.

8 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

The SB Winning play wasn’t a one read one route roll out. If you’re talking about the OT TD, it was actually a designed shovel/handoff to the RB, the motion was just a fake. Reid figured since he won the SB last year with it that they’d be prepared for it, so used the motion as a decoy. But it was man coverage and they weren’t. I think he actually said Hardman was the third option on that play and Kelce was the second.

Ehhhhh idk...is there a video of him talking about that? How could it have been a shovel play with no shovel action? And Kelce literally didn't even turn around on his "route"

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

If there is a window, it’s a very very small window. Problem is McDuffie disguises it well, he pretends he’s in coverage until Purdy drops his eyes to grab the snap. He runs in behind a tackle, and by the time Purdy sees him he’s already in his face and he’s gotta try to throw it and not get sacked. 

Like it’s next to instantaneous, and would require Brock to throw it around McDuffie and a crowded right side of the line. Tough, tough throw. 

There is definitely a window there. JTO's breakdown gives a very clear look at it as well, just confirms what you see at first blush. 

I thought Purdy was mostly fine in this one, hardly the biggest issue...but this is one he just missed. On  the wide, you can see the space and the timing. Its 100% there for an NFL qb. He just doesn't throw it and he's looking. He's made this throw all year, so I don't think it's beyond his skillset. He just seemed shy. 

I will say that his lack of stature really showed up in this game. Not his ability to play the QB, I'm talking specifically about the physical limitations we all know he has.