Vikings sign Sam Darnold

18 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Darnold hasn't stayed healthy in his career, right? Nothing serious but something to keep an eye on. 

i imagine the Vikings' medical team is on it.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

Harrison Phillips: "I'm getting older, and in Year Seven I probably have less years in front of me than behind me, so my window to win a Super Bowl is narrowing. But I'm extremely optimistic about the moves they've made. I don't know how the whole thing is going to come to a conclusion, but I think we are going to win a lot of football games with Sam as the captain of the ship. The veterans here are going to be like, 'Yeah, we're going to roll with this.' People have confidence in the moves they've made."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40534444/inside-vikings-move-kirk-cousins-jj-mccarthy

Vikings players began reporting to camp on Monday and O’Connell offered an update on the plan for the team’s quarterbacks. O’Connell said at a press conference that Darnold will get the “majority” of the first-team reps once the team starts practicing.

First-round pick J.J. McCarthy will also get first-team work and O’Connell said he wants a “really competitive situation,” but the nature of the split will mean that Darnold will be on the inside track to start against the Giants in Week One.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/sam-darnold-to-get-majority-of-first-team-reps-at-vikings-camp

Jefferson: "Sam definitely has a strong arm, just seeing the deep throws that he threw today with touch and good spiral, I definitely like that. Once you see something in practice and someone shows you something in practice then you expect it. Him throwing these deep balls and precise passes, we're going to expect that going forward."

O’Connell: “I think he's always had the skill set. When you really turn on the tape, he's shown that skill set matches with playing the quarterback position at the NFL level consistently. That's going to be the name of the game. How comfortable can he get within our offense? What kind of similarities to some other systems where he's had some success can he find in our system? Also, the leadership piece of that quarterback walking in the huddle and making sure that everybody's on the same page and dialed in ready to go execute, are all things Sam's thinking about.”

MinnesotaVikingsPro.com

• Like 2

McCarthy: "But Sam's just been nothing but great. You know, super open. Treats me like his little brother, and I can't thank him enough for that. And when it comes to competition? A rising tide lifts all ships. You know, I'm gonna push him because I'm pushing myself to be the best 'me' every day. He's doing the same, and he's been doing so great so far, and I just can't wait to see what he does along the way."

Darnold: "Everyone learns together in the quarterbacks room. If I can take things from J.J. that he can teach me, I'll gladly take it. We're all learning from each other not only in the quarterback room, but everyone on the offense on the defense. Everyone's just constantly asking each other, not only about football, but off-the-field things, too. So just to be able to help in any way I can and be able to ask for help amongst these guys in the locker room, that's the kind of relationship that we have with each other in that locker room. And again, that's one of the great things about this place that I've realized so far."

vikings.com

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, viking said:

So the 2024 NFL season for the Vikings rest solely on the shoulders of Sam Darnold.

If he can have a Geno Smith or Baker Mayfield esq revival I think we can make some noise. 

the support and guidance he's getting from O'Connell is immense, and significant.

he has some pretty decent receivers to throw to also, that helps.

My biggest concern with Darnold heading into the season is his ability to navigate in the red zone. 

Im expecting plenty of big plays down field, and some very efficient play between the 20s. But it’s when things get condensed inside the 20 where I think Darnold struggles to see throwing lanes. This is another reason as to why I hope the run game is better this year. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, VikeManDan said:

#InDarnoldWeTrust

In all seriousness, I think Darnold will surprise people this season. In a good way.

If they can manage to get to 8-9 or 9-8, I'll consider the season a success.  😂