2024 49ers offseason

49erurtaza

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, I misread that. It just probably lowered his cap hit for 2024 a bit and then he will be under contract in 2025. This does not take us out of drafting a tackle in this year's draft. 

I mean, I'm not going to be made if they don't take a tackle in the first. He was brutal in the Baltimore game, and obviously he struggled at times against the Chiefs, but the RG spot is far more problematic right now. When Feliciano came in, Mckivitz started playing much better minus that Ravens game. So if they want to go DE or something in the first, then take a RG in the second, and then take a developmental tackle in the third and just start McKivitz this year, I really don't have much of a problem with that tbh. 

But if they want to take a tackle, and I really like this tackle class so that is probably the direction I'm going to go , I'm not going to be upset about that either lol 

• Like 3

Just now, Forge said:

I mean, I'm not going to be made if they don't take a tackle in the first. He was brutal in the Baltimore game, and obviously he struggled at times against the Chiefs, but the RG spot is far more problematic right now. When Feliciano came in, Mckivitz started playing much better minus that Ravens game. So if they want to go DE or something in the first, then take a RG in the second, and then take a developmental tackle in the third and just start McKivitz this year, I really don't have much of a problem with that tbh. 

But if they want to take a tackle, and I really like this tackle class so that is probably the direction I'm going to go , I'm not going to be upset about that either lol 

I mean he's just not that good. It comes down to what kind of offense Kyle wants going forward with Purdy? McKivitz struggled against the Ravens because it was a must pass type of game and this OL always fails in those situations. These guys aren't built to do that. Is Kyle going to be fine having this strategy? If so, it would be very disappointing but kind of expected lol. 

• Like 2

I'm not critical of the extension for Colton. He's about as average as they come and he's relatively cheap. But I will be critical if the 49ers don't start looking for his eventual replacement. Not only that 49ers really need to start thinking about Trent replacement. He also can't stay healthy. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Forge said:

tenor.gif

Seriously though, as JIII said, this doesn't mean he's necessarily the locked in starter. Depth is important, so hopefully that's the plan

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean he's just not that good. It comes down to what kind of offense Kyle wants going forward with Purdy? McKivitz struggled against the Ravens because it was a must pass type of game and this OL always fails in those situations. These guys aren't built to do that. Is Kyle going to be fine having this strategy? If so, it would be very disappointing but kind of expected lol. 

I could sort of understand the bolded with a guy like Jimmy, who needed the run game to prop him up and protect him from himself. So why not beef up the run blocking and make due with what the O-Line gives you pass-pro.

But I am hoping Brock's emergence will move him to revamp the line so that we take full advantage of his play from the pocket.

Maybe McKivitz shifts over to RG & they take advantage of a deep pool @OT?

Or McKivitiz is just insurance, and they still go OT early?

Or just maybe they're giving him a little bit of runway for his game to take off after being a first-year starter, and go RG early in the draft?

Either one of those scenarios is a step in the right direction imo.

Edited by 757-NINER

4 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I could sort of understand the bolded with a guy like Jimmy, who needed the run game to prop him up and protect him from himself. So why not beef up the run blocking and make due with what the O-Line gives you pass-pro.

But I am hoping Brock's emergence will move him to revamp the line so that we take full advantage of his play from the pocket.

Maybe McKivitz shifts over to RG & they take advantage of a deep pool @OT?

Or McKivitiz is just insurance, and they still go OT early?

Or just maybe they're giving him a little bit of runway for his game to take off after being a first-year starter, and go RG early in the draft?

Either one of those scenarios is a step in the right direction imo.

Even if we draft a tackle, I think Kyle may prefer to keep McKivitz there for another year. I would not agree with that decision but I think that's what happens. 

It's just frustrating because we WILL be in those must pass situations more and more going forward, especially with the current core starting to age. And if we have a good enough OL, it's going to be okay since Purdy does not need the play action game like Jimmy to be successful. 

• Like 1

Hope this contract ext is just an insurance piece because as we know Kyle doesn’t like playing rookies right away regardless of how well they look in training camp/preseason. This draft is so deep at Oline, we need to get some pieces. Like everyone mentioned, Trent is getting old. 

Edited by StevenK

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Hope this contract ext is just an insurance piece because as we know Kyle doesn’t like playing rookies right away regardless of how well they look in training camp/preseason. This draft is so deep at Oline, we need to get some pieces. Like everyone mentioned, Trent is getting old. 

Your going to love Colton when he's starting at LT in 2025  🤣

Edited by 49erurtaza
  • Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

Oh damn, we only got a 4th for Jimmy G / Mike McGlinchey. 

That means that we will have only a single third round pick this year, not two. 

That blows 

Just caught that. Trash indeed.

• Like 1