Favorite Ravens Play

Even though it didn't have a ton of significance my favorite was Willis McGahee's 77 yard (I think?) TD run against the cowboys sometime in the mid 20 teens. I remember jumping up and down in the basement with my dad just beside ourselves with excitement.

Doesn't have to be the best play in Ravens' history, or the most significant, just your favorite.

Let's get personal

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, NYCRavensFlock said:

Even though it didn't have a ton of significance my favorite was Willis McGahee's 77 yard (I think?) TD run against the cowboys sometime in the mid 20 teens. I remember jumping up and down in the basement with my dad just beside ourselves with excitement.

That game was awesome-

Probably Ed Reed’s TD in the 2008 wildcard at Miami where Haloti Ngata absolutely decleats someone on the return

Or this one is more obscure - but in 2008 Ray Lewis had an INT against the Texans and on the return he literally stiff armed Vonta Leach off of his feet. It was a legit Derrick Henry style stiff arm except instead of being on a 180lb corner it was on one of the toughest dudes on the planet in Vonta Leach lol

Chris McAlister 107-yard FG return vs. the Broncos in 2002.

The Ravens had dismantled their super bowl roster after 2001, and started 2002 with an 0-2 record. Was the Ravens success over?

No. The young Ravens jump out over the Broncos 24-3, and the Broncos line up for a FG with 0:01 on the clock. McCalister grabs the errant kick, casually takes a couple steps. Ray Lewis (who played special teams for some reason!) is the first down the field, and motions his teammates to set up the return. The one Bronco who made it down the field was closing in on McCalister, and Lewis lays the most brutal blindside block (when it was still legal) that frees McCalister to take it to the house.

The old Super Bowl team was dead, but the new young Ravens were ready to make their mark.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DreamKid said:

That game was awesome-

18 hours ago, NYCRavensFlock said:

The LeRon McClain 80 yard TD the next possession was even more insane!

• Like 1

It's a basic answer, but no single football watching moment will top the mile high miracle. Situation and circumstances I watched that epic game up to that moment will not be topped. All doubt we were winning everything was gone.

• Like 3

A lot of my favorites have already been mentioned, a couple I'd add:

• The first of Anquan Boldin's two touchdown catches in the AFC Title game win over the Pats where he tosses the Pats DB like a rag doll and then taunts him on the way down. 
  • Ravens/Steelers, the Bart Scott sack on Roethlisberger in 2006 where he came in untouched and laid one of the hardest hits I've ever seen.
  • Ravens/Steelers, Ngata destroying Mendenhall and forcing a turnover in 2011. 
  • Ed Reed pick six of Kevin Kolb in 2008.
  • Lamar Jackson spin move TD against the Bengals, Kevin Harlan on the call... "OHHHH, HE BROKE HIS ANKLES!!!!

1 hour ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

A lot of my favorites have already been mentioned, a couple I'd add:

• The first of Anquan Boldin's two touchdown catches in the AFC Title game win over the Pats where he tosses the Pats DB like a rag doll and then taunts him on the way down. 
  • Ravens/Steelers, the Bart Scott sack on Roethlisberger in 2006 where he came in untouched and laid one of the hardest hits I've ever seen.
  • Ravens/Steelers, Ngata destroying Mendenhall and forcing a turnover in 2011. 
  • Ed Reed pick six of Kevin Kolb in 2008.
  • Lamar Jackson spin move TD against the Bengals, Kevin Harlan on the call... "OHHHH, HE BROKE HIS ANKLES!!!!

Speaking of Ravens/Steelers, the play where JJ seeks out Hines Ward trying to run a little sneaky cross behind the LoS and just absolutely destroys him. Hands down my favorite Ravens/Steelers play.

I’m curious if anyone else remembers this because it was never highlighted in the telecast but playing against I think the Titans or the Jags we ran a pass play that resulted in a TD (I think) and Ogden was blocking the DE outside. A LB or S then came on a delayed blitz between Ogden and the guard (who was occupied with a DT). Ogden saw it and threw the DE to the ground like a rag doll and then came down on the blitzer crushing him into the DT. Basically took out 3 defenders on the play. I’ve never seen this play again, it was before DVR and like I said the broadcast focused on the TD in the replays rather than the incredible play Ogden made. JO was one of my favorite players and I thought he was so great that he didn’t even have to give 100% on every play because DEs would kind of give up knowing they didn’t stand a chance. 

2 hours ago, jpeter15 said:

I’m curious if anyone else remembers this because it was never highlighted in the telecast but playing against I think the Titans or the Jags we ran a pass play that resulted in a TD (I think) and Ogden was blocking the DE outside. A LB or S then came on a delayed blitz between Ogden and the guard (who was occupied with a DT). Ogden saw it and threw the DE to the ground like a rag doll and then came down on the blitzer crushing him into the DT. Basically took out 3 defenders on the play. I’ve never seen this play again, it was before DVR and like I said the broadcast focused on the TD in the replays rather than the incredible play Ogden made. JO was one of my favorite players and I thought he was so great that he didn’t even have to give 100% on every play because DEs would kind of give up knowing they didn’t stand a chance. 

Kelechi Osemele (or was it Yanda? I can't remember) did something very similar in a Steelers game a while back as well. I think it was 2 players instead of 3, but damn near the same play as you're describing.

If we are talking favorite guard plays how about Marshal Yanda at (2:36:16) to push Ray Rice to a first down for the GW FG setup in the MHM game.

I could probably name 7 others in that game, just a couple I had to rewatch just now:
* 2:26:20 - Flacco to Pitta on 3rd and 13 all the way back - if not complete we punt from our goal line and very likely lose on a FG
* 2:30:00 - Biggest punt execution in Ravens history to flip the field, with Jimmy Smith's best moment ever (until 3 weeks later)

On 3/16/2024 at 8:01 PM, DreamKid said:

That game was awesome-

I forgot what a f***ing warrior derrick mason was. Literally our only WR capable of getting open, cant even move his arm because of injury, and then so humble in the post-game interview when he said something like "well I couldn't really move my arm so Joe put it in a place where I didn't have to move too much." Man he was so underrated.

• Like 1

Had we won the game and won the SB, I’m sure this would’ve also been an instant classic and probably second only to the Mile High Miracle, but…

How about Lamar tossing a pass to himself for a 13 yard gain. It was one of the most incredible things I had ever seen… and it just felt like immediately after that play was made, that there was hope for the comeback being completed and that play would long time be remembered as one of the utmost greats, the play to spark the comeback.

Alas… that didn’t happen, but it was still an amazing display.

On another note, the record breaking kick against the Lions was also pretty special considering the game winning drive and the absurdity of how far that kick went and how it was outside and not in a dome. If Tucker makes the HOF, that’s going to absolutely be on his reel.