The Book on John DeFilippo

WindyCity

HC: John DeFilippo

A young offensive mind with a lot of recent success in developing young QBs into star players, add in a year of play calling experience where he was not being over seen by an offensive coach and you have an interesting candidate. DeFilippo is probably a year or 2 away from being the "hot head coaching" candidate as he is not calling plays, although he should be for the Jets, and the Bears jump early.

012115-nfl-John-DeFilippo-pi-mp.vadapt.6

OC: Greg Olson

Olson has a ton of play calling experience, which is a need with a younger offensive HC. Olson worked with DeFilippo in Oakland when Carr was drafted so they have a relationship and have had success with developing a young QB together. Olson has also spent the past 5 years working with young QBs, Carr, Bortles, Goff, and has been in developmental mode for half a decade.

img24406218.jpg

QB: Todd Downing

DeFilippo's replacement in Oakland working with Carr he has not been a good OC and it looks like he is going to be fired, but the Raiders thought so much of his work with Carr that they let Musgrave walk and tanked their offense. Carr to me is a ideal physical comparison for Trubisky and I would like him to be on a similar developmental path.

053017-Downing-cp.jpg

DC: Mike Pettine

Pettine was the HC in Cleveland when DeFilippo was the OC and to me Pettine is one of the most intriguing DC candidates on the market. Pettine runs an aggressive 3-4 and could step in and really groove with the personnel that the Bears have.

2014_Hard_Knocks_HBO_NFL_Browns_Mike_Pet

I like it... Olson doesn't thrill me, but he will bring some knowledge of what the Rams did this season, as well as some of their offensive concepts.

Pettine... I actually am starting to love the idea of him coming in with Flip, if that's our move. Here's a nice read on his regrets in Cleveland:

http://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland/post/_/id/1280/morning-kickoff-mike-pettines-biggest-regrets-were-the-browns-top-two-picks-of-the-2014-draft

Dude is being paid by the Browns through the 2017 season, and apparently has been working on "special projects" for some unnamed NFL coaches.

6 hours ago, WindyCity said:

HC: John DeFilippo

A young offensive mind with a lot of recent success in developing young QBs into star players, add in a year of play calling experience where he was not being over seen by an offensive coach and you have an interesting candidate. DeFilippo is probably a year or 2 away from being the "hot head coaching" candidate as he is not calling plays, although he should be for the Jets, and the Bears jump early.

012115-nfl-John-DeFilippo-pi-mp.vadapt.6

OC: Greg Olson

Olson has a ton of play calling experience, which is a need with a younger offensive HC. Olson worked with DeFilippo in Oakland when Carr was drafted so they have a relationship and have had success with developing a young QB together. Olson has also spent the past 5 years working with young QBs, Carr, Bortles, Goff, and has been in developmental mode for half a decade.

img24406218.jpg

DeFilippo's replacement in Oakland working with Carr he has not been a good OC and it looks like he is going to be fired, but the Raiders thought so much of his work with Carr that they let Musgrave walk and tanked their offense. Carr to me is a ideal physical comparison for Trubisky and I would like him to be on a similar developmental path.

053017-Downing-cp.jpg

DC: Mike Pettine

Pettine was the HC in Cleveland when DeFilippo was the OC and to me Pettine is one of the most intriguing DC candidates on the market. Pettine runs an aggressive 3-4 and could step in and really groove with the personnel that the Bears have.

2014_Hard_Knocks_HBO_NFL_Browns_Mike_Pet

This might be my favorite possible staff. Olsen isn't calling the plays (as he has been underwhelming there from what I saw) but has been around plenty of ascending QBs including Goff's rapid turn around. Unlikely for a HC shot he is a 3 year staff member minimum.

Downing was a poor OC with all the talent that OAK has, so his OC days are going to be a while away, but his work with Carr was impressive. Likely a not a real OC candidate for 2-3 years minimum.

This staff is all about Trubisky, and at this point in the franchise that is exactly what it should be.

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

John Defilippo

ap-johndefilippo-browns.jpg

20171216_dal_frank_pollack02.jpg?itok=tx

Assistant HC/OL...Dallas OL coach Frank Pollack...

Pollack and DeFillipo served on the same staff in Oakland...we need to keep Trubisky upright and open up more holes for the running game...with Sitton's age and Long's injury history we may be in for a transition and having the guy who overseas the NFL's best OL can't be a bad thing.

030813-olson-story1.jpg

Offensive Coordinator...LA Rams QB coach Greg Olson...

Olson has a ton of experience both as an OC and coaching up QBs...DeFillipo would more than likely want to implement his scheme and call plays but bringing in some of the Rams concepts wouldn't hurt at all.

greg-knapp-pic.jpg

QB Coach...Greg Knapp...

Another guy with a ton of experience both as an OC and coaching QBs...having 3 QB focused coaches seems to be the way to go with these young QBs.

131124_TitansRaiders1375_tarver1-715x563

Defensive Coordinator...49ers Senior Defensive Assistant Jason Tarver...

Pettine would be nice but rumor is he will be Nagy's DC...I also never like the dynamic of a former HC then working under one of his assistants...Tarver is another connection to the Raiders and brings an attacking opportunistic D.

21 hours ago, WindyCity said:

053017-Downing-cp.jpg

MN native, and Gopher, from Eden Praire who was an intern for the Vikings back in the early 2000's, also a Minnesota Mauler QB (semi-pro team)!

Jon Marks & Ike Reese on 94WIP‏ @MarksReeseWIP

FollowFollow @MarksReeseWIP

More

.@RapSheet says teams will "definitely" be looking to hire Eagles assistant coaches as head coaches this offseason, and teams are showing especially heavy interest in John DeFilippo

3:46 PM - 20 Dec 2017

Les Bowen‏Verified account @LesBowen

FollowFollow @LesBowen

More

Les Bowen Retweeted Jon Marks & Ike Reese on 94WIP

I would not be shocked if DeFilippo became a head coach this offseason

9 hours ago, G08 said:

Jon Marks & Ike Reese on 94WIP‏ @MarksReeseWIP

FollowFollow @MarksReeseWIP

More

.@RapSheet says teams will "definitely" be looking to hire Eagles assistant coaches as head coaches this offseason, and teams are showing especially heavy interest in John DeFilippo

3:46 PM - 20 Dec 2017

Les Bowen‏Verified account @LesBowen

FollowFollow @LesBowen

More

Les Bowen Retweeted Jon Marks & Ike Reese on 94WIP

I would not be shocked if DeFilippo became a head coach this offseason

I would be excited about the hire. Might be a couple years "early", but let him grow in the job alongside Trubisky.

11 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I would be excited about the hire. Might be a couple years "early", but let him grow in the job alongside Trubisky.

He's the move in my mind, I think Pace and he will get along swimmingly. Both are young, exuberant, high-energy and extremely competitive. I don't think DeFilippo is going to be some personnel controlling Nazi either based on how I heard him answer questions about what he wanted the Browns to do in the draft when he was hired to be OC (then again, being a head coach is a different animal).

If he's the guy, I expect him to run the offense... wonder if he brings Mike Groh along to be his OC? Defensively, it HAS to be someone who has done the job before and can run the show entirely without needing his help (although I think he will still be involved a bit).

Make it happen!

On 12/20/2017 at 10:24 AM, WindyCity said:

Fun Fact

When I was with the Montreal Alouettes, Kliff Kingsbury was a QB in camp and I have actually snapped him the ball. Long story short I have been felt up by Kliff Kingsbury.

Dude is the best looking human being I have ever met in person.

Wife's quote when I relayed that -

"I'd snap him." (Kliff)

EDIT -This part in bold,  I keep laughing about this. It is sig worthy.

Just now, G08 said:

xD

She's brutal about it man. I joked about getting her a Bears jersey with Mrs Kliff, and she was all about it.

I'd have to get myself a Mr Emma Stone one, but if she got hers she would still allow it.

Archived