The Commanders Head Coaching Thread - Commanders hire Dan Quinn, Dallas Cowboys DC

Just now, RSkinGM said:

Offense to the D side ?

It’s confusing, because he’s their defensive passing game coordinator. I’m not sure why all these tweets and such aren’t specifying that.

With the players we have on the roster, I think a good secondary coach could make a major impact.

4 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I also don’t view it as being a negative necessarily.  When you are dealing with multiple teams having openings, there is always going to be a last team filling their spot.  

And you know what, I’ll be critical of the process here too.  I do agree that they hedged their bets on all of their finalists, and they just happened to be, aside from Quinn, on teams who were in deeper playoff runs.  That is the risk you run if you’re not targeting coaches in an earlier group.  But then again, how much of that can we blame on the focus on getting the head executive hired, as well as the change in NFL rules that prevented in-person interviews until after the divisional games.  

I’m not freaking out over it, in any event.  I haven’t felt this way about the team in a long time, and I think we’re in excellent hands.  

This is a very level headed point of view.  And a lot of this is fair.  But I still think there are problems here.  Clearly their top two candidates were two of Johnson, Macdonald and Slowik.  

The other guys didn't impress them enough to escalate after their interviews.  So they continued to wait.  I understand they can't control the decision destination, the problem is they don't have another tier 1 back up. 

Now they are stuck with the other guys who didn't impress enough to sign.  I know people are saying they were waiting, but year after year, HC candidates don't walk away from interviews unsigned because teams are so impressed.  We didn't feel that way about any of these guys left.  I just hope they don't panic now and are willing to widen the search.  There are no doubt good candidates out there.  Don't settle.

Just now, MikeT14 said:

Okay you can critique and twist my words and points however you want. Hate. Don't love. Aren't happy with. Etc.

This is my point: Probably half, if not more, of people are not happy with this hire. Some decent percentage outright hate it. A good number of people have voiced they don't love the Rivera comparison to this. Is that better? Feel free to switch those around how you'd like. My overall point stays the same. 

I apologize, antagonizing others is my coping mechanism. 

With that said, I don't expect you to be wrong, especially if a poll was conducted right now. I am underwhelmed for sure, but I'm not at the point some of you are. 

Hang in there man. This is going to be a wild ride.

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:

Hang in there man. 

I will turn around eventually. Like I said, I'll need a week to cope with the disappointment of the last couple days, complain about staff potentially, then I will bounce back and move into offseason mode. 

• Like 2

I actually think this is a great hire. Maybe a year too late even. Quinn has built great defenses everywhere he has been. I think he will maximize the talent we have left on defense and ensure that we add more. As for HC, players love him. He just needs to find the right guy for offense. Does Bienemy stay??

7 minutes ago, e16bball said:

It’s confusing, because he’s their defensive passing game coordinator. I’m not sure why all these tweets and such aren’t specifying that.

With the players we have on the roster, I think a good secondary coach could make a major impact.

well thanks for clearing that up !

1 minute ago, Umbaugh21 said:

I actually think this is a great hire. Maybe a year too late even. Quinn has built great defenses everywhere he has been. I think he will maximize the talent we have left on defense and ensure that we add more. As for HC, players love him. He just needs to find the right guy for offense. Does Bienemy stay??

didn't they love Rivera ?