Amon-Ra St. Brown contract extension

Louis Friend

3 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Or you could enjoy the fact that Brad Holmes and company are keeping a top-5 WR on a contract that will make sense.  After all of the bad moves that we have seen over the years maybe we should consider living in the moment a little bit on this.

[Insert Leo Dicaprio clap meme here]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

Or you could enjoy the fact that Brad Holmes and company are keeping a top-5 WR on a contract that will make sense.  After all of the bad moves that we have seen over the years maybe we should consider living in the moment a little bit on this.

So there are ground rules on what we can talk about that I missed?

I am happy about it but I can also look at the long term of a 3 year deal and what it could also mean.

forgot to check in with the monitors on what I am allowed to say to see if it met their approval 

8 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

I am happy about it but I can also look at the long term of a 3 year deal and what it could also mean.

forgot to check in with the monitors on what I am allowed to say to see if it met their approval 

If we went by what you posted nothing meets with your approval.  At the beginning of the year the best thing you could say about Dan Campbell is that he is a good coach.  You barely give credit to Brad Holmes and the draft work he has done.  You were leading the re-draft crowd trying to convince people we would be better off with Bryan Bresee and Devon Achane.  Now you are talking about re-loading when we are just entering our window for Super Bowl contention.  For the first time in a long time, the Lions are in a good place.  Take a deep breath and enjoy it

8 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

Did you see the memo about the cover page on the TPS reports?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, General Tso said:

I don't think you guys understand how much damage the Lions have done to people's fandoms. They have been inept for so long, it has warped our perceptions and expectations of sustained success.

I am pretty sure I understand.  I am a life-long Lions fans.  I graduated high school in 1989 so I have seen pretty much every #$%&-show there is to see with the Lions.  The organization has never been in a better position.  I am going to enjoy every minute of the ride.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I am pretty sure I understand.  I am a life-long Lions fans.  I graduated high school in 1989 so I have seen pretty much every #$%&-show there is to see with the Lions.  The organization has never been in a better position.  I am going to enjoy every minute of the ride.

Yes and for every one of you, there's another who's more pessimistic and skeptical. 

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

If we went by what you posted nothing meets with your approval.  At the beginning of the year the best thing you could say about Dan Campbell is that he is a good coach.  You barely give credit to Brad Holmes and the draft work he has done.  You were leading the re-draft crowd trying to convince people we would be better off with Bryan Bresee and Devon Achane.  Now you are talking about re-loading when we are just entering our window for Super Bowl contention.  For the first time in a long time, the Lions are in a good place.  Take a deep breath and enjoy it

I never mentioned Bryan Bresee whatsoever lol.

Honestly don't know him at all. 

I give Holmes credit but give Spielman more because he was why Holmes hired. 

Never said Dan is not a good coach. Said he is a bad game manager and that still rings true.

Nothing beyond me liking Achane is true in this post but that is standard with you. You make things up that aren't said.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, General Tso said:

I don't think you guys understand how much damage the Lions have done to people's fandoms. They have been inept for so long, it has warped our perceptions and expectations of sustained success.

It's not just that. But good organizations make tough choices. Teams aren't great because of a #1 WR. They are great because of QB play. 

ASB is good and nice to have but he's also a nice trade piece at end of his deal. 

Just now, detfan782004 said:

It's not just that. But good organizations make tough choices. Teams aren't great because of a #1 WR. They are great because of QB play. 

ASB is good and nice to have but he's also a nice trade piece at end of his deal. 

When he's 30... he's still got several years to contribute as a Lion. 

• Like 1

Guys I'm paying whatever it takes are St. Brown, Hutch, and Sewell. That's the core I'm sticking with. Others might get high salaries but there is a limit.

Edit: Laporta might make this group if he continues his trajectory.

Edited by idoubtit
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

In 2027 (3 years from now)

• Ragnow is a UFA (31)
  • LaPorta is a UFA (26)
  • Branch is a UFA (26)
  • Campbell is a UFA (27)
  • Gibbs is a UFA (25)
  • Hooker is a UFA (29)

Aidan Hutchinson will be in year 2 of his new deal (26)

Jameson Williams should be back and on year 2 of his own deal (25)

Most of the roster is going to be early-to-mid 20's. Goff would be 33 years old. 

If things aren't hitting, you change up the QB. You could arguably use Jamo as a trade piece. 

Gibbs and Campbell will only be free agents if we don’t pick up their 5th year options. Hutch and Jamo will be free agents that year as well if we do pick up their 5th year options.

We will definitely have to plan our cap situation and we will have to make tough decisions on some guys. Sewell and Hutch seem like cornerstones that have to stay Lions if they continue to play at their levels. ARSB and Laporta feel very close to that same cornerstone player but it will be hard to keep all of them with Goff or any QB not on a rookie deal.  Good teams have to let good players go. The Rams had to break up with Ramsey, the Bengals are likely to lose Higgins, the Chiefs are likely to lose Chris Jones and so many other examples.  We will continue to draft guys and plug holes and we very likely will lose some of these stars when contracts are due. It’s a side effect of having good players and being a good team. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Gibbs and Campbell will only be free agents if we don’t pick up their 5th year options. Hutch and Jamo will be free agents that year as well if we do pick up their 5th year options.

We will definitely have to plan our cap situation and we will have to make tough decisions on some guys. Sewell and Hutch seem like cornerstones that have to stay Lions if they continue to play at their levels. ARSB and Laporta feel very close to that same cornerstone player but it will be hard to keep all of them with Goff or any QB not on a rookie deal.  Good teams have to let good players go. The Rams had to break up with Ramsey, the Bengals are likely to lose Higgins, the Chiefs are likely to lose Chris Jones and so many other examples.  We will continue to draft guys and plug holes and we very likely will lose some of these stars when contracts are due. It’s a side effect of having good players and being a good team. 

I think the most important thing to avoid is having multiple key players needing extensions in the same year.  Right now, they have a manageable situation for the next couple of years.

• Like 1