New Kicker Brandon McManus

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

This won't be wrapped up before preseason ends. The legal process takes forever. Why risk your kicker getting suspended midseason? We have no ties to this guy, he's aging and honestly mediocre. Just cut him. 

Fine. All I said was at worst bring someone else in. 

15 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

This won't be wrapped up before preseason ends. The legal process takes forever. Why risk your kicker getting suspended midseason? We have no ties to this guy, he's aging and honestly mediocre. Just cut him. 

If their internal investigation yields no incriminating evidence, he'll likely be our kicker. This F.O. likely would go with a NFL veteran replacement if released, and there aren't very good options currently. When the cuts start happening, who knows. 

17 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Fine. All I said was at worst bring someone else in. 

They have to create a roster spot I suppose. I guess we can cut guy number 90 -no loss. Jalen Harris gets the nod.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

He gone. 

Perfect timing to sign the Defenders kicker as their season just ended. He just barely missed a 54-yarder today in the Defenders game. It would’ve been good from 50. It had plenty of distance it went just a bit right.

https://www.betweenthegoalposts.com/post/xfl-week-4-special-teams-power-rankings

“John Parker Romo (SA) takes the top spot after a stellar 2-for-2 performance this week. His first field goal came from 38 yards out, but his second attempt was the one that really impressed me. Romo made this 57-yard field goal to break his own record for the Longest Field Goal in the XFL! This is an XFL record and the longest field goal made in Lumen Field history!

1. Matthew McCrane (DC) had the highest-scoring performance we've seen from any kicker in the XFL, making 4 field goals in a row after missing his first attempt from 47 yards out. After his miss, he came back and finished the night going 4-for-5, including a 20-yarder, a 23-yarder, a 26-yarder, and a 35-yarderwhich was his longest completion of the night.

Edited by turtle28

That means there must have been fire to the smoke. Not worth having that distraction on the team. They could probably even get out of the guaranteed money if he gets convicted of something.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

That means there must have been fire to the smoke. Not worth having that distraction on the team. They could probably even get out of the guaranteed money if he gets convicted of something.

I hope this is the case. I hope that the team found some fire to the smoke that was there. I'm really hoping we didn't cut a guy based solely on an allegation.

Don't get me wrong. I realize who we are and what our recent track record is regarding this. And had Snyder been the owner this would not have shocked me to see him cut (to prevent even more bad press). I'm just thinking about locker room stuff and how this might be perceived by the current roster.

Also - I need to add that I'm okay with cutting him if we think we can get similar production from another kicker. I'm not married to this guy being our kicker. I just think that there should be something more than just an allegation before a guy loses his job. And hopefully the team found out that there was and made the decision based upon that updated information (maybe directly from the Jags organization). And if there was, absolutely 100% on board with cutting him.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I hope this is the case. I hope that the team found some fire to the smoke that was there. I'm really hoping we didn't cut a guy based solely on an allegation.

Don't get me wrong. I realize who we are and what our recent track record is regarding this. And had Snyder been the owner this would not have shocked me to see him cut (to prevent even more bad press). I'm just thinking about locker room stuff and how this might be perceived by the current roster.

Also - I need to add that I'm okay with cutting him if we think we can get similar production from another kicker. I'm not married to this guy being our kicker. I just think that there should be something more than just an allegation before a guy loses his job. And hopefully the team found out that there was and made the decision based upon that updated information (maybe directly from the Jags organization). And if there was, absolutely 100% on board with cutting him.

Either way it’s the right move in my eyes. They have to let the team know that type of behavior on chartered flights won’t be acceptable under this new owner/GM/HC. They sent a message that needed to be sent to the team. 

I do think there has to be smoke to this fire though. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Either way it’s the right move in my eyes. They have to let the team know that type of behavior on chartered flights won’t be acceptable under this new owner/GM/HC. They sent a message that needed to be sent to the team. 

If all there is, is an allegation then it was premature. I agree with sending a message, but you gotta have more than just someone saying you did something to lose your job (at least, that's my opinion). 

I do think there has to be smoke to this fire though. 

I think you mean fire to this smoke, and I agree that there has to be. Just going on record as saying I've seen players (in differing sports and at various levels of competition) accused of things that turned out not to be true and I hope that this isn't one of those times. My guess is that we rang up the Jags and based upon what they told us about their investigation of that particular flight, that was enough to realize the juice wasn't worth the squeeze..

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

If all there is, is an allegation then it was premature. I agree with sending a message, but you gotta have more than just someone saying you did something to lose your job (at least, that's my opinion). 

I think you mean fire to this smoke, and I agree that there has to be. Just going on record as saying I've seen players (in differing sports and at various levels of competition) accused of things that turned out not to be true and I hope that this isn't one of those times. My guess is that we rang up the Jags and based upon what they told us about their investigation of that particular flight, that was enough to realize the juice wasn't worth the squeeze..

The NFL has been cutting players and suspending them over allegations since Ray Lewis was part of the murder investigation in Atlanta 23 years ago. Its not changing. I've complained about it for years how players get cut or suspended over allegations all the time and I don't think it is right but, it also doesn't seem its ever going to change short of players going on strike to change that which too much money is involved for them and most players don't have these issues thus I don't see it changing. 

Personally, I don't think players should get suspended or cut until they are convicted of a crime. I feel the same way about even for a weird creep like DeShaun Watson  but, the league doesn't operate like that. If they view a player's action as bad for business they suspend them for their allegation or even cut them.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1