The Commanders Head Coaching Thread - Commanders hire Dan Quinn, Dallas Cowboys DC

@Nell_BTP made a good point about Peters and Ran Carthon being close and that Vrabel had a terrible relationship with Carthon. Probably not getting glowing reviews from a trusted source.

He wants too much control which is why the Titans got rid of him. Ran Carthon, the Titans GM worked with Peters in SF so I imagine they have talked.

I guess we know now why Vrabel hasn’t got an interview.  

Edited by ARTMONK HOF

57 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

DC Sports 80

No on Vrabel due to his beef with Ran Carthon. Ran/Peters SF connect

So you don't even interview him?

A lot of initial interviews happened before Peters was even hired...

I’m just gonna say this about Dan Quinn. I know he’s been an amazing DC and maybe he has a Rivera vibe. But Parsons loves Quinn. I know another thing. DB’s thrive under Quinn. If Quinn can turn Curl and Forbes into the talents they can be then he’s a great hire. I get the Rivera thing is concerning but Quinn will have a GM and be focused on the team. Can Quinn get a respected staff? I believe he can. All this said I still prefer Macdonald. But I don’t think anyone is giving Quinn his flowers. I don’t look at Quinn as a bad hire because I personally think he’s a heck of a leader.

1 minute ago, ripsean21 said:

I’m just gonna say this about Dan Quinn. I know he’s been an amazing DC and maybe he has a Rivera vibe. But Parsons loves Quinn. I know another thing. DB’s thrive under Quinn. If Quinn can turn Curl and Forbes into the talents they can be then he’s a great hire. I get the Rivera thing is concerning but Quinn will have a GM and be focused on the team. Can Quinn get a respected staff? I believe he can. All this said I still prefer Macdonald. But I don’t think anyone is giving Quinn his flowers. I don’t look at Quinn as a bad hire because I personally think he’s a heck of a leader.

Quinn had two winning seasons as a headcoach in Atlanta out of 6 years. He had Matt Ryan the whole time and I'm pretty sure a decent roster. Going down this road is the path to nowhere. If Seattle, who knows Dan Quinn better than any other team in the league isn't interested how is that not a giant sign that this is a bad idea?

10 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Quinn had two winning seasons as a headcoach in Atlanta out of 6 years. He had Matt Ryan the whole time and I'm pretty sure a decent roster. Going down this road is the path to nowhere. If Seattle, who knows Dan Quinn better than any other team in the league isn't interested how is that not a giant sign that this is a bad idea?

Well I think the good news is that they are interested. Hes had multiple interviews with them as well, right?

could be they have Mike Macdonald #1 too and are awaiting his decision. 

22 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Well I think the good news is that they are interested. Hes had multiple interviews with them as well, right?

could be they have Mike Macdonald #1 too and are awaiting his decision. 

I guess what I find funny is I'm starting to see exactly what I saw when we hired Rivera. Where the fanbase mourns and then starts to come to terms with the fact we're hiring an unsuccessful retread in Quinn and then they start getting defensive of his hire.

Hiring Quinn is a mistake. He may be a great man and a great defensive mind but we saw what he was as a head coach. It didn't work. Its the same reason Raheem Morris isn't going to work in Atlanta. They just aren't good enough. I don't hate Dan Quinn but I don't think there is any real reason to head down this road. It's going to lead to us hiring a different coach in 3-4 years. But all signs point to it being Quinn. We've barely heard anything about MacDonald which leads me to believe this isn't happening. It's just a disappointing outcome after 4 years of a similar coach in Rivera. Just didn't expect this at all. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I guess what I find funny is I'm starting to see exactly what I saw when we hired Rivera. Where the fanbase mourns and then starts to come to terms with the fact we're hiring an unsuccessful retread in Quinn and then they start getting defensive of his hire.

Hiring Quinn is a mistake. He may be a great man and a great defensive mind but we saw what he was as a head coach. It didn't work. Its the same reason Raheem Morris isn't going to work in Atlanta. They just aren't good enough. I don't hate Dan Quinn but I don't think there is any real reason to head down this road. It's going to lead to us hiring a different coach in 3-4 years. But all signs point to it being Quinn. We've barely heard anything about MacDonald which leads me to believe this isn't happening. It's just a disappointing outcome after 4 years of a similar coach in Rivera. Just didn't expect this at all. 

It all depends on his leadership ability demonstrated during the interview, as well as his ability to delegate and establish a culture.  The fact that he had Kyle Shanahan on his staff could show that they are valuing someone from that coaching tree as an offensive coordinator.  Additionally, there is a lot that can be said, or not said, about working for Snyder/Allen-lite in Blank/McKay.  

That being said, it will still be an underwhelming hire.  But I can see why they’re looking at him.  This is going to be a big culture reset across the board, one that didn’t really happen under Rivera because Snyder was still here.  

Also, that we’re all still speculating, including the media, means that they’re doing the right thing and NOT zeroing in one someone.  

3 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Slowik is returning to Houston as well.

I think the general consensus is that he needs another year or so.  

A lot more goes into being a head coach besides being a great offensive mind.  I think that is often forgotten.  You have to be a great leader, accountable, have knowledge of the other side of the ball to hire correctly and most importantly, establish and maintain culture.  

I thought with seven openings he might have gotten a shot, but I don’t think he made it beyond Zoom interviews which definitely speaks to needing more seasoning in his current role.  

12 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It all depends on his leadership ability demonstrated during the interview, as well as his ability to delegate and establish a culture.  The fact that he had Kyle Shanahan on his staff could show that they are valuing someone from that coaching tree as an offensive coordinator.  Additionally, there is a lot that can be said, or not said, about working for Snyder/Allen-lite in Blank/McKay.  

That being said, it will still be an underwhelming hire.  But I can see why they’re looking at him.  This is going to be a big culture reset across the board, one that didn’t really happen under Rivera because Snyder was still here.  

Also, that we’re all still speculating, including the media, means that they’re doing the right thing and NOT zeroing in one someone.  

I don't see anyway Quinn ends up a success. I just don't and I think this would be a mistake. How many times do we have to see his defense collapse in critical situations before we realize the culture building means nothing? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I don't see anyway Quinn ends up a success. I just don't and I think this would be a mistake. How many times do we have to see his defense collapse in critical situations before we realize the culture building means nothing? 

There is a difference between being a head coach, and being a defensive coordinator calling plays.  There are similar aspects, but many are extremely different.  

Again, I’m with you, this is a disappointing hire considering where we started, but Harris/Peters hiring Quinn is a whole lot different than Snyder hiring Rivera.  

59 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

We've barely heard anything about MacDonald which leads me to believe this isn't happening. 

Maybe that's a good thing. We all heard how BJ was a sure thing to us, so maybe the opposite is a positive sign. We'll find out today. 

• Like 1