What do the Vikings do at QB?

dll2000

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

When you say, "sign Minshew"...that's gonna cost a pretty penny.  He's established himself at this point as basically the new Fitzdragon.  The ultimate in "temp gunslinger".  That'll get him offers that cost $$$.  He's made it clear that starting is a big priority for him if at all possible.  So maybe that's a factor, but generally money talks.  He's a premiere backup at worst.

The more i think about it...the more Howell makes sense for Minnesota.  He's a younger, cheaper, more dynamic Minshew with bigger upside.  You have to trade for him (in conference) but i don't think Washington care much at all about conference competition at the moment.  Best thing is...Minshew = $$$.  Howell?  He's pennies on that rookie deal with term left.  He's got a very similar skillset and collection of tools.  Not sure his moustache is as good, but i'm sure there are treatments for that if it's crucial.

The more i think about it, the more that seems like the answer.  It's either that, or the other option of signing Kirk to a multi-year deal for security and trying the whole rebuild thing after that.

I agree. If you can flip a day 3 pick(s) for Howell, I think its a great bridge QB with some upside getting paid pennies.

• Like 2

On 2/7/2024 at 11:22 PM, vikingsrule said:

Cousins probably gives them a home team discount, his family it settled there and you kind of know he doesn’t want to go anywhere else. So they probably work out a below market deal and draft someone like McCarthy at 11. 

This is not happening. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

I agree. If you can flip a day 3 pick(s) for Howell, I think its a great bridge QB with some upside getting paid pennies.

sure, if he can be picked up THAT cheap.

EDIT: i see now he led the league last year in interceptions and sacks. hmm....

Edited by vike daddy

3 hours ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

If you can flip a day 3 pick(s) for Howell, I think its a great bridge QB with some upside getting paid pennies.

@SemperFeist: "Kwesi and O’Connell passed on Howell eight times in the 2022 draft. If they didn’t like him enough to draft him then, I certainly can’t see why they’d like him enough to trade for him now."

4 hours ago, vike daddy said:

how much would Minshew cost? 12-15 million?

there are some who are seeing Cousins' price tag at 35-40, or even above...

Maybe.  Really hard to even say.  Depends on how crazy things get.  But that's probably not a bad guess for Minshew's pricetag.  I'd imagine he'll be wanting a deal this time, with some actual term and heavy guarantees though.  Which i'm not sure is a great idea.

Especially when someone like Howell only costs like fifty bucks.

4 hours ago, vike daddy said:

we don't have much capital to trade with, particularly if we're trying to move up high for Daniels.

I doubt it'd take that much draft capital to pry Howell away.  Hard to imagine even a 4th round pick wouldn't easily do it.  Though if you're doing that, you wouldn't be moving up for Daniels at all anyway.  I think you'd be looking at Howell as a Stopgap+.  He can do what Minshew does, but he's a lot younger and with some actual potentially upside for the future.  To wait and reevaluate depending on how he does. 

Moving up for Daniels is certainly a thing that might be outside the realm of the capital the Vikings can afford to offer, period.

9 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Moving up for Daniels is certainly a thing that might be outside the realm of the capital the Vikings can afford to offer, period.

definitely. or it might be doable, but set us back with draft opportunities for three years. if a team risks that, they better hit it out of the park on their guy.

but then... look at SF swinging for the fences with Trey Lance. didn't work out, but a few years later they find themselves in the SB.

the NFL is a finicky place....

3 hours ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Yeah.  The idea of getting a "Minshew caliber" stopgap who is actually still quite young and with actual upside, at only ~$1M per year for the next two seasons would be super enticing to me in the Vikings situation.  That'd give them a ton of extra cap flexibility to work with in building out the rest of the roster around him.

3 hours ago, Jameson_Neat said:

This is not happening. 

Yeah.  I'm not going to pretend to know what's on Kirk's mind...but i just don't see a guy on his last legs, taking a big haircut on what is almost certainly his last real payday.  He's going to want term if he's signing there at anything resembling a discount, and that gets real awkward real fast.  And he's also not going to want to sign on only to have that premium 1st round pick asset used on something that doesn't help him in his last few years, whatsoever.  For the same reasons it pissed off AAron in Green Bay.

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

sure, if he can be picked up THAT cheap.

EDIT: i see now he led the league last year in interceptions and sacks. hmm....

He's got a little bit of a pocket presence problem.  But it's not really any worse than than Minshew imo, who...if you run him out for as many snaps in the same situation, is absolutely going to rival the amount of sacks Howell takes and the amount of picks he throws.

Minshew is capable of stretches where he protects the ball alright, but over a full season...he'll just feeding the other team.  And his pocket presence will walk him into a ton of sacks, even behind a somewhat decent OLine.  He's got, overly caffeinated rabbit sort of pocket presence.

• Like 1

The outcome is truly a game of roulette; it could go either way, and no Vikings fan should be surprised. General manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah and head coach Kevin O’Connell will eventually want “their guy” at quarterback, and Cousins turns 36 in August.

Left up to ESPN, though, Cousins could latch onto three teams if Minnesota cut ties — the Atlanta Falcons, Las Vegas Raiders, and Pittsburgh Steelers. ESPN’s Dan Graziano did not mention the New England Patriots, another team that probably needs a fresh alternative at quarterback. New England also owns the draft’s third overall pick, prime territory to nab LSU’s Jayden Daniels, for example.

Graziano explained the would-be Cousins new teams, “There are some in the league who believe Minnesota could try to make a big trade up for a top-three pick in the draft. That would likely mean someone like LSU’s Jayden Daniels starts for them in 2024 and Cousins goes elsewhere. Atlanta, Las Vegas, Pittsburgh and other QB-needy teams are keeping a close eye on this situation.”

Cousins was on pace for 5,000 passing yards, 38 touchdowns, and 11 interceptions last year before an Achilles tear ended his campaign at Lambeau Field in Week 8.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/analysis/espn-name-drops-3?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

According to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, Tom Pelissero and Mike Garafolo, Justin Jefferson might be waiting to sign his extension until the Vikings sort out their quarterback situation. NFL Network reported that Jefferson is a fan of quarterback Kirk Cousins and “will want to know the quarterback plan before signing on for the long haul.”

https://www.si.com/fannation/bringmethesports/vikings/report-jefferson-wants-to-know-vikings-qb-plan-before-signing-extension

If they can't re-sign Kirk Cousins they're hosed. 

Their defense needs both draft picks, #11 and #42, and there's no third rounder.  There's some cap space but it'll be chewed up in luring back talent.  Two areas of concern going in to 2023, defense and O-Line, strengthened noticeably.  With Detroit [and Chicago] improving so dramatically Minnie doesn't have any resources for QB changes.

They need to give Kirk a hard deadline (in late February) for him to accept whatever contract Minny has offered to him. Kirk and his agent can back channel with teams, on what they might potentially offer Kirk, and using that information decide if they want to accept the Vikings contract. 

If no:

Vikings should try to trade into #2 or #3 of the NFL draft, using additional draft picks. If teams don’t want that return, I would gage if JJ for #2 or #3 is a possibility. I don’t want to sign any stop gap between March and the draft. I will hold off until after the draft, and whomever is available at that time sign as backup QB (move on from Mullins too). If no trade up, take QB at #11, or trade up from #42 or at #42. 

Maybe they could fire up the Jet and do like they did for Favre.  This time, they would just call up Teddy Bridgewater and try to beg him to come out of retirement.  He would get playing time, and make a LOT more money than he would have being the coach of a high school team.  Probably a low chance that happens, but it might not be a horrible option if they could get it done.

On 2/8/2024 at 12:22 AM, vikingsrule said:

Cousins probably gives them a home team discount, his family it settled there and you kind of know he doesn’t want to go anywhere else. So they probably work out a below market deal and draft someone like McCarthy at 11. 

If we’re being honest, I think neither of those seem likely.  There’s absolutely ZERO reason for Cousins to take a below-market deal.  He (and his agent) know that Minnesota needs Kirk Cousins.  Kirk Cousins likely has multiple suitors.  Minnesota is unfortunately very limited in what they can.  Either they pay a hefty price to move up the board OR they pay Kirk Cousins his market value.