F.A. Move prior to the NFL Draft

Big T

4 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Javon Kinlaw's contact is not that bad, salary cap wise.

In terms of the big picture, no, it is not a great drain. However, for a part time player that has never come close to living up to his draft status, es no bueno.

It reeks more of a Saleh wanting his entire SF DL than JD doing what he feels is best.

1 minute ago, xrade said:

In terms of the big picture, no, it is not a great drain. However, for a part time player that has never come close to living up to his draft status, es no bueno.

It reeks more of a Saleh wanting his entire SF DL than JD doing what he feels is best.

They failed to get Erik Armstead, his favorite player I think.  Somethings wrong. lol.

It is Jeff Ulbrich's defense and he loves to rotate DL.  That may explain why Jets don't look for another full time starter next to Big Williams.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 7:34 PM, jetfuel34 said:

:( Oh man this would be the worse thing to happen is grab a guy who postion is like a 90 plus chance to bust and you use pick 10 over all. SMH That would be a typical dumb jet move. I do think JD is way to smart here and grabs one of the big 3 T and goes with that. I hope Bo Nix is there in round 3. He might just fall. There always is a QB that falls. 

I certainly don't love Bowers or any TE high because the pay off has, for all intents, never hit. Maybe Dallas Clark or Jeremy shockey could be considered close. Some, like Pitts have had a season of production, but nothing sustained.

I'd prefer tackle or trade down but it's a possibility that they are convinced that Rodgers can develop him. And if he does hit, man, what a game breaker he could be.

Vernon Davis, Dallas Clark, TJ Hockenson, Greg Olson, Shockey are all good first round TE’s, I’ll stand by Pitts being a good pick as well but he’s been in a piss poor situation with nothing at QB he will excel this year as long as Cousins is healthy and the OC doesn’t try to make him a pure in-line guy. Gronk would have been a 1st rounder if he didn’t break his neck in College. Is Bowers my favorite for pick 10, no but he would help this team for sure.

11 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

I don’t hate the idea of Bowers, just don’t see Hackett utilizing him properly 

This is my only real fear with him and probably the only reason I kind of don’t want him but at the same time when has Hackett or Rodgers really had a TE of his caliber? Couldn’t name one for Hackett outside of Mercedes Lewis and Rodgers with Jermichael Finley(wish he never got hurt)

14 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

This is my only real fear with him and probably the only reason I kind of don’t want him but at the same time when has Hackett or Rodgers really had a TE of his caliber? Couldn’t name one for Hackett outside of Mercedes Lewis and Rodgers with Jermichael Finley(wish he never got hurt)

For 2024, it is quite a problem but beyond 2024 with a potential new OC and/or qb may develop an interesting theory.

First a Disclaimer.  I do not want the Jets to draft Bowers in round 1.  We have Conklin who has proven his worth and should only get better now that we have a real QB.  Therefore, Bowers would be a backup so they can release Conklin and save a whopping $2M next year.

That said, Bowers is NOT a TE.  He is a slot, Y, H-back, occasional Z.  He will rarely play in-line to just block, at least early in his career.  As I said, Conklin already does that.  But he is a weapon that will help any FB team.  Imagine a 5'9" slot CB trying to match up with him over the middle.  Or a LB on an out route.  So, yes, I am warming to the idea (mainly to minimize my rage if they do draft him).  But he would still only be a backup.  Since we have Conklin for a measly $2M next year and Ruckert, it is redundancy.

Now, next year we will be looking for two new OT's and at least one WR if we do not resign Williams.

Also, Rodgers may help Lazard redeem himself at slot spot.    There is no room for Bowers the rookie to be on the field except FB. lol.   

During the season progression, we should expect Bowers to take over Lazard if Rodgers and Jets prefers big slot instead of small one like Gipson.  Bowers presents speed and hands which easily edge Lazard out.

On 3/22/2024 at 8:14 AM, xrade said:

Solomon Thomas wasn't good, then became good. 

16 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Wow... Only way to get all of 15m is to stay healthy for Mike Williams.

He also only counts 6 mill against the cap. Not bad either. I don't know why people hate JD so much. I think he is the best GM the jets have had maybe ever had. Saleh is the one holding this team back. JD worse pick was Saleh as HC. 

2 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

He also only counts 6 mill against the cap. Not bad either. I don't know why people hate JD so much. I think he is the best GM the jets have had maybe ever had. Saleh is the one holding this team back. JD worse pick was Saleh as HC. 

Because he’s the losingest GM to ever exist outside of Matt Millen

2 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

Because he’s the losingest GM to ever exist outside of Matt Millen

I think he has had some bad luck. He makes a lot of moves that make sense and also had the best draft we ever had. But then injuries always end up happening and we get screwed at QB. His biggest mistake was Zach Wilson. The roster level now vs when Mike Maccagnan was GM is very different, that team wasn't even a NFL caliber roster. They should have went 0-16. 

Unfortunately, at the end of the day he has to win. 

I hope he finishes it off by landing Clowney, that would be a big add to the defense. A DE trio of Clowney, Johnson, and McDonald will be really good. 

We need to bring Ashytn Davis back too, he is a good player for our defense. Chuck Clark is gonna be a good safety for us as well and Tony Adams showed some good things.

Draft we could trade down. Personally, I probably would add another WR. We could land a stud. There are some really good ones and we could make it very difficult for teams to double up Garrett Wilson. It's possible we could end up seeing one of Nabers, Harrison, or Thomas falling to us.  Mike Williams was a big time add when he is healthy, but I definitely want another WR because then you make it difficult to cover this defense and Breece Hall will be opened up.