2024 NFL Combine Thread

23 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

That could knock him down quite a bit. He's not going to do any combine drills either. I think the normal procedure is a screw in his foot. He might actually be available at 29 if we're interested.

His skill set is perfect for us.  He is one of two CBs I would take in the first round.  Grades highly in man, zone and one of the best run defenders.  

Marshawn Kneeland having a great combine too.  He is one we have scheduled to bring in and could be a target earlier than expected.  Didn't have the fastest 40 (not slow by any means) but his 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle are impressive for his size and might be as important or more in playing Edge given he will have to move along the line in run D and change direction quick when getting after the QB.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

He was already dropping a little bit.  There were some articles that mentioned questions about his long-speed.  Hopefully, he will be able to run before the draft to answer those questions.  That may be one of those things where people have been looking at him so long that they are magnifying his weaknesses/flaws.  I would have no issues if the Lions took him at 29, assuming the rest of his medicals check out.

I'd be pretty happy if we got him at 29.  Very happy.  He seems like a Brad Holmes type guy.  please well but probably doesn't test that well.  I.e. Amon Ra, Kupp, Jones.  I have a feeling he is higher on their board than a lot of people think

Posted (edited)

Quinyon Mitchell blitzed an unofficial 4.33 in the 40, 38", vertical jump and a 10-foot broad jump.  Holy cow! 

Cam Hart is putting together a really solid combine also--A 4.5 40 is a good enough time for a 6'3" DB.  He also blasted a 39.5" vertical and a 10'10" broadjump.

Ryan Watts is another big CB who is killing it so far--Checking in at 6'3" with 34-inch arm length, he ran a 1.55/4.53 40, 40.5" vertical and 10.5" broadjump.  I don't know if he can play corner but he has the foundation of an imposing safety.

In breaking news, Nate Wiggins proved he is fast with 4.29 40 but slow 10-yard split at 1.59.  Talk about a 2nd gear.  Update--His official 40-time is 4.28.  Please fall to the Lions.  Lol

Edited by Just Want A Title
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Quinyon Mitchell blitzed an unofficial 4.33 in the 40, 38", vertical jump and a 10-foot broad jump.  Holy cow! 

Cam Hart is putting together a really solid combine also--A 4.5 40 is a good enough time for a 6'3" DB.  He also blasted a 39.5" vertical and a 10'10" broadjump.

Ryan Watts is another big CB who is killing it so far--Checking in at 6'3" with 34-inch arm length, he ran a 1.55/4.53 40, 40.5" vertical and 10.5" broadjump.  I don't know if he can play corner but he has the foundation of an imposing safety.

In breaking news, Nate Wiggins proved his fast with 4.29 40 but slow 10-yard split at 1.59.  Talk about a 2nd gear.

I think I called it in October but Mitchell will be Devon Witherspoon.  He will be gone by pick 10 IMO.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think I called it in October but Mitchell will be Devon Witherspoon.  He will be gone by pick 10 IMO.  

Good call.  Max Melton is having himself quite a workout so far.  This should reverse his stock slide and push into the 2nd round.

This is the first draft that I can remember where there was actually a group of CBs in the 6'2"-6'4" range.  The crazy thing is that they all ran pretty well.  The 3-cone and shuttle drills will sort out the the bigger CBs who will stick at the position though.

Posted (edited)

Miami Safety James Williams moved to LB during the Senior Bowl.  He tested with the safeties today.  Based on his work, he would definitely be better off playing LB.  You don't see too many players that are 6'4", 230 lbs and clock a 4.65 40 who play safety in the NFL.  His numbers are pretty good for a LB.

Jaylon Carlies isn another player that seems more like a LB.  He checks in at 6'3", 227 with 34-inch arms and 10-inch hands, he has ideal size to play LB.  He also clocked a 1.54/4.5 on his 40.  

Posted (edited)

Maybe I am seeing thing wrong but it seems like it is going to be tough to find anything more than a rotational DT in this draft.  Sweat is too big to be a three-down DT.  Newton might be a solid starter but would probably have better success as a 3-4 DE.  McKinley Jackson seems like mostly a run-stuffing DT.  There some prospects that have decent potential:  Dewayne Carter, Gabe Hall and Ruke Orhorhoro seem like they have some tools to work with.

I wasn't really paying attention to the TE but Tip Reiman seems like a really good fit for the Lions.  At 6'5, 271 Lbs he is basically both a #2/3TE and #3OT.  With arms just a shade under 33-inches and 10.5-inch hands to go with solid movement skills, he is a mismatch for just about anyone who has to cover him.  I could see him causing real damage in cold weather games.  Nobody would want to tackle someone that big running with the ball, let alone in December in Lambeau Field or Chicago.  

2 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

Maybe I am seeing thing wrong but it seems like it is going to be tough to find anything more than a rotational DT in this draft.  Sweat is too big to be a three-down DT.  Newton might be a solid starter but would probably have better success as a 3-4 DE.  McKinley Jackson seems like mostly a run-stuffing DT.  There some prospects that have decent potential:  Dewayne Carter, Gabe Hall and Ruke Orhorhoro seem like they have some tools to work with.

I really like Newton he is so disruptive.  Fiske is another guy to look at.  I don’t see the Lions prioritizing DT early in the draft however.  They seem pretty content rolling with McNiel and a rotation of big bodies.  

I think they’ll be targeting OL/ WR/ CB with the early picks.  Possibly edge rusher but I have a feeling they won’t love Chop and will view him as another Houston.  Remember even before the injury they were obsessed with Houston needing to be more well rounded rather than accepting what he brings to the team.  They want there Cam Jordan opposite Hutch, I don’t think they love having a natural weak side guy opposite Hutch.  If Verse starts to slide into the teens I’d love to see a trade up. 

I think the talent at WR in this draft is too good to ignore and they will be looking to add one within there first 3 picks.  The talent on the offensive line is pretty insane too.  Powers and Beebe especially have my attention