A CHICAGO BEARS DRAFT FROM A LIONS FAN

Karnage84

17 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

There's discussions on how the Broncos are on the hook for him for $37M and that he could be had for a fairly cheap deal. Some are quoting $1M which sounds ridiculous but maybe you're looking at $10M. 

Sorry Bro. You are going to have a hard time selling this forum on Wilson. If we move on from Fields it's because we want a great QB and not a middling one. The corpse of Russ doesn't move the needle at all.

Edited by Bigbear72

2 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

Sorry Bro. You are going to have a hard time selling this forum on Wilson. If we move on from Fields it's because we want a great QB and not a middling one. The corpse of Russ doesn't move the needle at all.

It's not really "selling you on Wilson" as it is a) Not buying in on Caleb being the "can't miss franchise QB, Mahomes 2.0" that some are presenting him to be. b) The draft capital that can be acquired from trading down from #1 overall with a guy that some people are projecting to be the best guy to come out in a while. 

We've seen someone like Trevor Lawrence given this type of accolade and he's maybe a top 16 - top 20 guy. So if you aren't 100% that you're getting Mahomes Jr and could get TL 2.0, then getting multiple 1sts and more is a smarter move. A veteran like Wilson isn't your QBOTF but someone you can rely on to win a couple games as a floor. 

Ryan Poles didn't hire Matt Eberflus, so he could make decisions and not get hammered in the same way. Eberflus needs to win in order to keep his job. I'm not sure that he'd risk it by relying solely on a rookie QB unless he had guarantees from ownership that he's going to be allowed to reset. 

The big question for Fields is whether he's done enough to warrant being signed to a big money, long-term contract. If they're not sold on him and want to reset at the position, then you open things up to different configurations. A QB like Wilson (or maybe Carr if he's released by the Saints) plus a rookie that can be developed like the Packers did with Love . 

8 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Ryan Poles didn't hire Matt Eberflus

Except, he did. Additionally, you could do the same trade down and just keep Fields. No qb that you have mentioned would make me want to move on from Fields. Williams, Maye, or Daniels would make me consider it (the latter with trade capital of course).

1 minute ago, Bigbear72 said:

Except, he did. Additionally, you could do the same trade down and just keep Fields. No qb that you have mentioned would make me want to move on from Fields. Williams, Maye, or Daniels would make me consider it (the latter with trade capital of course).

I'm not a Bears fan and I must have read or heard something different suggesting that they were hired separately. Obviously, this isn't the case. 

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I'm not a Bears fan and I must have read or heard something different suggesting that they were hired separately. Obviously, this isn't the case. 

No worries. Poles was hired first and he chose between previously interviewed candidates. Not the cleanest process but "his" decision still. The bigger point, at least to me, is that for the cost and talent I wouldn't move on from Fields for Russ's weird *** and JJ. I would go the route of surrounding Fields with talent and see where it goes. If it didn't work then I have future draft capital to work with to draft another qb. As it stands now I'm not opposed to drafting Williams or possibly Maye over keeping Fields.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

What you're probably thinking about was a piece that said McCaskey had a short list of HCs and the GM had to pick from that list if they wanted the job. Honestly IDK if there is any truth to it or not, but apparently it wouldn't be the first time. There was similar rumors that Pace was forced to take Fox and that Emery had to keep Lovie too, so who knows. The McCaskeys are inept in regards to anything football related. 

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/was-ryan-poles-and-matt-eberflus-a-forced-marriage-in-a-way-yes/

I'm sure that went around on Twitter, especially when it looked like CHI was going to get 1.1 and 1.2 in the draft. lol 

Edit - Nevermind, @Bigbear72 beat me to it. lol

On 2/19/2024 at 5:22 AM, dll2000 said:

We have number 1 pick in draft with a good prospect on the board and you want us to sign 35 yr old Russell Wilson who has played like mostly hot garbage for last two seasons? 

Pass.

Wilson was actually playing pretty well this past season. Nothing like his first year in Denver.

6 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

There's discussions on how the Broncos are on the hook for him for $37M and that he could be had for a fairly cheap deal. Some are quoting $1M which sounds ridiculous but maybe you're looking at $10M. 

Ok, but even then, the Bears fell back asswards into the 1st pick in the draft due to CAR’s complete incompetence in a class where most think there are at least 2 and maybe 3 legitimate franchise QBs at the top of the draft, plus have their own top 10 pick, and you think the path they should choose is to trade down like crazy and pair a rapidly declining Russell Wilson with a QB that is not one of those franchise QB prospects?

I appreciate the uniqueness, but with due respect, this sounds like the draft a Lions fan would want the Bears to have from where the Bears sit as of today. 

• Like 1

Just now, dll2000 said:

So he is staying in Denver? 

To be honest I'm not sure what Denver is doing. I thought the whole benching of him at the end of the year was very strange especially considering they still had a shot at the playoffs. Reminded me of when the Raiders benched Carr to make sure the team didn't owe any extra $ due to injuries. Usually a sign that they aren't keeping the QB the next year.

7 minutes ago, RaisinBran said:

To be honest I'm not sure what Denver is doing. I thought the whole benching of him at the end of the year was very strange especially considering they still had a shot at the playoffs. Reminded me of when the Raiders benched Carr to make sure the team didn't owe any extra $ due to injuries. Usually a sign that they aren't keeping the QB the next year.

My point was Denver is eating a lot of money to bounce him.  So why would I want him?

What is he going to for my team?  

Especially when I have a top rated QB sitting there waiting to start a rookie deal?   Which has been a cheat code for quick success in NFL since ironically - Russell Wilson.

Assuming you get a good rookie QB.   But you have to try when you are near top and there is one people like.  

10 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Ok, but even then, the Bears fell back asswards into the 1st pick in the draft due to CAR’s complete incompetence in a class where most think there are at least 2 and maybe 3 legitimate franchise QBs at the top of the draft, plus have their own top 10 pick, and you think the path they should choose is to trade down like crazy and pair a rapidly declining Russell Wilson with a QB that is not one of those franchise QB prospects?

I appreciate the uniqueness, but with due respect, this sounds like the draft a Lions fan would want the Bears to have from where the Bears sit as of today. 

I was actually trying to look at things subjectively and if I was a fan of the Bears. A variation of what I put together actually feels pretty scary for me as a Lions fan next year. If you guys do draft Caleb then I'm hopeful that he's the bust some are predicting him to be. 

All three of the top guys have some question marks on them. The prevailing thought is that there's a huge dropoff from the top 4 guys (Williams, Maye, Daniels, McCarthy) for the next tier (Nix, Penix). 

My thought process was - if I'm Matt Eberflus and I'm trying to keep my job, do I want to draft a rookie guy, have him struggle, and then get fired 8 weeks in? Or bring in a veteran, build up the roster, add someone that can be our QBOTF and legitimately compete for the division? Caleb could come in and ball out but he's not a sure thing either. 

6 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

My point was Denver is eating a lot of money to bounce him.  So why would I want him?

What is he going to for my team?  

Especially when I have a top rated QB sitting there waiting to start a rookie deal?   Which has been a cheat code for quick success in NFL since ironically - Russell Wilson.

Assuming you get a good rookie QB.   But you have to try when you are near top and there is one people like.  

Russell Wilson was already on the roster when Sean Payton took over. Obviously, the two have had a falling out and SP wants to get 'his guy'. The Broncos brought Wilson in expecting him to be a different player than he turned out to be. He did play better down the stretch. There's a lot of other stuff that floats around RW and "team 3", which is probably partially impacting his speedy departure from Denver. 

You guys have been down this road multiple times lately, picking two guys to be your QB of the future with almost top 10 picks. 

1) Mitchell Trubisky (#2 overall)

2) Justin Fields (#11 overall)

Past success does not determine future success; past failure does not determine future failure. However, picking Caleb Williams #1 overall does not guarantee he's going to be a superstar. He is considered to be a very good prospect but there are question marks out there about how ready he is on day 1 and if he'll ever achieve the level of expectations that are placed on him. The Browns made multiple trades for a few years adding high end draft capital as part of their rebuilding effort. They were able to turn around from being a team that went 0-16 to a legit contender in the AFC (even without Bill Cosby at QB).