2024 Offseason Tracker

General Tso

5 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Again,  he wasn't begging for respect, at least for himself.  He was pointing out that while the Lions were getting ready to play in the NFC championship game, the Detroit media disrespected our players.  Which they did.  Its an imposter syndrome for the Lions media discussing the talent gap like we aren't talented.  But we are.  So why is the Detroit media feeding those ideas that we lack talent when we had more All-Pros and Pro Bowlers than we have had combined the last 15 years.  

They are talented. But to try and compare it to last 15 years combined is also issue. Doesn't really say much for the last 15 years more than the current roster. But they are talented. 

I agree with you on numerous things but not this, at all. Goff called out Detroit sports media for being horrid. They are. Maybe some fans like that as they also take pleasure in the dogging of ineptitude. But you cannot say for 30 years that the Lions have to win to get respect, then they win and you get your feathers ruffled because they question where the respect is. You (Detroit media) want to express your opinion without impunity or rebuttal. That is not how the world works. You are entitled to your feelings and personal standards of respect, but others have the right to address the inconsistent and irregular application of those feelings and standards. Detroit has the WORST sports media. They all are doing a Stephen A. Smith or Skip Bayless impersonation and that is not their job. They are supposed to be journalists. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Again,  he wasn't begging for respect, at least for himself.  He was pointing out that while the Lions were getting ready to play in the NFC championship game, the Detroit media disrespected our players.  Which they did.  Its an imposter syndrome for the Lions media discussing the talent gap like we aren't talented.  But we are.  So why is the Detroit media feeding those ideas that we lack talent when we had more All-Pros and Pro Bowlers than we have had combined the last 15 years.  

Detroit fans and Detroit media have to learn how to win just like the organization does. Everytime that we have had a reason for optimism and hope, the shoe has dropped. We've had great players and HOF players but the rest of the team and/or organization was not built properly to give them the success they were fighting for. It didn't happen. 

When Quintricia was here, I wanted to give them the opportunity to have the time to do what they felt they needed to do in order to accomplish those goals. In hindsight, we probably should have pulled the plug on it after year 1. However, if we were that quick on the hook all of the time then Dan Campbell probably wouldn't be here after his start. 

This has been a complete rebuild from the top down - we've got Sheila, Rod Wood,Chris Spielman, Brad Holmes, Dan Campbell all operating with the same plan, rowing in the same direction. We've got top level back office folks like Mike Disner, John Dorsey, Ray Agnew and many others) in their supporting roles. There has been a complete shift in the culture of the organization and the team. It's not just fancy wordplay like 'Dagger Time'... there's a true spirit and essence about it. 'GRIT' is who this team is. Dan Campbell is far more than the dude that does up downs with his players and talks about biting knee caps. He's much smarter as a football coach than probably given credit for. 

I've had 18 years of a few highlights but mainly disappointment and heartbreak from this organization. Most of you have had much more than that. I do think that some of the players have to understand that history and why fans might be somewhat reluctant and jump on the negative line. However, we need to recognize, as fans and local media, this is different. Things are different. It might still not wind up with a championship but we are going to be in the mix year after year. 

Jared Goff wasn't wrong for what he said in the least. However, he should probably be looking at things and understanding a bit more why people are responding how they are and just letting it slide. If those digs keep that chip on his shoulder and he plays like he has been, then I hope this continues on and on because it has been working. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

I agree with you on numerous things but not this, at all. Goff called out Detroit sports media for being horrid. They are. Maybe some fans like that as they also take pleasure in the dogging of ineptitude. But you cannot say for 30 years that the Lions have to win to get respect, then they win and you get your feathers ruffled because they question where the respect is. You (Detroit media) want to express your opinion without impunity or rebuttal. That is not how the world works. You are entitled to your feelings and personal standards of respect, but others have the right to address the inconsistent and irregular application of those feelings and standards. Detroit has the WORST sports media. They all are doing a Stephen A. Smith or Skip Bayless impersonation and that is not their job. They are supposed to be journalists. 

There is difference between journalism and just media. 

journalism is about collecting info and distributing it

media is about entertaining. 

so this is where you are wrong. Media is not supposed to be journalists. Media is there to entertain. Some media entertains by negative.

Holding media to journalism standards is a fail. They are two wife ranging and different things. 

They may I intertwine and overlap but most of these media are there for entertainment value more than news 

Edited by detfan782004

55 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

so this is where you are wrong. Media is not supposed to be journalists. Media is there to entertain. Some media entertains by negative.

Holding media to journalism standards is a fail. They are two wife ranging and different things. 

They may I intertwine and overlap but most of these media are there for entertainment value more than news 

So Goff called them media, but I actually think he meant journalists. The person he talked about in the podcast is Bob Wojnowski who is a Lions beat writer.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, General Tso said:

So Goff called them media, but I actually think he meant journalists. The person he talked about in the podcast is Bob Wojnowski who is a Lions beat writer.

Woj has been known to write for entertainment vs totally factual. 

His Sunday night sports show thing I feel is purely entertainment and he says crap that a normal journalist doesn't.

However he does work for news so this guy really skirts those two lines.

I can't stand him as a writer 

16 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

Journalism is a key part of media. 

the best way to think of media is that it’s generally a delivery process. It delivers journalistic endeavours by print, radio, magazine, television, periodicals etc.

50 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Journalism is a key part of media. 

the best way to think of media is that it’s generally a delivery process. It delivers journalistic endeavours by print, radio, magazine, television, periodicals etc.

Not all media is reliant on factual journalism is the point. It's there to entertain irregardless of the merits of truth 

Posted (edited)

On a different note, Devonta Smith got a deal for 25M/year. 

Can't imagine what ASRB is going to make.

But who knows, it's not always the early bird who gets the worm.

Edited by General Tso

2 hours ago, BigC421/ said:

I think this is part when someone needs to step up and say who gives a sheet.  Move on.  Boring up the page arguing what constitutes as media 

#misinformation

#cantwealljustgetalong

On 4/15/2024 at 10:04 PM, diehardlionfan said:

No of course not. 

I think it's part of the issue with the lack of control of truth in journalism. 

Media and news is rarely accurate and this is no exception. 

But Goff needs thicker skin. I think that's the issue I have. If this bothers him I think it shows a sign of weakness.