2024 Franchise Tag values revealed

RaidersAreOne

how are these determined??? I thought it was supposed to be the average of the top 5 highest paid guys that season. Which from my understanding should be somewhere in the ball park of $56M based on 2024, slightly less from the "Total Cash" or closer to 33M if you're going off of base salary alone.

Either way, I feel like some of these numbers feel too low. Hate the Franchise tag as a concept.

Carolina with a tough choice. Tag their star pass rusher for 21.3 million, or tag Frankie Luvu for 24. They should not lump MLB/ILB's and pass rushing OLB's together.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Carolina with a tough choice. Tag their star pass rusher for 21.3 million, or tag Frankie Luvu for 24. They should not lump MLB/ILB's and pass rushing OLB's together.

Agreed. Having LB in general as the 2nd highest position is insane.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Danger said:

how are these determined??? I thought it was supposed to be the average of the top 5 highest paid guys that season. Which from my understanding should be somewhere in the ball park of $56M based on 2024, slightly less from the "Total Cash" or closer to 33M if you're going off of base salary alone.

Either way, I feel like some of these numbers feel too low. Hate the Franchise tag as a concept.

Franchise and transition tenders are calculated by adding the respective tag numbers, divided by the sum of the salary caps, from the previous five seasons, and finally multipled by the current season's salary cap. Franchise tag figures are based upon the top five salaries at each respective position, while transition tag figures are based on the top ten.

https://overthecap.com/franchise-transition-and-rfa-tenders

38 minutes ago, Danger said:

Meh it's useful as leverage to get a deal done and worst case you can always push for a trade as a player.

57 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I don't see how Carolina can just let Burns walk. He would be the choice if they can't get a extension done prior. 

2 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

I don't see how Carolina can just let Burns walk. He would be the choice if they can't get a extension done prior. 

Yea, I was being sarcastic. If you are Carolina, you tag Burns, period. I was mostly pointing out how it's straight stupid that it would cost more franchise Luvu over Burns.

The franchise tag for an MLB or ILB should be somewhere between RB and Safety.
Funny they differentiate Safety and CB, but not MLB's and pure pass rusher OLB's (who should be lumped in with DE's).

• Like 1

Well the flipside to lumping ALL LB's into the same absurd bracket instead of separating the OLB Pass Rushers into a category with the DE is you won't have to worry about the Luvu, Queens, Smiths, Warners and Greenlaws of the NFL ever getting that ridiculous LB Tag.

Sucks for those not really pass rushers but ILB, maybe hitting FA and having that option might be beneficial to that specific group as well never getting tagged?

Edited by Nabbs4u

8 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Well the flipside to lumping ALL LB's into the same absurd bracket instead of separating the OLB Pass Rushers into a category with the DE is you won't have to worry about the Luvu, Queens, Smiths, Warners and Greenlaws of the NFL ever getting that ridiculous LB Tag.

Sucks for those not really pass rushers but ILB, maybe hitting FA and having that option might be beneficial to that specific group as well never getting tagged?

It's great for the Eagles. Ain't nobody tagging a MLB, unless his name is Roquan, and we need two of them.
Jordyn Brooks and Frankie Luvu, come on down! 

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1

Interesting that LB is higher than DE now.  How much of that is a reflection of the balance shifting toward more 3-4 teams around the league?

In any case, it's a pretty small difference of a few million so i doubt it really matters to anyone with a guy worth tagging at either position.  Just a kind of curious little nugget for a team like the Jaguars who will probably be tagging Josh Allen as a LBer, when you could maybe argue DE instead and save a few bucks.  Though hopefully they can actually still just get a real long-term deal done with him instead, and avoid the whole thing entirely.

If that gap continues to widen at all though, i could see it being the next sort of "flashpoint" like the whole TE/WR deal.  Though it's got a long ways to go before it'd look anything like that gap in compensation.

3 hours ago, Tugboat said:

In any case, it's a pretty small difference of a few million so i doubt it really matters to anyone with a guy worth tagging at either position.  Just a kind of curious little nugget for a team like the Jaguars who will probably be tagging Josh Allen as a LBer, when you could maybe argue DE instead and save a few bucks.  Though hopefully they can actually still just get a real long-term deal done with him instead, and avoid the whole thing entirely.

Josh is listed as a "Edge". I'm not familiar with the Jags defense but if it was majority a 4-3 for most of his tenure, not sure the Jags can get away with listing him as a LB costing him millions?

Pretty sure the NFLPA would step in on his behalf,  rightfully so..!

5 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Josh is listed as a "Edge". I'm not familiar with the Jags defense but if it was majority a 4-3 for most of his tenure, not sure the Jags can get away with listing him as a LB costing him millions?

Pretty sure the NFLPA would step in on his behalf,  rightfully so..!

He's listed as OLB and that's really what he's played most of his career as.  But my comment is more down to the difference between a 3-4 OLB/Rush LBer and a 4-3DE being virtually indistinguishable in a lot of cases.  They're the same player, even as the scheme changes around them and messes with their alignment a little tiny bit.

I don't think they'd actually bother quibbling over it, but it brings up the idea that if the Tag #s for the two continue to diverge...you might end up with another weird point of contention between Players/Agents/Teams.

It's where...something like actually having an "EDGE" tag would probably make sense at some point.  To better differentiate between 3-4 DEs and 4-3 DEs.  As well as to more appropriately differentiate between a Pass Rushing Outside LBer who is worth an absolute ton like Allen, and your run of the mill off ball LBer who does a completely different job with a completely different sort of pay scale that would make sense for them.