Should Saints rebuild or are they close to being a NFC contender again?

10 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Look again, man. Like, really look. Aren't void years fun? Because unless you think those 13 players are going to play for the Saints for a $0 salary, you might need to educate yourself.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-orleans-saints

Last time I'm replying to you in this topic. I've said what I need to for anyone else who is reading who is actually willing to listen.

My mistake. I still believe the Saints are completely fine after the soft reset this offseason. They will have to do minimal restructuring next off-season and Carr is an easy cut in 2026 to free up a bunch of cap space. 

1 hour ago, Kingram said:

Adebo, Granderson, Howden, Werner, Shaheed. You not watching the Saints isn’t my problem. 

Those are NFL vets with the exception of Howden.

Adebo is probably a titch above average. Granderson is average. Howden wasn’t even that good, even tho I would agree he could be very good in time. He wasn’t bad…just not someone that I would bank on. Werner is a solid starter. Shaheed is a league average WR.

The Saints best players are all seasoned vets with the exception of Olave.

Neways, I am out on this convo. No1 else agrees with your takes and no1 is gonna be able to convince you that you’re wrong, so peace out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Adebo is probably a titch above average. Granderson is average. Howden wasn’t even that good, even tho I would agree he could be very good in time. He wasn’t bad…just not someone that I would bank on. Werner is a solid starter. Shaheed is a league average WR.

The Saints best players are all seasoned vets with the exception of Olave.

Neways, I am out on this convo. No1 else agrees with your takes and no1 is gonna be able to convince you that you’re wrong, so peace out. 

😂

2 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Adebo is probably a titch above average.

Adebo is our #2 CB and looks to have the ability to be a good #1 CB. He filled in as such a good chunk of last season when Lattimore was injured. He was 3rd in the NFL with 18 pass deflections, targeted 100 times and only gave up 1 touchdown, opposing QB’s had a QB Rating of only 62.7 when targeting Adebo. He had 4 interceptions and 2 forced fumbles. He also had 76 tackles. 

2 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Shaheed is a league average WR.

He’s statistically been the 2nd best deep threat in the NFL behind Tyreek Hill and continues to improve in other aspects of his game after being a little raw as an undrafted free agent in the 2022 draft class. I’d say it’s very fair to be excited about his potential going forward. Especially with a new offensive coordinator that is more likely to find ways to utilize his elite explosive ability in space.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kingram said:

My mistake. I still believe the Saints are completely fine after the soft reset this offseason. They will have to do minimal restructuring next off-season and Carr is an easy cut in 2026 to free up a bunch of cap space. 

Again...this is "cap hell".

If you're even talking about waiting until 2026 to cut your Starting QB.  To free up Cap Space.

If this is the Starting QB you ideally want, you shouldn't even be thinking about this stuff.  You just pay the guy and worry about the rest later.  But no...Carr is the starting QB for a couple more years because he has to be, financially.  You're stuck with it, for better or worse.

And everything you're talking about here is...entirely cap-focused.  It's not about bringing in a bunch of other good players or cutting loose mediocre guys to replace them with better players.  It's about getting "cap compliant" and making moves to make the cap work...with "team building" as a secondary consideration.  That's cap hell.  The opposite should be the prevailing mentality...but it's not in New Orleans.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Again...this is "cap hell".

If you're even talking about waiting until 2026 to cut your Starting QB.  To free up Cap Space.

If this is the Starting QB you ideally want, you shouldn't even be thinking about this stuff.  You just pay the guy and worry about the rest later.  But no...Carr is the starting QB for a couple more years because he has to be, financially.  You're stuck with it, for better or worse.

And everything you're talking about here is...entirely cap-focused.  It's not about bringing in a bunch of other good players or cutting loose mediocre guys to replace them with better players.  It's about getting "cap compliant" and making moves to make the cap work...with "team building" as a secondary consideration.  That's cap hell.  The opposite should be the prevailing mentality...but it's not in New Orleans.

I guess it comes down to having different definitions. I talk about cutting Carr because the signing was a mistake. How many 150M deals can be released after one season? People act like cap space is why the Saints are an average team. I don’t think that’s even remotely true. Even when we had plenty of cap space the Saints weren’t big free agent spenders, it’s just not how they’ve operated. The reason we haven’t won the division the last three years comes down to coaching and with Payton it came down to injuries at QB. 

30 minutes ago, Kingram said:

I guess it comes down to having different definitions. I talk about cutting Carr because the signing was a mistake. How many 150M deals can be released after one season? People act like cap space is why the Saints are an average team. I don’t think that’s even remotely true. Even when we had plenty of cap space the Saints weren’t big free agent spenders, it’s just not how they’ve operated. The reason we haven’t won the division the last three years comes down to coaching and with Payton it came down to injuries at QB. 

It's not that "cap space" as a nebulous entity is holding them back.

It's that...they're stuck to Derek Carr.  Whether they like it or not.  That's Cap Hell.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

It's not that "cap space" as a nebulous entity is holding them back.

It's that...they're stuck to Derek Carr.  Whether they like it or not.  That's Cap Hell.

I don’t think Carr is the issue either honestly. He was fine last year, not special but fine. If Kubiak can modernize the offense I think the Saints will be a playoff team. 

27 minutes ago, Kingram said:

I don’t think Carr is the issue either honestly. He was fine last year, not special but fine. If Kubiak can modernize the offense I think the Saints will be a playoff team. 

He's "fine" and it's all just alright.  There are no issues here.  Maybe look to cut him in a couple years when it's financially feasible.  Build something else around a better QB.

The Saints are the perfect example of why I am ok with Void Years. If you want to build your team like this and constantly push money into the future that is fine. If you screw it up this badly though you just are stuck being a middling at best team. It is a large risk/reward that you have to balance. If you take the risks the Saints have and miss you can essentially put your team in a perpetual cycle of mediocrity.

I don't see how the Saints get out of this situation any time soon unless they just find a legit franchise QB somewhere in the draft. The way the roster is currently constructed with Carr at the helm is a disaster if you actually want to compete for a championship.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Aren't the Saints already angling for a tank to get the top pick in 2026 or 2027, whenever Arch Manning comes out?

You mean a backup who’s proven nothing yet? Why would an organization stake everything on that? Because he’s to NO what Pickett is to Pittsburgh?

8 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Aren't the Saints already angling for a tank to get the top pick in 2026 or 2027, whenever Arch Manning comes out?

According to some Saints fans in this thread they have a strong roster and will compete for the playoffs as soon as this year. And everyone of their players will get better. And they're not in cap hell, don't you even insinuate that! And if you disagree it's because you're not watching the Saints enough. 

But yeah, that's what it's looking like to me, they will bottom out in the next few years and might be bad enough to draft a good prospect. 

• Like 2

Interesting note on #Saints DE Chase Young’s contract. Not out of the ordinary, but an important detail. 16 of his 17 per-game roster bonuses are “likely to be earned” meaning they charge to 2024’s cap. However, they’re being treated as a signing bonus, prorated over 5 years.

Just casually adding 7.5 mill in dead cap next year. They in cap hell, and still digging. It's amazing to watch.

• Like 3