Should Saints rebuild or are they close to being a NFC contender again?

On 3/19/2024 at 8:26 PM, Jakuvious said:

Making one (questionable, mind you) free agent acquisition does not represent a healthy and flexible cap situation. And I'm sure when the details come out, they'll be paying for most of this contract in future years too. If all $13M his this year, they likely wouldn't even be able to sign their rookie class.

1 hour ago, massraider said:

Interesting note on #Saints DE Chase Young’s contract. Not out of the ordinary, but an important detail. 16 of his 17 per-game roster bonuses are “likely to be earned” meaning they charge to 2024’s cap. However, they’re being treated as a signing bonus, prorated over 5 years.

Just casually adding 7.5 mill in dead cap next year. They in cap hell, and still digging. It's amazing to watch.

I mean, who could have imagined, really?

• Like 5

I don't get why the Saints would sign Chase Young if it required 7.5M of dead cap money next year. He hasn't proven anything (other than he will freestyle to get sacks) and it's not like it's a move that is putting them over the top to compete for a SB... Mickey Loomis is a pretty bad GM the last 3-4 years but man he earned himself big-time job security because he's the only one capable of managing the Saints' cap problems that he himself caused. 4D chess baby!! 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, massraider said:

Just casually adding 7.5 mill in dead cap next year. They in cap hell, and still digging. It's amazing to watch.

🎶🎵If you're goin' through (cap) hell keep on going
Don't slow down if you're scared don't show it
You might get out (sometime before 2030) before the devil even knows you're there 🎵🎶

• Like 1

The Saints totally screwed up with the Carr signing. It's clear they thought their team was a lot more talented than it was. Reminds me of the Vikes signing Cousins. Mickey Loomis needs to go.

Cousins got the Vikings to the playoffs several times and has had a bunch of 4000 yard seasons. He wasn't a bad signing for Minnesota. Carr is a middle of the pack QB and about the best NO could afford.