2024 NFL Combine Thread

5 hours ago, Miblue said:

Ja’lynn Polk would be a great finishing touch for this offense

On a semi-related note, it was pretty cool to see Dan Campbell talk about their expectations for Jameson Williams to step into the #2WR role.  The Lions passing game would look very different with him as a #2WR.

5 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

On a semi-related note, it was pretty cool to see Dan Campbell talk about their expectations for Jameson Williams to step into the #2WR role.  The Lions passing game would look very different with him as a #2WR.

Unfortunately he's not ready and not a #2 yet. Maybe one more year he would be 

Just now, detfan782004 said:

Unfortunately he's not ready and not a #2 yet. Maybe one more year he would be 

Personally, I don't really agree with that.  He did everything he needed to go to earn a bigger role in the offense.  About the only thing he still needs to work on is the back-shoulder throws.  I would expect him to switch roles with Josh Reynolds if he returns.  I think the biggest problem with Jameson Williams by the end of the season was that Ben Johnson didn't really seem to have a good handle on the best way to use him.  Jared Goff shares some responsibility with that.  Jamo reaches spots in his routes much faster than ARSB, Josh Reynolds or Sam LaPorta.  Jared Goff seemed to have a hard time adjusting the timing of his throws to Jamo's speed.    

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

Personally, I don't really agree with that.  He did everything he needed to go to earn a bigger role in the offense.  About the only thing he still needs to work on is the back-shoulder throws.  I would expect him to switch roles with Josh Reynolds if he returns.  I think the biggest problem with Jameson Williams by the end of the season was that Ben Johnson didn't really seem to have a good handle on the best way to use him.  Jared Goff shares some responsibility with that.  Jamo reaches spots in his routes much faster than ARSB, Josh Reynolds or Sam LaPorta.  Jared Goff seemed to have a hard time adjusting the timing of his throws to Jamo's speed.    

Yes I agree a larger role. He will make a solid 3 or 4 this year in increased role 

Posted (edited)

OG Gottlieb Ayedze probably got himself noticed today.  He has got good triangle numbers and moves pretty well for his size.  He seemed to have really good footwork.  Nathan Thomas is listed as a tackle but he seems like he total beast at guard.

Edited by Just Want A Title

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Think he's a little small for what I'd want. I want a big WR. 6'3" plus. They have enough small WR 

Large WRs are tough to find but Johnny Wilson is an option that is tough to ignore.  He is 6'6", 231 Lbs, with 35-inch arm length and 10-inch hands.  He logged a 1.55/4.52 40, a 37-inch vertical and a 10'8" broadjump.  He ins't going to be great at change of directions but he is going to tough to cover in the RZ and contested catches in-general.  He seems to need a fair amount of development though.  He may not be WR1 but he should be able to carve out a role for himself on most NFL rosters.

4 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Large WRs are tough to find but Johnny Wilson is an option that is tough to ignore.  He is 6'6", 231 Lbs, with 35-inch arm length and 10-inch hands.  He logged a 1.55/4.52 40, a 37-inch vertical and a 10'8" broadjump.  He ins't going to be great at change of directions but he is going to tough to cover in the RZ and contested catches in-general.  He seems to need a fair amount of development though.  He may not be WR1 but he should be able to carve out a role for himself on most NFL rosters.

That's a good example. Some size for red zone is a must imo. 

Posted (edited)

I was looking for combine results on Kiran Amegadjie.  His measurements were insane but chose not to work out at the combine.  He mentioned an injury in his combine announcement and it must be the one that ended his college season.  Apparently, he tore his quad.  He has huge upside and was previously projected in the 2nd round.  Could this push him to 62 or into the 3rd round?  I think his pro day in in the first week of April.  He will have a lot riding on that.

6 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

I think Goff’s lack of anticipation when targeting JaMo was as much if not more of the problem than his arm strength,  He needs to see the coverage and position of the defenders and know that JaMo is heading towards open space and no one can run with. He needs to see that before JaMo is open and let it rip.  Too often he waits til JaMo has passed the defenders and by then his arm strength and pocket protection can become an issue

• Like 4

I'm not sure what to think of Darius Robinson. The more work that I'm doing on him, the less I see him going in round 1. 

He has elite-level size and length - long arms (34 1/2) and big hands (10 5/8) to go alongside being 6'5 and 285 lbs. 

His athleticism is what scares me (or lack of).

His 4.95 40 isn't great. His 10-yard split of 1.73 is the more concerning part as it shows his lack of short-area quickness. He criticized the combine for their bench press set up and his 21 reps. I want to see his 3Cone and Short Shuttle numbers as this will show his ability to bend. His 35 inch vertical is impressive at his size but his broad jump is also really bad. 

His draft comparisons are being touted as Cameron Jordan (he also measures up to Cameron Heyward). Both guys were taken in the bottom of round 1 (24 and 31 respectively).

Athletically and production-wise, he also aligns with ex-Georgia Tech Edge and current New England Patriot Keion White. White had a slightly higher pressure percentage (14.9% to 14.07%) while Robinson had 8 sacks (3%) vs White's 7 (2.5%). Robinson seems to be more of a power guy and lacking the explosiveness of the edge that we are looking for. 

Surprisingly, Robinson's testing is less athletic than the guy he'd be slated to replace - John Cominsky. Cominsky has probably lost a step with age so they could be offering a lot of the same tools. 

White was taken at pick #46. 

Character wise, the kid is great and I'd love for him to be a Lion. Pick #29 just feels rich for what he brings to the table. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

I'm not sure what to think of Darius Robinson. The more work that I'm doing on him, the less I see him going in round 1. 

He has elite-level size and length - long arms (34 1/2) and big hands (10 5/8) to go alongside being 6'5 and 285 lbs. 

His athleticism is what scares me (or lack of).

His 4.95 40 isn't great. His 10-yard split of 1.73 is the more concerning part as it shows his lack of short-area quickness. He criticized the combine for their bench press set up and his 21 reps. I want to see his 3Cone and Short Shuttle numbers as this will show his ability to bend. His 35 inch vertical is impressive at his size but his broad jump is also really bad. 

His draft comparisons are being touted as Cameron Jordan (he also measures up to Cameron Heyward). Both guys were taken in the bottom of round 1 (24 and 31 respectively).

Athletically and production-wise, he also aligns with ex-Georgia Tech Edge and current New England Patriot Keion White. White had a slightly higher pressure percentage (14.9% to 14.07%) while Robinson had 8 sacks (3%) vs White's 7 (2.5%). Robinson seems to be more of a power guy and lacking the explosiveness of the edge that we are looking for. 

Surprisingly, Robinson's testing is less athletic than the guy he'd be slated to replace - John Cominsky. Cominsky has probably lost a step with age so they could be offering a lot of the same tools. 

White was taken at pick #46. 

Character wise, the kid is great and I'd love for him to be a Lion. Pick #29 just feels rich for what he brings to the table. 

The thing about Darius Robinson is that he only played 1-year AT DE.  He probably still has a lot to learn about playing DE and should improve as understands the nuances of the position better.  I have seen him is a number of rankings/mocks in the early 2nd round so what your saying might make sense. 

It really depends on what they want from their starting DEs.  He plays the run well and his power will help him set/maintain the edge and control the LOS.  He seems like the type of player that could really wear down opposing OTs as the game moves into the 4th quarter.  In fact, with him on one side and Aidan Hutchison on the other, that might be what the Lions want to do.

On a semi-related note, the Lions showed a lot of interest in Marshawn Kneeland also.  Much like Darius Robinson, he had a strong Senior Bowl week and a pretty good combine.  Clearly, he is a different type of player than Darius Robinson but has a lot of upside.  He seems like a more athletic version of George Karlaftis.  I don't know if he is the pick at #29 but I doubt he will be available at 62.

10 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

The thing about Darius Robinson is that he only played 1-year AT DE.  He probably still has a lot to learn about playing DE and should improve as understands the nuances of the position better.  I have seen him is a number of rankings/mocks in the early 2nd round so what your saying might make sense. 

It really depends on what they want from their starting DEs.  He plays the run well and his power will help him set/maintain the edge and control the LOS.  He seems like the type of player that could really wear down opposing OTs as the game moves into the 4th quarter.  In fact, with him on one side and Aidan Hutchison on the other, that might be what the Lions want to do.

On a semi-related note, the Lions showed a lot of interest in Marshawn Kneeland also.  Much like Darius Robinson, he had a strong Senior Bowl week and a pretty good combine.  Clearly, he is a different type of player than Darius Robinson but has a lot of upside.  He seems like a more athletic version of George Karlaftis.  I don't know if he is the pick at #29 but I doubt he will be available at 62.

Kneeland fits more like Paschal in terms of build. However, he's far more athletic than what Robinson offers (at least based on his combine testing). I wasn't too fond of the Karlaftis pick at the time but he's turned out to be a pretty good player for the Chiefs. I probably got thrown off by the name "George" for whatever reason. 

The consensus mock board has Darius Robinson at pick #35 and his peak is currently at 35. My guess is that he drops a bit after that combine performance into the 40's. It's not to say that he's a bad player but he just lacks that extra juice to be a menace opposite of Hutch. The argument is that he could add weight and kick inside but he'd still be on the lighter side for what the Lions want (outside of the Levi pick). He does offer plus athleticism as a DT. He's just much more of a tweener with question marks than I would want to take at #29 right now.  

• Like 1