Justin Field Trade Options

G08

13 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

But to me if that is true, that is malpractice on Poles part as he has not sought max value on either trading number 1 pick or trading Fields.  By letting teams seeking QBs solve their QB issue in other ways and reducing possible suitors for each or either.  

I believe had a team offered a 1, 2 or 3 for Fields he would not be on team right now.  Nobody offered that so here we are.  

Do I know for a fact any of above to be true? No.  But that is how I read the evidence and can make an educated guess.  

I think you could make an equally valid argument given the magnitude of the QB decision for both the Bears and Poles individually that the difference between a round 2 or 3 pick (presumptive had he been traded in the past few weeks) or whatever he can get for him closer to the draft was an acceptable price for him to go from whatever his pre-combine confidence in his decision was to 100% confidence in it. A R2/3 pick is valuable, but getting the QB decision right is way more valuable. He maybe could’ve had both, but that seemingly would have taken assumptions from him that he wasn’t ready to make. I would’ve liked more draft capital (who wouldn’t?) but I can’t really fault him if he has truly held onto Fields at this point in the name of due diligence. If he gets QB right with the rookie nobody reasonable will care too much what we do or don’t get for sending Fields elsewhere. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think you could make an equally valid argument given the magnitude of the QB decision for both the Bears and Poles individually that the difference between a round 2 or 3 pick (presumptive had he been traded in the past few weeks) or whatever he can get for him closer to the draft was an acceptable price for him to go from whatever his pre-combine confidence in his decision was to 100% confidence in it. A R2/3 pick is valuable, but getting the QB decision right is way more valuable. He maybe could’ve had both, but that seemingly would have taken assumptions from him that he wasn’t ready to make. I would’ve liked more draft capital (who wouldn’t?) but I can’t really fault him if he has truly held onto Fields at this point in the name of due diligence. If he gets QB right with the rookie nobody reasonable will care too much what we do or don’t get for sending Fields elsewhere. 

Valid.

But I disagree.  That 2nd rounder (if he could have had one from someone which I doubt) is very valuable.  That could be an all pro player.  Certainly a starter. 

You have had many months now to investigate Caleb.  The amount of new information you are going to glean between now and draft is negligible.  And certainly not worth a 2nd round pick IMO.  

I think if a 2nd was on table Fields would be gone. If it was and Poles didn't pull trigger I am mad as a fan.

Edited by dll2000
typo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Thegurubear said:

This is the logic I don't understand from some fans. “Oh fields would be great in atlanta with all those weapons. If he would be great with weapons why don't we just get weapons. Unpopular opinion I say we keep fields trade the number 1# and possibly pick #9 and then draft a 2/3 round quarterback to compete. 

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Valid.

But I disagree.  That 2nd rounder (if he could have had one from someone which I doubt) is very valuable.  That could be an all pro player.  Certainly a starter. 

You have had many months now to investigate Caleb.  The amount of new information you are going to glean between now and draft is negligible.  And certainly not worth a 2nd round pick IMO.  

I think if a 2nd was on table Fields would be gone. If it was and Poles didn't pull trigger I am mad as a fan.

I share your viewpoint. My point is that if that was Poles’ viewpoint then you could justify it. I also think if Poles had a 2024 2 on the table he probably would have taken it and then figured out which rookie QB he likes best, but if not, it could be that he values Fields more than the league values him as a guy for whom you’d have to trade. That caveat is key here and obviously a part of the equation - I suspect a FA Fields would’ve gotten a deal on Monday, but alas, he would cost money and draft capital. Apples and oranges. 

• Like 1

seeing a lot of Josh Sweat for Justin Fields (at a base level) talk out there. Depending on what else we need to throw in there (an we would have to bring more to the table to even it up) and what his future contract looks like, that would be an effective way of solving both teams issues there.

18 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I share your viewpoint. My point is that if that was Poles’ viewpoint then you could justify it. I also think if Poles had a 2024 2 on the table he probably would have taken it and then figured out which rookie QB he likes best, but if not, it could be that he values Fields more than the league values him as a guy for whom you’d have to trade. That caveat is key here and obviously a part of the equation - I suspect a FA Fields would’ve gotten a deal on Monday, but alas, he would cost money and draft capital. Apples and oranges. 

I agree.  There is no way you value Drew Lock etc. over and above Fields in a vacuum.  He is 2nd or 3rd QB out door as a UFA.  

I think teams don't want to trade what Poles wants for Fields on a one year deal.  And nobody wants to pick up his 5th year in May.

Like I said above a 2nd round pick has a lot of value.  Other teams think that too.

10 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

seeing a lot of Josh Sweat for Justin Fields (at a base level) talk out there. Depending on what else we need to throw in there (an we would have to bring more to the table to even it up) and what his future contract looks like, that would be an effective way of solving both teams issues there.

of course the only logical recourse if this happens is to find a way to draft T'Vondre Sweat out of UT as well

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

How does this solve an issue for the Eagles to bring in a quarterback who won't play for them? 

So the Bears going to draft Harvin Harrison Jr then?

I am surprised Justin Fields has not been traded yet, curious what he would go for but maybe they just stick with Fields, one more year, have not committed long term to the guy and if he does not work out go after a QB in 2025.

Maybe that is the play, then add Rome Odunze with that other 1st round pick or even better Troy Fautanu or Taliese Fuaga on the OL, either one could play a little guard then move out to LT possibly later on with Fields as the QB for 2024.  Or if not that get Verse or Latu as a edge rusher in that other 1st round pick.

Could have a lot of options that is for sure.  

56 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I am surprised Justin Fields has not been traded yet, curious what he would go for but maybe they just stick with Fields, one more year, have not committed long term to the guy and if he does not work out go after a QB in 2025.

Maybe that is the play, then add Rome Odunze with that other 1st round pick or even better Troy Fautanu or Taliese Fuaga on the OL, either one could play a little guard then move out to LT possibly later on with Fields as the QB for 2024.  Or if not that get Verse or Latu as a edge rusher in that other 1st round pick.

Poles is seemingly telling everyone why Fields is still on the roster (via Rapoport). He’s not done evaluating the rookie options at QB. People are widely choosing not to believe that, and whether that’s because they don’t believe Poles (or Rapoport) or want to further validate their position or narrative on Fields’ worth is irrelevant - he’s still here right now. That’s the only certainty about the situation as we sit today.

Much as most would like to think that means something about our eventual QB for 2024, it really doesn’t. “Trade him or trade the pick” never had any kind of hard deadline of the beginning of FA. The decision on Fields’ future and whether or not we trade the pick doesn’t need to be made until the draft. 

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I don't believe they will. My belief is Poles just overplayed his hand with Fields and lost the interest of the primary teams. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

How does this solve an issue for the Eagles to bring in a quarterback who won't play for them? 

the eagles are fine with their cap this year, but next year are going to have to make some changes. their a super bowl aspiration team who's current backup qb is tanner mckee and that's it - what happens if hurts goes down? they just signed bryce huff who would/could effectively replace sweat - whom they would have to pay a good amount of money to keep. do they get a comp pick for him in 2026? or would they be open to trading for JF - a player similar to their qb, who gives them insurance incase anything happens to hurts, and if we throw in a 2025 3rd then they get the equivalent to the best comp pick they could receive a full year earlier

8 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

the eagles are fine with their cap this year, but next year are going to have to make some changes. their a super bowl aspiration team who's current backup qb is tanner mckee and that's it - what happens if hurts goes down? they just signed bryce huff who would/could effectively replace sweat - whom they would have to pay a good amount of money to keep. do they get a comp pick for him in 2026? or would they be open to trading for JF - a player similar to their qb, who gives them insurance incase anything happens to hurts, and if we throw in a 2025 3rd then they get the equivalent to the best comp pick they could receive a full year earlier

Justin Fields is a free agent after 2024 unless a team is willing to tag him, which they won't. This trade makes no sense to me, but what do I know. 

Edited by Old Guy