2024 NFL Combine Thread

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BigC421/ said:

I really like Newton he is so disruptive.  Fiske is another guy to look at.  I don’t see the Lions prioritizing DT early in the draft however.  They seem pretty content rolling with McNiel and a rotation of big bodies.  

I think they’ll be targeting OL/ WR/ CB with the early picks.  Possibly edge rusher but I have a feeling they won’t love Chop and will view him as another Houston.  Remember even before the injury they were obsessed with Houston needing to be more well rounded rather than accepting what he brings to the team.  They want there Cam Jordan opposite Hutch, I don’t think they love having a natural weak side guy opposite Hutch.  If Verse starts to slide into the teens I’d love to see a trade up. 

I think the talent at WR in this draft is too good to ignore and they will be looking to add one within there first 3 picks.  The talent on the offensive line is pretty insane too.  Powers and Beebe especially have my attention 

I am wary of Chop Robinson.  He is fast for sure but he is going to need a lot more development to be effective.  Darius Robinson makes a ton of sense for the Lions and will probably be there at 29.  Marshawn Kneeland might be another player that could get their attention.  Pick 29 seems a little high for Marshawn Kneeland but he will probably go off the board in the mid-2nd round.  

It seems like it is a pretty deep class of WRs.  They have the luxury of taking a developmental WR with good tools who only needs to be a #3/4/5 receiver.  

It is tough to get a read on what the Lions will be able to do at CB.  Quinyon Mitchell and Terrion Arnold will be out of reach.  Nate Wiggins and and Ennis Rakestraw came in pretty light.  Koolaid MckInstry has the right height, weight and length but didn't answer any questions about his speed (which might be over-blown).  Cooper Dejean has good size and speed but might be a bit of a stiff athlete.  To me, the most complete CB that the Lions will have a realistic shot at drafting is Max Melton.  He was a really good player on a bad Rutgers team.  The group of big CBs (Cam Hart, Khryee Jackson, Ryan Watts) tested really well.  Normally, you would peg them for a move to safety but they might be able to stick at CB and play well.  Willie Drew isn't getting a lot of attention but has all the physical tools to do well in the NFL and tons of ball-skills on his college film.  WIllie Drew just screams "Brad Holmes small school villain pick".

If the Lion want to plan for life after Taylor Decker, this is the year to do that.  There will be a ton of very good OTs available in the first three rounds.  The Lions are in a weird position with G and C.  They need a starting LG and they need someone who can be developed as a replacement for Frank Ragnow if injuries continue to be a problem.  Even if they re-sigh Graham Glasgow, they need someone behind him also.  Christian Haynes and Dominick Puni have shown the versatility to play back-up C and both guard positions.  One developmental player I put in latest mock was Jacob Monk.  Jacob Monk started 55 out 56 games he played at Duke, played RT, RG and C and has been team captain two years in a row. Every team wants a player like that and especially true with the kind of team culture the Lions have built.

Edited by Just Want A Title

53 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

I really like Newton he is so disruptive.  Fiske is another guy to look at.  I don’t see the Lions prioritizing DT early in the draft however.  They seem pretty content rolling with McNiel and a rotation of big bodies.  

I think they’ll be targeting OL/ WR/ CB with the early picks.  Possibly edge rusher but I have a feeling they won’t love Chop and will view him as another Houston.  Remember even before the injury they were obsessed with Houston needing to be more well rounded rather than accepting what he brings to the team.  They want there Cam Jordan opposite Hutch, I don’t think they love having a natural weak side guy opposite Hutch.  If Verse starts to slide into the teens I’d love to see a trade up. 

I think the talent at WR in this draft is too good to ignore and they will be looking to add one within there first 3 picks.  The talent on the offensive line is pretty insane too.  Powers and Beebe especially have my attention 

I love Newton, Murphy and Sweat.  People knock Sweat for his size but he has the snap counts to do what we do here. And the size to be the NT we typically try to put next to McNeil. 

I agree on edge. I feel like we will be going for bigger guys to upgrade Cominsky like Darius Robinson, Brandon Dorlus, Marshawn Kneeland etc.  I don’t think Verse is elite enough to be worth moving up for but I do like the player. I just don’t think he is better enough to give up additional assets vs those guys I mentioned that we could draft later. 

I’m not sure we spend a top 3 pick on WR but I think we draft one earlier than last year.  There is a lot of talent all the way down. Rice and McCaffrey are the guys I like for the Reynolds role. Roman Anthony would be solid as well but think he will go higher than I’d want to spend. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I love Newton, Murphy and Sweat.  People knock Sweat for his size but he has the snap counts to do what we do here. And the size to be the NT we typically try to put next to McNeil. 

I agree on edge. I feel like we will be going for bigger guys to upgrade Cominsky like Darius Robinson, Brandon Dorlus, Marshawn Kneeland etc.  I don’t think Verse is elite enough to be worth moving up for but I do like the player. I just don’t think he is better enough to give up additional assets vs those guys I mentioned that we could draft later. 

I’m not sure we spend a top 3 pick on WR but I think we draft one earlier than last year.  There is a lot of talent all the way down. Rice and McCaffrey are the guys I like for the Reynolds role. Roman Anthony would be solid as well but think he will go higher than I’d want to spend. 

I’m admittedly higher on Verse than most.  Personally don’t see much difference between him on tape and Will Anderson.  Very similar profiles and skill sets. I think it’s kind of a go big or go home situation at edge this year.  With Hutch, Paschal, Cominsky and Houston you need to either bring in a true dog that’s going to be a running mate with Hutch be it signing a guy like Hunter or drafting someone with that kind of upside or it really isnt a priority. It’s not a position we need depth we need another beast.  

I don’t think they’ll necessarily prioritize wr I just think there’s a high probability they’ll be on the clock at some point within the first 3 picks and be like Coleman/ Franklin or Wilson/ Mcconky/ Leggette or Rice/Pearsal/ Corley are just significantly higher than anyone on our board.  

Strange feeling I have with this draft , and this is more about the talent in the draft and not just a trust in BH things is I see so few situations that are going to piss me off.  There’s corners/ DT’s/ wr’s/ OL all that I’d be happy with that could/ should be available with our 1st and then depth in rds 2/3 after that.  

If we came away Newton/ Beebe/ Melton/ Rice I’d go to bed Friday night feeling great.  If it went Coleman(or Franklin for that matter) / Frazier/ Ward / Jonah Ellis I’d be real happy with that too. This draft has me so intrigued 

29 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Corum

with slow 40. Dang

Wright making hiM some money 

He ran a 4.53 that’s not terrible and even his second time at 4.57 is faster than what DeVonta Freeman ran ( a good comp nfl net used). He looked by far the best on the bag drill making cuts.   He will end up on a team from the Shannahan/ McVay tree and be a gem imo.  

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Jer'Zhan Newton and Byron Murphy II are easier for me to buy into as prospects.  Murphy's low center of gravity makes his mass more effective and it is easier for him to play lower than a lot of guards.  Murphy is a little short-armed but has big hands.  Most of the same can be said for Jer'Zhan Newton except his hand size isn't quite big Murphy.

Braden Fisk is active and disruptive but his arm-length will limit his effectiveness.  Whoever drafts him will have to have a plan to minimize the impact of his arm-length.

I wish I know what to think about T'Vondre Sweat.  He is huge and hard to move from his gap.  He has solid length and good hand-size.  He does create more pocket pressure than you would expect.  However, how much of that is due to his shear mass and how much of that is driven by talent in other parts of his game?  In a league that is driven by the passing game how much impact will he have?  The closest comparison I can think of is Ravens NT Michael Pierce.  Maybe that is the ceiling for him assuming his conditioning holds up.

17 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

My man Isaac Guerendo from my last mock blitzed a 4.33 despite the fact that he checks in at 6'0 and 221 Lbs.  We could use some of that.  

Last thing they need is another RB imo 

3 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Last thing they need is another RB imo 

I like David Montgomery but he is always going to miss games because of his running style.  Having Isaac Guerendo as RB3 would be a good insurance policy because he has good size and can bring more speed to the offense.  

34 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Something tells me Det takes long look at C Johnson- UM in the draft. Comments on having more time with Mich kids and his athletic scores 

I actually had him in my latest mock as well.  I had him as a replacement for Josh Reynolds.

• Like 1

This isn't related to combine testing but I saw some news on Zak Zinter's injury.  Apparently, he is progressing pretty well.  I don't know what "football ready" means but apparently he should be "football ready" in mid-april.  I suspect most teams will be cautious with him though.

“Zak Zinter won’t work out at the combine. He’ll bench and plans to do some movement stuff at pro day,” Anthony Broome of The Wolverine posted on X, formerly known as Twitter. “Says he’ll be football-ready in a month and a half.”

Zak Zinter announces injury update following broken leg (msn.com)

38 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Something tells me Det takes long look at C Johnson- UM in the draft. Comments on having more time with Mich kids and his athletic scores 

I could see Roman Wilson or Mikey in the 2nd if still on the board.  Could see Zinter or Keegan. I could see a late pick on Barner , Harrel or McGreggor or even Cam Goode in the 7th is exactly the type of Benito type of 2 gaper that can push the pocket when motivated a few times a game.  I would t love it but I could even see them taking Jenkins and thinking he can play sde down at 285/290 In the system.  All super high character guys that put in the work and have essentially already trained at an nfl level thanks to Herbert.  CJ is probably the one UM guy I’d say there’s next to zero chance we draft.  

I really liked Troy Franklin’s tape.  Great speed, route running, body control, and just amazing footwork especially when beating press.  Pretty much saw non of that at the combine today.  I had read some hands issues but hadn’t noticed it on tape.  His body control in the drills looked clumsy.  

Leggete looks like an absolute monster out there but showed some hands issues.  Still his upside as an AJ Brown or  Boldin type is off the charts.  

Mitchel obviously stole the show.  Think he would have solidified top 10 status if not for the character concerns.  Interesting to see how big a roll they play .

15 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

I could see Roman Wilson or Mikey in the 2nd if still on the board.  Could see Zinter or Keegan. I could see a late pick on Barner , Harrel or McGreggor or even Cam Goode in the 7th is exactly the type of Benito type of 2 gaper that can push the pocket when motivated a few times a game.  I would t love it but I could even see them taking Jenkins and thinking he can play sde down at 285/290 In the system.  All super high character guys that put in the work and have essentially already trained at an nfl level thanks to Herbert.  CJ is probably the one UM guy I’d say there’s next to zero chance we draft.  

I really liked Troy Franklin’s tape.  Great speed, route running, body control, and just amazing footwork especially when beating press.  Pretty much saw non of that at the combine today.  I had read some hands issues but hadn’t noticed it on tape.  His body control in the drills looked clumsy.  

Leggete looks like an absolute monster out there but showed some hands issues.  Still his upside as an AJ Brown or  Boldin type is off the charts.  

Mitchel obviously stole the show.  Think he would have solidified top 10 status if not for the character concerns.  Interesting to see how big a roll they play .

Not sure why you say zero chance. Huge need. Good size. 

Think he's more of a fit compared to Barner or McGregor

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Not sure why you say zero chance. Huge need. Good size. 

Think he's more of a fit compared to Barner or McGregor

I agree.  He is a slightly bigger version of Josh Reynolds.  He could come in and fill the WR4/5 role with no pressure to do much more than that.

Posted (edited)

The WRs are blowing up the 40.  Unlike a lot of WRs who run an crazy-fast 40, Xavier Worthy has production to back it up.  I am not sure he really plays that fast though.  He is also really under-sized.  Brian Thomas Jr plays closer to his times speed than Xavier Worthy.

Edited by Just Want A Title