Raiders resign John Jenkins (1yr/3.25M)

11 hours ago, 101Raider said:

I’m conflicted, good resigning but likely closes the door on Sweat who’s going to be a monster in the league. 

A smart GM would draft a 1T like Sweat as a succession plan to learn under Jenkins for the year before taking over in year 2. Then you also have Nesta on a cheap rookie deal for several years as depth. But Telesco is not a smart GM so there’s that. 

Edited by jpaulthe1st
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

A smart GM would draft a 1T like Sweat as a succession plan in this draft to learn under Jenkins for the year before taking over in year 2. Then you also have Nesta on a cheap rookie deal for several years as depth. But Telesco is not a smart GM so there’s that. 

If we draft Sweat he’s starting and Jenkins probably doesn’t even make the squad, Imo 

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If we draft Sweat he’s starting and Jenkins probably doesn’t even make the squad, Imo 

1-tech DT’s typically need a year or two before they figure out how to consistently win against NFL level OL (see Jordan Davis). 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nightmare said:

The DL looks in very good shape, which is something we can't have said for a Raiders DL in... forever?

I really like what we're doing on the defensive side of the ball. It's a shame the offense is trending in such a worryingly meh direction. We're a good starting QB away from being a serious team, but it feels like that QB is so far away right now.

(Probably a comment for another thread - forgetting for a second that this is the Jenkins re-sign thread. But yeah, good deal to bring him back.)

probably should have kept DC hmmm?

10 hours ago, jpaulthe1st said:

A smart GM would draft a 1T like Sweat as a succession plan to learn under Jenkins for the year before taking over in year 2. Then you also have Nesta on a cheap rookie deal for several years as depth. But Telesco is not a smart GM so there’s that. 

You know I'm going to highlight this and laugh so hard if he drafts Sweat.

22 hours ago, jpaulthe1st said:

If it happens I’ll be here to take my medicine. 

Me too and happily so (though I don’t have anywhere near the level of animosity towards Telesco as others here). I’d be one ecstatic dude to have that monstrosity on the Raiders. 

Edited by 101Raider
  • Like 1

On 3/17/2024 at 9:45 AM, jpaulthe1st said:

only two project starters over 30 are Tae and Jenkins... What Telesco move did you not like ?

42 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I would have preferred a few other guys, but Minshew received comparable money to other vets? What would you have did?

I would have been more patient and waited on Fields who ended up being available for a late round flier. The only other QB that got a multi-year deal in FA was Cousins so we were effectively bidding against ourselves for a journeyman that put up nearly identical stats to AOC.

We gave him 2/25 when guys such as Russell Wilson, Drew Lock, James Winston, and Marcus Mariota got somewhere between league minimum and $6 million. It was a massive overpay for a JAG and basically repeats the exact same mistake we made last year by panicking and paying top dollar (compared to his actual worth) for a trash starter early in the early days of FA. 

Edited by jpaulthe1st

2 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

I would have been more patient and waited on Fields who ended up being available for a late round flier. The only other QB that got a multi-year deal in FA was Cousins so we were effectively bidding against ourselves for a journeyman that put up nearly identical stats to AOC.

We gave him 2/25 when guys such as Russell Wilson, Drew Lock, James Winston, and Marcus Mariota got somewhere between league minimum and $6 million. It was a massive overpay for a JAG and basically repeats the exact same mistake we made last year by panicking and paying top dollar for a trash starter early in FA. 

It was a slight overpay, and I would have preferred Darnold or Jameis. Fields would have be ideal for a mid rounder but maybe Getsy didn’t want him. Russ was always going with Tomlin. 

17 hours ago, jpaulthe1st said:

We gave him 2/25 when guys such as Russell Wilson, Drew Lock, James Winston, and Marcus Mariota got somewhere between league minimum and $6 million. It was a massive overpay for a JAG and basically repeats the exact same mistake we made last year by panicking and paying top dollar (compared to his actual worth) for a trash starter early in the early days of FA. 

R. Wilson only took league minimum because the Broncos are paying him another 38M.  The rest of those guys all suck really, really badly.  I would've lost all hope if we signed any of those guys.  You're literally getting what you paid for.  Minshew is slightly better to much better than all of those guys.  Have you even watched any of those 3 play?  Mariota was signed, benched, cut, all within a year I believe, Winston literally plays like he still hasn't had LASIK surgery, and Drew Lock is going to get paid league minimum to hold clip boards until he retires.

• Like 3