Super Bowl: San Francisco 49ers vs Kansas City Chiefs

7 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I agree we probably won't but Wilks just doesn't do it for me at this moment.

I backed him earlier in the season when fans were giving him grief but I just think he isn't very complex scheme wise and with his personnel.

The bliz packages are dull a very predictable.

He does throw some disguise on the back-end but it's not as layered or multiple as I think we need to be.

And I think in critical moments, he becomes way too predictable and passive.

Maybe because he doesn't trust a certain percentage of his personnel.

But whatever the reason, he reverts back to his tendencies alot on big downs and it gets exploited.

We were a lousy 3rd down defense pretty much all season and though the front four didn't really live up to their hype, I think what he calls at certain junctures in the game played a major part in that statistic as well.

Just my 2 cents...

How much of the defensive game plan was on kyle and not wilks?

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

If they don't take a guard in the first round, then one needs to be taken in the second round. We have four picks in the first three rounds and they all pretty much need to be OL/DL. This is a retool in the trenches type of draft. 

Do we have any money to spend in free agency???

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

It depends on who sticks at tackle. Like, I'd be surprised if Jordan Morgan isn't there, but there is a reality where he kicks inside in the NFL. The other option may be Guyton...good athlete, but I think he's a very flawed technically. 

I think this team would love Kiran Amegadjie, but he's a developmental guy. I'd say round 3, we probably have to take him in round 2, but I don't know that he's a year one starter. A lot of people have Suamatai in the first round, but he's another that may take a year to get going. 

I'm not a huge fan of going RG in the first, but I could see the merit of it if they think that is going to be a big help, even if they have to roll McKivitz at tackle another year. Like, Barton at 31 followed by Amegadjie in the second round. I don't think we are going to have a realistic shot at JPJ, unfortunately. There may be merit in this not having one side of the line being untested rookies. 

I could also see a world where they go Guyton in the first and Haynes in the second. 

I actually didn't think McKivitiz played all that bad as a first-year starter. He had some bad stretches but I never once remembered screaming at him through my TV the way I constantly was when McG was manning the right side.

I wouldn't be all that bummed if we had to roll with him again, next year@RT while we groomed a rookie.

But RG & Center have to be addressed.

McKivitiz looks better next to a more capable player@ RG imo.

Edited by 757-NINER

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

I actually didn't think McKivitiz played all that bad as a first-year starter. He had some bad stretches but I never once remembered screaming at him through my TV the way constantly did with McG.

I wouldn't be all that bummed if we had to roll with him again next year@RT while we groomed a rookie 

McKivitz is definitely not good. One of the worst in the league when it came to giving up the highest percentage of a team's pressures. He was top 10 in pressures allowed, top 5 in sacks allowed. He plays relatively clean, which is nice, but he's simply outmatched. In a perfect world, he's probably a swing tackle. 

But you may be able to continue to work with him if he has a better RG partner, I do agree with that. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I actually didn't think McKivitiz played all that bad as a first-year starter. He had some bad stretches but I never once remembered screaming at him through my TV the way I constantly was when McG was manning the right side.

I wouldn't be all that bummed if we had to roll with him again, next year@RT while we groomed a rookie.

The only play I remember I shook my head was a run where he went to block on the outside and the defender slipped by him to stop cmc.

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

McKivitz is definitely not good. One of the worst in the league when it came to giving up the highest percentage of a team's pressures. He was top 10 in pressures allowed, top 5 in sacks allowed. He plays relatively clean, which is nice, but he's simply outmatched. In a perfect world, he's probably a swing tackle. 

But you may be able to continue to work with him if he has a better RG partner, I do agree with that. 

I think a QB like Brock can mitigate some slippage on the right side.

I trust his ability to stay out of harms way and Shanny to help, if he knows where the one weakness upfront is.

But he can't be functional with interior pressure from DTs consistently barreling down on him, in his face.

He doesn't have the height, escapability, nor the arm talent to be adequate against that type of pressure. 

Which is why center and RG take precedence over RT, for me.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

It depends on who sticks at tackle. Like, I'd be surprised if Jordan Morgan isn't there, but there is a reality where he kicks inside in the NFL. The other option may be Guyton...good athlete, but I think he's a very flawed technically. 

I think this team would love Kiran Amegadjie, but he's a developmental guy. I'd say round 3, we probably have to take him in round 2, but I don't know that he's a year one starter. A lot of people have Suamatai in the first round, but he's another that may take a year to get going. 

I'm not a huge fan of going RG in the first, but I could see the merit of it if they think that is going to be a big help, even if they have to roll McKivitz at tackle another year. Like, Barton at 31 followed by Amegadjie in the second round. I don't think we are going to have a realistic shot at JPJ, unfortunately. There may be merit in this not having one side of the line being untested rookies. 

I could also see a world where they go Guyton in the first and Haynes in the second. 

I think that you have to take valuable players, especially at 31. Every year, there's weird fallers for NFL reasons. Whether if it's Laiatu Latu, Byron Murphy, JPJ, Dallas Turner, Bralen Trice, JC Latham, Jer'Zhan Newton or take your pick of top 20 quality caliber trench guy, you take whatever falls.

I don't dig Guyton for us specifically. He's got upside as a pass protector - crazy athlete but very high cut. So for us, even if he figures it out, I don't think that Kyle's going to want him as a run blocker. I'd honestly rather have Mims if the character checks out. I'm not sure either will be there, though. They are going to test like nutty athletes. Nutty athletes at tackle get picked regardless of college performance.

I dig Barton enough, but I'd rather take him only if he's a weird faller in the second round. I just don't think he's the sort of impact player that you need to come away with. Like, if you get like Christian Mahogany or Cooper Beebe as guards later on, you are doing just as well and maybe better. Plus, Barton's best spot long term is prolly center and while we could definitely improve on Brendel, that is not the spot we care most about.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DTMW78 said:

Do we have any money to spend in free agency???

Not really. I'm sure that we will dig up some coin in the couch cushions to make some signings that we feel we need, but money is kind of tight...we are really pushing it out to take the hit in 2 years or so. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not really. I'm sure that we will dig up some coin in the couch cushions to make some signings that we feel we need, but money is kind of tight...we are really pushing it out to take the hit in 2 years or so. 

What's the point of even spending any money right now when it's a given the team struggles to overcome this kind of heartbreaking ending once again. The 2018 Patriots were an exception to the norm to loss the SB in the previous season and then get back to win in the next season. Also that team at a HOF QB & HC.

This so-called championship window will close in 1-2 years and then it'll most likely be back to the pack in the NFC and same old same old. I think the only way the Niners can win another SB is if the AFC team is some team like the 1994 Chargers whom they know they can beat down. This year the Chiefs/Ravens/Bills were the teams in the AFC that the Niners couldn't handle. I don't even think the Niners might of been able to handle a Bengals team with a healthy Joe Burrow.

2 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

What's the point of even spending any money right now when it's a given the team struggles to overcome this kind of heartbreaking ending once again. The 2018 Patriots were an exception to the norm to loss the SB in the previous season and then get back to win in the next season. Also that team at a HOF QB & HC.

This so-called championship window will close in 1-2 years and then it'll most likely be back to the pack in the NFC and same old same old. I think the only way the Niners can win another SB is if the AFC team is some team like the 1994 Chargers whom they know they can beat down. This year the Chiefs/Ravens/Bills were the teams in the AFC that the Niners couldn't handle. I don't even think the Niners might of been able to handle a Bengals team with a healthy Joe Burrow.

So don't even try? 

Sorry, that's just a dumb take. 

• Like 2