2024 49ers offseason

49erurtaza

49 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Can people stop saying it was such a huge surprise the cap went up 30M? It was projected to go up 20M from 2023 and that's what most folks were using as projections all year. The surprise was that it went up about 10M more than initially anticipated. 

Kawakami is predicting the Niners trade into the 20s for a plug and play RT. I don't know if I see that. I think it is more likely they trade up for an edge rusher. 

Just based on what is available, I think they may try and solve the Edge issue externally through free agency or trade  first. If that doesn't work, then I think edge may be the pick in the draft. I'd really watch for them to sign Joey when he's cut by the Chargers. The Bosa's aren't discount guys, but I think Joey's market is going to be strong. I think he is less in demand than Hunter, Huff, Burns / Allen (though I assume both are tagged) and I think overall the edge market is pretty nice for value. 

So we will see in a couple of weeks. Chargers should cut bosa before his 7M bonus is due on 3/15. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Just based on what is available, I think they may try and solve the Edge issue externally through free agency or trade  first. If that doesn't work, then I think edge may be the pick in the draft. I'd really watch for them to sign Joey when he's cut by the Chargers. The Bosa's aren't discount guys, but I think Joey's market is going to be strong. I think he is less in demand than Hunter, Huff, Burns / Allen (though I assume both are tagged) and I think overall the edge market is pretty nice for value. 

So we will see in a couple of weeks. Chargers should cut bosa before his 7M bonus is due on 3/15. 

Are the Chargers more likely to cut Bosa or trade him? Of course, that would be ideal but I think there is still a decent chance that Young returns on a one year deal.

I just don't see them trading up for a tackle. I can be wrong and I would not be opposed to it, but that does not seem like the team's MO. 

Well, the RT would be an offensive player and the times we trade up in the early rounds is usually for offensive players since that is when Kyle has more of a say lol....So maybe? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Are the Chargers more likely to cut Bosa or trade him? Of course, that would be ideal but I think there is still a decent chance that Young returns on a one year deal.

I just don't see them trading up for a tackle. I can be wrong and I would not be opposed to it, but that does not seem like the team's MO. 

Well, the RT would be an offensive player and the times we trade up in the early rounds is usually for offensive players since that is when Kyle has more of a say lol....So maybe? 

I don't think anyone is going to trade for him. I think they'll cut him rather than pay his bonus. 

LIS, the Bosa's are very much all business, so taking a discount to play in SF doesn't strike me as an overly Bosa thing to do, but definitely a very unique situation with his brother playing here. 

I agree with @Chrissooner49er that a guy like Fuaga would be the one I'd be looking at to trade up for, but I think he's gone in the first 13 picks. 

After that,  I don't know. Is Mims plug and play? Maybe? That's a big risk. Fautanu probably gets into that trade up range, but I'm still relatively sure that he's a guard at the next level. Guyton is probably not plug and play in my opinion. I mean, you'll play him, but there's a reasonable chance that he's not actually an immediate upgrade. Latham has some pretty wide variance in terms of how people feel about him from what I have seen, so maybe thats a possibility and maybe not lol. Guys like Suamataia and Morgan and even Guyton and whatnot...not guys that I would move up for. You can sort of pile them all together. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think anyone is going to trade for him. I think they'll cut him rather than pay his bonus. 

LIS, the Bosa's are very much all business, so taking a discount to play in SF doesn't strike me as an overly Bosa thing to do, but definitely a very unique situation with his brother playing here. 

I agree with @Chrissooner49er that a guy like Fuaga would be the one I'd be looking at to trade up for, but I think he's gone in the first 13 picks. 

After that,  I don't know. Is Mims plug and play? Maybe? That's a big risk. Fautanu probably gets into that trade up range, but I'm still relatively sure that he's a guard at the next level. Guyton is probably not plug and play in my opinion. I mean, you'll play him, but there's a reasonable chance that he's not actually an immediate upgrade. Latham has some pretty wide variance in terms of how people feel about him from what I have seen, so maybe thats a possibility and maybe not lol. Guys like Suamataia and Morgan and even Guyton and whatnot...not guys that I would move up for. You can sort of pile them all together. 

They will be interested in Chop Robinson I believe but I'm not sure they would trade up for him since he has some risk.

I just don't see the angle of trading up for a RT though. 

42 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Not saying it is not possible, but meh.......

They shouldn't be trading for Wilson. He's like a 5 or 6 million dollar cap hit, so thats just not a good idea. 

I expect them to be fully interested in Mac Jones. He's like 2.5, has some modicum of success in the past and we know Shanny loved him. 

That said, wouldn't be surprised if we actually got outbid for him. I could see teams like Minnesota and Denver actually look into him as a starting QB this year, especially if they are looking at drafting a guy like JJ who 100% should not be starting out of the gate. 

• Like 2

Just now, Forge said:

They shouldn't be trading for Wilson. He's like a 5 or 6 million dollar cap hit, so thats just not a good idea. 

I expect them to be fully interested in Mac Jones. He's like 2.5, has some modicum of success in the past and we know Shanny loved him. 

That said, wouldn't be surprised if we actually got outbid for him. I could see teams like Minnesota and Denver actually look into him as a starting QB this year, especially if they are looking at drafting a guy like JJ who 100% should not be starting out of the gate. 

Right, that's why for Wilson it makes no sense. A team like the Rams may take a chance on him since McVay likes strong armed, highly drafted QBs and they will have the cap space to eat his contract up. 

Jones is fine. All he's shown so far minus for a stretch in his rookie season is that he's a back up type of QB. 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

He's also very unlikeable it seems like 

Yeah, I mean he will probably be on his best behavior in his next stop but if he acts up here, it won't end well for him, especially with how much the team loves Purdy. 

Random, but how Gabbert is still a back up still baffles me. Now he must be a great guy in the locker room lol.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

They will be interested in Chop Robinson I believe but I'm not sure they would trade up for him since he has some risk.

I just don't see the angle of trading up for a RT though. 

Oh, I definitely see the angle.

Just don't see us pulling the trigger on this crop of OTs.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Wonder when we trade for Mac Jones or Zach Wilson? I'd assume it's before free agency 

When the 49ers trade for Ulbrich, Mr. Wilson will be attached as a salary dump lol.

Edited by 49erurtaza