Super Bowl LVIII: Kansas City Chiefs vs. San Francisco 49ers

Chiefs or 49ers  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins Super Bowl 58?

• Chiefs
    • 49ers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/11/2024 at 11:30 PM

3 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

Any details on the age of the person killed? An adult? Could have been a deranged 49er or Raider fan or some lunatics that were pissed that the city was wasting funds on another parade. Just speculating, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a host city parade having blatant acts of violence like this. Definitely premeditated.

Doesn't matter. A loon is a loon.

2 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

Any details on the age of the person killed? An adult? Could have been a deranged 49er or Raider fan or some lunatics that were pissed that the city was wasting funds on another parade. Just speculating, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a host city parade having blatant acts of violence like this. Definitely premeditated.

Was a middle aged (30-40s) Latina lady who got killed and her kids were shot iirc. 

I thought it was just a dude with a pistol mad at another dude but apparently 3 people arrested and,…..

5 hours ago, Soggust said:

lol @ the narrative that Nick Wright is pushing that "Mahomes changed his style of play to accommodate the defense"

Like what does that even mean? 

Are we really trying to rewrite Mahomes worst statistical year as wanting to play more conservative to 'fit' the defense better?

We really think Mahomes wanted those passes dropped, balls missed, INTs picked and games lost because he was just trying to "manage" instead of "put up MVP numbers because that wouldn't have led to a SB win"?

Nick has gone from my favorite sports guy to frustrating to watch, even as a fan. Thank god for Wildes and Brou.

Didn’t see that. Pretty irrational lol. Usually it’s only his Josh Allen takes

6 hours ago, Soggust said:

lol @ the narrative that Nick Wright is pushing that "Mahomes changed his style of play to accommodate the defense"

Are we really trying to rewrite Mahomes worst statistical year as wanting to play more conservative to 'fit' the defense better?

We really think Mahomes wanted those passes dropped, balls missed, INTs picked and games lost because he was just trying to "manage" instead of "put up MVP numbers because that wouldn't have led to a SB win"?

Nick has gone from my favorite sports guy to frustrating to watch, even as a fan. Thank god for Wildes and Brou.

I think he's talking more about the post season, and I do actually think it has merit. Entering the superbowl he had two sacks taken and zero turnover worthy passes through three post season games. And I only remember the one against San Fran, but it's possible I'm forgetting another.

Throughout much of the regular season, they did this poorly, and they wasted some fantastic defensive efforts because not only was the offense not moving the ball, but they were making huge mistakes and turning the ball over. The recipe for success clearly became to just kind of not **** things up and waste the defense's effort. Like, they win the game against Vegas on Christmas if the offense just doesn't **** the bed. Literally didn't need to do anything else. And we lost.

Like, you can't say Mahomes's level of aggressiveness and playstyle this post season is anything remotely similar to what it was inlike, 2019. It was dramatically safer, more conservative, live to fight another day football. I think he ended at like 70% completion this post season, but only 7 YPA. It isn't that he wanted those drops or picks or losses earlier on, it's that this post season was his adjustment to those things. The team found a new recipe for success by the end of the year than they had used in past years, and they had to, to be honest.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I think he's talking more about the post season, and I do actually think it has merit. Entering the superbowl he had two sacks taken and zero turnover worthy passes through three post season games. And I only remember the one against San Fran, but it's possible I'm forgetting another.

He had less turnovers in the playoffs last year, so what is to tell us he was uniquely conservative in limiting turnovers this year?

9 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Throughout much of the regular season, they did this poorly, and they wasted some fantastic defensive efforts because not only was the offense not moving the ball, but they were making huge mistakes and turning the ball over. The recipe for success clearly became to just kind of not **** things up and waste the defense's effort.

But as you said, he had more turnovers this year than any other year, so clearly he didn't do that in the regular season.

If the argument is "well he played better in the playoffs", I'm not sure I buy that being a fundamental shift in philosophy, given his prior playoff results. He's ALWAYS been good in the playoffs, and honestly, usually even better than he was this year.

10 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Like, they win the game against Vegas on Christmas if the offense just doesn't **** the bed. Literally didn't need to do anything else. And we lost.

I see 2 Turnovers. Pacheco fumbled, which isn't Mahomes altering his play. 

Mahomes did throw a pick 6, but I honestly don't remember the game enough to argue the details. I def don't remember Mahomes playing reckless and throwing the game away on ridiculously tight throws or overaggressive bombs, but it's very possible I am just misremembering. 

Still, Occom's razor seems like our offense was just struggling, as it did all year, and Mahomes just threw a bad pick idk.

16 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Like, you can't say Mahomes's level of aggressiveness and playstyle this post season is anything remotely similar to what it was inlike, 2019. It was dramatically safer, more conservative, live to fight another day football. I think he ended at like 70% completion this post season, but only 7 YPA. It isn't that he wanted those drops or picks or losses earlier on, it's that this post season was his adjustment to those things. The team found a new recipe for success by the end of the year than they had used in past years, and they had to, to be honest.

Well Nick was specifically calling out this year, so comparing to 19 seems a bit unfair because he was younger and more aggressive simply by virtue of less experience. Also, having Tyreek seems like it would adjust the big play numbers a bit lol. 

Furthermore, I would also argue there has been a HUGE fundamental shift in the league's philosophy over the last few years to combat the Mahomes/Burrow/Allen deep game by consistently dropping 2 deep and increasingly complex and disguised coverages. I think that's especially true this year, because NO QB had success to the degree we have seen in prior years. 

So like, did he average shorter completions and safer throws in this playoffs vs prior years? Sure. But "im going to play more conservatively because we have been bad all year" seems more of an indictment on the team than Mahomes looking for the game theory optimal approach to winning in the playoffs. 

tldr; - I feel like if they could have scored more, they would have scored more.

6 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Really sucks to hear what happened at the Superbowl parade. On a day that should be celebrated for the Chiefs going back to back it will be remembered for the senseless shooting that took place. I hope anyone who went to the parade were safe and didnt get harmed. And I hope justice will be serve to those who did the shooting. 

It shouldn't have to be this way, but this is why I avoid big social public gatherings where anybody can show up.  I was on campus for the UNC Charlotte shooting and without a doubt the scariest day of my life.  

It just isn't worth the risk, no matter how big or small.  Think about how many police were at the parade today and how little of a difference it made.  And when I say this I don't mean to imply the victims are at fault for deciding to go.  It just sucks that you almost have to consider it as a possibility if you do decide to go to stuff like this.  At least with something like a music festival anyone coming in has to have a ticket.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Soggust said:

Uh, it was very obvious in the playoffs that Mahomes wasn’t taking the deep shots as much to play conservative. Because we have a defense that can handle that when other years we didn’t.

You can literally see him on film double clutch risky deep throws because he doesn’t want to throw a turnover. 

Now the drops and penalties are one thing, and Mahomes missed some throws this year and had turnovers despite having his lowest TWP% of his entire career. But yeah he definitely changed his style up to work with what he’s got, that’s what you’re supposed to do lol

Don’t hate on our boy Nick, he’s got a point in there through all that Fanboyness and Homerism. 

Edited by Chiefer
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Uh, it was very obvious in the playoffs that Mahomes wasn’t taking the deep shots as much to play conservative. Because we have a defense that can handle that when other years we didn’t.

You can literally see him on film double clutch risky deep throws because he doesn’t want to throw a turnover. 

Now the drops and penalties are one thing, and Mahomes missed some throws this year and had turnovers despite having his lowest TWP% of his entire career. But yeah he definitely changed his style up to work with what he’s got, that’s what you’re supposed to do lol

?? I saw him throw a deep ball in the SB that arguably should have been picked.

I don't know the other plays you are referring to specifically, but simply double clutching or not taking the shot doesn't necessarily mean he's playing conservatively either.

It could very well be that defenses are playing him differently than previous years.

It could be that WRs not getting as much separation.

But even if you're right and Mahomes really was less aggressive, I think that's because the offense sucked (dramatizing here), not because "oh I'm only doing it for the defense".

-----------

I think the framing that frustrates me is not "Mahomes played a slightly more conservative brand of football in the playoffs this year".

That I would be fine with. 

It's the "Oh he could have played at an MVP level putting up big time stats when he wants to, but because he has a great defense, he just decided to tone down his stats this year to let the heart of the team shine because he can play any brand of football the situation calls for".

Like again - if they could have scored more and put up bigger numbers, they would have. It's really that simple imo.

Edited by Soggust

24 minutes ago, Soggust said:

?? I saw him throw a deep ball in the SB that arguably should have been picked.

I don't know the other plays you are referring to specifically, but simply double clutching or not taking the shot doesn't necessarily mean he's playing conservatively either.

It could very well be that defenses are playing him differently than previous years.

It could be that WRs not getting as much separation.

But even if you're right and Mahomes really was less aggressive, I think that's because the offense sucked (dramatizing here), not because "oh I'm only doing it for the defense".

-----------

I think the framing that frustrates me is not "Mahomes played a slightly more conservative brand of football in the playoffs this year".

That I would be fine with. 

It's the "Oh he could have played at an MVP level putting up big time stats when he wants to, but because he has a great defense, he just decided to tone down his stats this year to let the heart of the team shine because he can play any brand of football the situation calls for".

Like again - if they could have scored more and put up bigger numbers, they would have. It's really that simple imo.

Uh what are you talking about? Pat literally waited till the DB turned his head around to throw the ball, and at such an angle the dude had no idea where the ball was. So that’s false for sure. Now the actual interception was stupid, but that was very inexplicable that ball floated away from him, but that’s his first pick in 7 playoff games

I personally think he dials it back a little bit, while also ramping up in other areas. It’s an interesting dynamic to watch, teetering the line between conservative, running and YAC, and then also taking a big play when you can get it and doing something amazing

Just Highlights to me how great Mahomes is. He’s amazing without having to be the hero, but he knows when to put the cape on, or to put it away for a little while. 

Like don’t get me wrong, Nick is annoying. But I agree with him at least in the playoffs, which is what I think he means, that Patrick has a plan and he executes said plan. Especially when he’s had a whole year of great defense to lean on. 

Now if he’s saying the whole year, he’s just being hyperbolic to get people like you mad, and it’s obviously worked lmao,that’s how he gets views, clicks and comments

• Like 1

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3Tonv_MvIj/?igsh=ZWI2YzEzYmMxYg==

How the hell is Ward making 18 million? 
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/san-francisco-49ers

they have to trade Brandon to clear some cap space. Don’t know how many contracts they can restructure. -3 mil right now which is

not bad. See what happens, so many of their contracts are guaranteed and are barely kicking in. They have 2 more years of Purdy before they lose guys. The Deebo contract looks absolutely horrendous right now, they should have never paid him till it was time.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

It shouldn't have to be this way, but this is why I avoid big social public gatherings where anybody can show up.  I was on campus for the UNC Charlotte shooting and without a doubt the scariest day of my life.  

It just isn't worth the risk, no matter how big or small.  Think about how many police were at the parade today and how little of a difference it made.  And when I say this I don't mean to imply the victims are at fault for deciding to go.  It just sucks that you almost have to consider it as a possibility if you do decide to go to stuff like this.  At least with something like a music festival anyone coming in has to have a ticket.

Omg I can’t even imagine how scary that was for you. I hope you made it out safe and didn’t have any trauma or nothing from it. 

I was hearing a woman on tv say her experience today and that she won’t ever go to another parade again. I really felt for her bc it should never be like this.

Really it’s anywhere something bad like this can happen. Police are there but like sometimes it’s hard to stop something from coming when someone has pulled off really well. There are a lot of sick and twisted people out there. We just need to pray that everytime we go out that we make it back safely.

5 hours ago, Forge said:

He got beat a lot. 

Mike Pennell kicked his *** several times.

And that's before considering the penalties that killed a drive. 

But maybe he was on his butt less than I think and it's just more noticeable because it was trent on his butt....but I Don't think that was the case. I think he just played poorly 

Apparently he didn't allow a single pressure in pass pro. He did whiff on some key blocks in the run game for sure, and had those nasty penalties. 49ers did gain 70 yards when they rain his way overall. Only 11 yards the opposite side.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3Tonv_MvIj/?igsh=ZWI2YzEzYmMxYg==

How the hell is Ward making 18 million? 
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/san-francisco-49ers

they have to trade Brandon to clear some cap space. Don’t know how many contracts they can restructure. -3 mil right now which is

not bad. See what happens, so many of their contracts are guaranteed and are barely kicking in. They have 2 more years of Purdy before they lose guys. The Deebo contract looks absolutely horrendous right now, they should have never paid him till it was time.. 

They could free up like 98 million in cash via restructures if they wanted. 

Aiyuk will have a lower cap number with the extension. Wouldn't be surprised if they extend Ward at a lower number for 24 as well 

Money isn't really an issue. I expect the team and key pieces back