Amon-Ra St. Brown contract extension

Louis Friend

3 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

In most years players who are picked at 29 don't have legit first-round grades.  Darius Robinson would make an impact because of his power, length and high-revving motor.  One thing to consider when projecting Darius Robinson is that he only played DE for a year so he will get better as he gains experience.  Denico Autry's production under Terrell Williams is a good projection for him.  Jackson Powers-Johnson may have so-so lengthy but he is just a naturally good football player.  Like Darius Robinson, he is somewhat in inexperienced playing mostly RG as a sophomore and C as a Junior but still managed to win the Rimington Trophy.

I could see Darius Robinson emerging as a rookie starter but he wouldn't be forced into a starting role unless there was an injury.  Jackson Powers Johnson would have a tougher path to a starting job but he still has a ton of long-term potential.  When he does break into the starting lineup, he will probably stay there for quite a while.

Again, I like both players, I just don’t have first round grades on them. But I would be thrilled with both on our team.

I still have some film to watch in the next couple weeks, mostly of WRs and CBs, but there are, right now, roughly 35ish players I like as fits for the Lions in the first two nights of the draft. God knows Brad Holmes likes to move picks, but I feel like if we end up with 2 or 3 of those 35 guys, I’ll be happy.

We ended up with 2 (Branch/Campbell) of my top 30 players last year (I had 16 first rd grades- Branch was in my top 16) and neither were at the spot I projected them. I had Gibbs and LaPorta as second rd picks. I am glad they are Lions however. I also thought we’d end up with Hendon but I didn’t want him in the first two rounds. I was okay in rd 3 as our 5th pick. 

10 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Again, I like both players, I just don’t have first round grades on them. But I would be thrilled with both on our team.

I still have some film to watch in the next couple weeks, mostly of WRs and CBs, but there are, right now, roughly 35ish players I like as fits for the Lions in the first two nights of the draft. God knows Brad Holmes likes to move picks, but I feel like if we end up with 2 or 3 of those 35 guys, I’ll be happy.

We ended up with 2 (Branch/Campbell) of my top 30 players last year (I had 16 first rd grades- Branch was in my top 16) and neither were at the spot I projected them. I had Gibbs and LaPorta as second rd picks. I am glad they are Lions however. I also thought we’d end up with Hendon but I didn’t want him in the first two rounds. I was okay in rd 3 as our 5th pick. 

Picking later in each round will make it harder to find impact players.  However, I think the Lions will be able to get an year 1-impact player at 29.  Given the depth of the draft at OT,OG, C and CB we should be able to find long-term answers at those positions also.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

Picking later in each round will make it harder to find impact players.  However, I think the Lions will be able to get an year 1-impact player at 29.  Given the depth of the draft at OT,OG, C and CB we should be able to find long-term answers at those positions also.  

I wouldn’t rule out WR either at that spot depending on who is available. I honestly think it could be WR, OL, DL or CB at 29 *IF* they even stay at 29. Lord knows Brad loves to move around for the guys/value he wants. 

20 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

It's funny how perspective works. Think of it as having the first pick in round 2, First and ninth picks in round 3, and the first pick in round 4. Definitely should be able to get some impact players.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, idoubtit said:

It's funny how perspective works. Think of it as having the first pick in round 2, First and ninth picks in round 3, and the first pick in round 4. Definitely should be able to get some impact players.

2 impact players there and let Brad work his magic day 3. 

Edited by Louis Friend

On 4/6/2024 at 10:42 AM, Just Want A Title said:

I think having a better roster will make it harder to find impact players in the late first.  Last year Laporta and Branch both were drafted in the 2nd so should be able to find someone at 29.  But the fact that we don't have a glaring need other than maybe CB, I think it will be hard for any first round pick to make a huge impact right away.  Edge could but with Houston back and signing Davenport, it won't likely be at the beginning of the season.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, General Tso said:

ASRB is not at voluntary workouts right now. That makes it sound like they are far apart on an extension.

It isn't ideal but I suspect the Lions want to get through the draft before the start addressing extensions for ARSB, Jared Goff and Taylor Decker.  The Lions could create a significant amount of 2024 cap space by extending Jared Goff and Taylor Decker first and apply that to the well-earned raise ARSB is going to get.

1 hour ago, General Tso said:

ASRB is not at voluntary workouts right now. That makes it sound like they are far apart on an extension.

They've been far apart for while. As these new deals start to shape up it should clear it up some.