Free agent Frenzy 2024!!

Maybe living in a fantasy world here, but what are the chances of the Bosa things a possibility that Nick takes a pay cut so they can afford his brother. If there’s ever a time someone might be willing to do something unselfish, maybe it’s to play with your family. 

12 minutes ago, straighthate said:

Maybe living in a fantasy world here, but what are the chances of the Bosa things a possibility that Nick takes a pay cut so they can afford his brother. If there’s ever a time someone might be willing to do something unselfish, maybe it’s to play with your family. 

My guess is Joey will take a below market deal but we will see if it happens. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, straighthate said:

As @49erurtaza said, I think it's more likely that Joey just takes a slightly below market deal. I don't think he'll have a monster market anyway given the injury history. 

I think the NFLPA is very down on paycuts if they're not driven by market forces (IE the player doesn't think they'll get that on the open market) and I can't imagine that they would be happy with Nick doing that. I don't know that it's forbidden or anything, but I think thats kind of a big unwritten rule. 

• Like 3

I still think throwing a late rounder at them and only having to pay his base for the next two years would be super beneficial to us. Idk what he's going to get on the open market, but 15 & 17 for the next two years seems extremely fair to me. 

1 hour ago, GW21 said:

Maybe I'm being dumb about how this works, but wouldn't it be worth it to us to just throw a late round pick at them and pick up his contract? Unless I'm completely off base, they'd be responsible for all of his bonuses and we'd be responsible for his base of 15M & 17M for the next two years right? 

That seems like a bargain based on what the edge market looks like IMO.

Obviously we'd be betting on him to stay healthy, but that's a bet I'd be willing to make. 

Joey has a 7 million roster bonus due this Saturday. I believe his cap hit would be 22 million for 2024 if we traded for him. 

Edited by 49erurtaza

1 minute ago, GW21 said:

I still think throwing a late rounder at them and only having to pay his base for the next two years would be super beneficial to us. Idk what he's going to get on the open market, but 15 & 17 for the next two years seems extremely fair to me. 

Don't forget the roster bonuses. Those travel with him. 7 this year, over 8 next year. 

So it's more like 22 and 25

2 minutes ago, GW21 said:

All things equal Joey would probably veto a trade anywhere else. If so, lets just save the pick and sign him to a better deal then he currently has 

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

Don't forget the roster bonuses. Those travel with him. 7 this year, over 8 next year. 

So it's more like 22 and 25

See I figured I was missing something. I thought the team that traded the player was responsible for all the bonuses, but it would make sense that roster bonuses follow. 

Just now, 49ersfan said:

All things equal Joey would probably veto a trade anywhere else. If so, lets just save the pick and sign him to a better deal then he currently has 

Yeah, my thought was that we could save some money if we could get him at his base salary, which is below market value. I'm no cap guru though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GW21 said:

See I figured I was missing something. I thought the team that traded the player was responsible for all the bonuses, but it would make sense that roster bonuses follow. 

Honestly, 22 and 25 is hardly the worst thing either. I mean, Hunter basically got 25 yesterday fully guaranteed. The only question would be whether or not he can stay healthy. 

I'm not sure i'm on board with restructuring him and adding void years to fit that in, I think that's a big risk that you're going to have some healthy dead money next year, but if Bosa can get it back together, I think he's easily worth both of those hits quite easily 

• Like 2

Gilmore can still play and I understand his age, but that's someone I have my eye on.

We have draft picks to go younger but 2024 seems like the breaking point for this current core. I mean you have players like Armstead already being replaced but there will be more turnover after next offseason. 

Gilmore/Ward on the outside with Lenoir in the slot in nickel downs is filthy. 

12 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Gilmore can still play and I understand his age, but that's someone I have my eye on.

We have draft picks to go younger but 2024 seems like the breaking point for this current core. I mean you have players like Armstead already being replaced but there will be more turnover after next offseason. 

Gilmore/Ward on the outside with Lenoir in the slot in nickel downs is filthy. 

I thought Gilmore would have gotten a sizeable 1 year deal by now, there are plenty of teams that could use him

It seems like the niners are being a bit more fiscally responsible this year. Asking Armstead & Juice for paycuts. Restructuring Warner who’s likely to be here for 3+ seasons instead of someone like Kittle who’s probably only here for 1-2 more seasons 

once full details of the contracts come out, will be interesting to see if we added any void years. I get why we do it, but still not a big fan of it 

• Like 1