F.A. Move prior to the NFL Draft

Big T

25 minutes ago, xrade said:

And how many SB’s have they won?  A team’s goal is not to win the offseason, as the Jets frequently do, but to win a championship.  Building through FA does not work. Never has.

Never has and never will, it is just to plug one or two holes in your lineup. And by the way we did win a SB, but we did it thru the draft. But that is my problem with the Jets, it seems to me like the Jets with Rodgers are trying to plug  so many holes thru FA. with veteran players

I have been complaining about this team for 44 years, but I have very little to complain about right now. I think the Jets are ticking the boxes, one at a time. I think this off-season has been very surgical, so far. 

I absolutely HATE the fact that Zach Wilson is still a Jet, and nobody wants a guy that this regime thought was a franchise QB just three years ago. BUT, they are trying to make up for that colossal failure one acquisition at a time. 

As for pick No. 10, well we have options for sure. I hate the idea of drafting Bowers. I don't care how versatile he is, or how much of a nightmare he is, etc. Rodgers had pedestrian tight ends for the most part in Green Bay and he made them all look better than they were. He should make Conklin better than he is, and he might turn Ruckert into something too. Forget Bowers. I am not sure I even want Nathaniel Hackett to be more creative. You have the QB. You have the O-line. You have the stud RB and the playmaking wide receiver. 

A WR2 is what we probably need most. I love Xavier Worthy. Perfect decoy for a first-year player. Does not have to catch a lot of balls to make an impact. Might beat out our other Xavier for special teams duties. And, he can probably be had by trading down in the first round (either with the later first or the early second). He would be my target.

Then, we need another veteran WR to compete with Lazard (who is almost certainly going to be on the roster) and depth via the draft at certain positions (QB, OT, OG, S, LB). Beckham Jr. works for me. We also need a depth running back. I would bring in Ezequiel Elliott. Jadeveon Clowney as a depth pass rusher would be a nice move, too. And I would bring Ashtyn Davis back as safety depth. 

I would also gladly give up a day 2 pick for a day 3 pick to any team willing to take our failed QB off our hands.

I think JD corrected his biggest misses on the roster so far. He missed on Wilson, but came away with Rodgers. Went from Duane Brown to one of the greatest LT's of all time when he's healthy. If this season doesn't work, It is JD's fault for hiring Saleh, but I'd be willing to give him another coach. 

Because of the draft class, Free agents, and potential trade targets, I'm not too worried about what direction we go at WR.  The fact we were in the Keenan Allen hunt shows how serious we are about upgrading the potential. My interest on offense is getting young guys behind the vets to develop. Rookies and those who may just need a new scheme. 

Defensively, I just want a young safety behind Clark, a LB, and a young CB behind Reed. Reed's contract is ending. Extending him may not be easy because the contracts we have to prepare for in the near future. 

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

Never has and never will, it is just to plug one or two holes in your lineup. And by the way we did win a SB, but we did it thru the draft. But that is my problem with the Jets, it seems to me like the Jets with Rodgers are trying to plug  so many holes thru FA. with veteran players

Agreed. We all praised the hire of JD because he was all about building through the draft. That is why he did not go overly crazy with multiple high $ signings.  Lawson and Tomlinson not withstanding. The problem is that the draft picks have not all worked out. Becton , Wilson, Moore, were drafted within 3 years of each other and we still do not have  a LT, QB or true WR2. Because of the win now mindset with AR, we need to spend in FA to fill in those holes.  JD did a good job this FA doing just that. What is even more impressive is that most are all short term contracts.  This makes drafting next years starter this year, like OT, early otherwise we will be talking about this again next year. Let’s also not forget Sauce and Wilson extensions will be coming up. Let’s see if the ship is now on course and JD can build a team through the draft and have the future starters on the roster before they are needed like McD.

But the point still stands, building through FA does not work. Tanny was good for trading draft picks for players. And yes, we came close, but was never a sustainable model. As much as I want to win a SB, I really want a team that will compete every year. 

3 hours ago, xrade said:

And how many SB’s have they won?  A team’s goal is not to win the offseason, as the Jets frequently do, but to win a championship.  Building through FA does not work. Never has.

The Rams disagree. 

18 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Justin Fields to Pitt for a 2025 6th that can turn into a 4th….

I wish we jumped on that, but this definitely means Wilson is getting cut. Lol 

Give me Milton and have him sit behind Rodgers. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I wish we jumped on that, but this definitely means Wilson is getting cut. Lol 

Give me Milton and have him sit behind Rodgers. 

I think he'll be a throw in for a trade down scenario, but in the later rounds.

10 hours ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

Our luck we swap the Mr. Irrelevant pick and it turns out to be the next Brock Purdy. 

Let me tell you about MR irrelevant, In the entire 60-year history of NY Jets drafting round 6 &7 the only players that did anything were Quincy Enunwa, who's career was cut short my injuries, and Randy Rasmussen who was an outstanding guard for years for us. The only other player was a backup QB I think is name was Foley, and he was terrible.

And by the way i also was a big fan of Johnny Hector.

7 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

Combo of both remember big Whit signing. He was old and looking to win too. 

True, but the Rams operated more like Tanny. Go all in with trades at the expense of draft picks. Supplement with FA. And it worked. It almost worked for us too. But as nice as getting that SB or getting the AFC championship game two years in a row are, I prefer a more sustainable approach.  The  other words, I’d rather the Jets operated more like the Steelers or Baltimore rather than the Rams.  

12 hours ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

Our luck we swap the Mr. Irrelevant pick and it turns out to be the next Brock Purdy. 

Not that this O coaching staff would ever recognize a Purdy. They sucks balls.