Steelers sign QB Russell Wilson

RaidersAreOne

It's like when something marked down so much from original price you have to buy it.

It's on that clearance rack and was $150.   Now it is $20.   Are you going to actually wear it more than a few times?   Eeeehhhh.  But it's $20.  It was $150.00.  

You can't help yourself because it is such a deal.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, warfelg said:

If he doesn’t he doesn’t.  I’ve been looking over the passing charts from Smiths QB’s and I think the MOF stuff is overblown a bit.  He’s a PA deep shot kind of offense which is was Russ is good at.

It requires the quarterback to take advantage of linebackers attacking the run, but Russ does not see the field well enough to do that. 

Very interested to how the Steelers run game shakes out this year with Russ at the helm. Once teams figured out Russ was struggling to hit short to intermediate balls over the middle they started playing a lot of two high safety with everybody else up near the LOS keying on the run. This took away a lot of the deep shots and the run game went from pretty decent at the start of the year to pretty terrible from an efficiency standpoint. 

My point being is that I think Russ hinders the run game more than immediately evident. This might change with different play call and personnel  though. 

2 minutes ago, MontanaBronco said:

Very interested to how the Steelers run game shakes out this year with Russ at the helm. Once teams figured out Russ was struggling to hit short to intermediate balls over the middle they started playing a lot of two high safety with everybody else up near the LOS keying on the run. This took away a lot of the deep shots and the run game went from pretty decent at the start of the year to pretty terrible from an efficiency standpoint. 

My point being is that I think Russ hinders the run game more than immediately evident. This might change with different play call and personnel  though. 

Arthur Smith's passing concepts are mostly MOF, which Russ struggles at. If teams effectively limit the deep shots against him, it's not going to be good.

Steelers were (are) in a no-win QB situation this season. I really can't see a much better solution for them right now. Pick your own percentages, but let's say there's a 10% chance Pickett turns it around, and a 10% chance Wilson gives them good play and leadership. That's still better than giving up a bunch of additional resources for a marginally better situation.

Try it for this year. If it fails, so what. You haven't damaged yourself in future years.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

Bringing in Wilson on a 1 year really makes me think Pitt still believes in Pickett as the future. Kind of the Rodgers/Z. Wilson "I'll play for a year or two and he'll take over the position for the next 15". The more I think about it the more I hate this for the Steelers. It doesn't feel like they have any kind of solid long term plan at QB. They won't be picking high enough to get an elite prospect next year in the draft. I think they'll be stuck looking at a weaker 2025 FA QB class to save them.

I think the Steelers draft a QB next year but if playing behind Wilson allows Pickett to learn to stay in the pocket, read defenses, stop drifting left and be more accurate in his throws then more power.

1 minute ago, SMashMouthMike said:

Is this better than signing fields? Idk

Imo yes. 1st you have to move draft capital to get fields and that sounds like potentially a day 2 pick. 2nd if you do trade for him then you also pick up his 5th year option and now are paying him some where close to 31 mil over the next 2 seasons. Bigger upside sure but I'm not sold fields ever becomes an effective thrower. 

Russ will cost 1.3 mil and no draft capitol. I don't think he drastically changes much for the teams short term future over what pickett provides but at that cost its worth a look. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Snack said:

Imo yes. 1st you have to move draft capital to get fields and that sounds like potentially a day 2 pick. 2nd if you do trade for him then you also pick up his 5th year option and now are paying him some where close to 31 mil over the next 2 seasons. Bigger upside sure but I'm not sold fields ever becomes an effective thrower. 

Russ will cost 1.3 mil and no draft capitol. I don't think he drastically changes much for the teams short term future over what pickett provides but at that cost its worth a look. 

It makes some sense, if the offense can get a moster running game going and incorporate some pa.  Is the Steelers oline capable of that? Idk, kinda doubt it but they got better at the end of the regular season. I still lean towards fields but this is better than sending Pickett out there.

Edited by SMashMouthMike