49ers sign LB Eric Kendricks UPDATE: lol just kidding

4 minutes ago, 9erFreak77 said:

I guess this is in case Greenlaw (which he probably will be) is not back till late in the season.

That's certainly the goal and I guess he's absolutely ok as a stop-gap signing for that role.

Solid signing.

Dude is fast, instinctive and smart as hell. 

Next to Warner, he should thrive.

I'm assuming Staley had a hand in this signing as well.

I preferred to Azeez but this will definitely suffice. 

Have to think he also helps in the maturation of Winters & Graham.

• Like 3

Solid signing. Kendricks is a proven veteran that still has something left in the tank and can hold it down until Greenlaw returns. Still hoping for one of Graham or Winters to take the next step and be contributors next season. 

Going defense in free agency and likely offense early in the draft. 

• Like 4

What I like most about this is not having to draft a LB who can contribute right away.  And it will definitely upgrade our base defense later in the year when Greenlaw is ready to play. Kendricks is also there in case that just doesn't happen.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

What I like most about this is not having to draft a LB who can contribute right away.  And it will definitely upgrade our base defense later in the year when Greenlaw is ready to play. Kendricks is also there in case that just doesn't happen.

I had a need for 2 rotational quality edges, 2 rotational quality defensive tackles, a weakside linebacker that can start for/replace Greenlaw, and improvements to the depth chart at offensive guard and tackle in addition to number 2 tight end and #2 flanker as the obvious roster needs for next year (at corner we have bodies, but it could very well be that fewer are liked by the administration than I perceive). We've filled the edge roles and swapped out Armstead (leaving a higher snap starting defensive tackle role open) for one of the rotational defensive tackles we needed. We also found the spot starter for Greenlaw and also are possibly moving on from Juice. This leaves a need for a starting defensive tackle, improvements at guard or tackle that I would like to start (especially over Burford at guard), 2 tight ends/fullbacks including one that can play serious immediate minutes. This leaves the first 3 picks as likely an offensive linemen, a defensive interior player, and a tight end/fullback. Of course, if a super high value player falls especially in the first round, you have to pounce. But those are the most valuable roster spots that need filling.

Edited by JIllg
  • Like 2

AND most importantly, it's an upgrade over Burks. Especially from a coverage standpoint.

Our LBs have to be above board in coverage, especially as zone defenders.

Kendricks gives you that, at minimum.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I had a need for 2 rotational quality edges, 2 rotational quality defensive tackles, a weakside linebacker that can start for/replace Greenlaw, and improvements to the depth chart at offensive guard and tackle in addition to number 2 tight end and #2 flanker as the obvious roster needs for next year (at corner we have bodies, but it could very well be that fewer are liked by the administration than I perceive). We've filled the edge roles and swapped out Armstead (leaving a higher snap starting defensive tackle role open) for one of the rotational defensive tackles we needed. We also found the spot starter for Greenlaw and also are possibly moving on from Juice. This leaves a need for a starting defensive tackle, improvements at guard or tackle that I would like to start (especially over Burford at guard), 2 tight ends/fullbacks including one that can play serious immediate minutes. This leaves the first 3 picks as likely an offensive linemen, a defensive interior player, and a tight end/fullback. Of course, if a super high value player falls especially in the first round, you have to pounce. But those are the most valuable roster spots that need filling.

I would still add CB/NB regardless of what the team thinks of those on board, because I wouldn't count on any of the current bodies after our top two. I'm not at all going to be disappointed if CB is one of our top targets in the first two rounds. But otherwise, I hope they see the OL the same way, but am not going to be shocked if it is not a priority until day 3.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I would still add CB/NB regardless of what the team thinks of those on board, because I wouldn't count on any of the current bodies after our top two. I'm not at all going to be disappointed if CB is one of our top targets in the first two rounds. But otherwise, I hope they see the OL the same way, but am not going to be shocked if it is not a priority until day 3.

I have been drafting offensive linemen in the sub's GM draft every year for the past 5 in our drafts (hey, I would have Zach Tom and Creed Humphrey; ignore the rest) and the team hasn't failed to not care as long as they have Trent lol.

• Like 3