2024 NFC North = War Zone?

Lions are defending division champs fresh off an NFC title game trip.

Packers really flashed down the stretch and Love looks legit.

Bears are drafting Caleb into a WAY better situation than Fields had; defense really improved last year.

Vikings are presumably targeting a first-round QB and KOC is an excellent offensive coach.

Who ends the year as the King in the North?

• Like 2

I don't think the NFC North is going to be the warzone you think it it is.

Detroit is going to be top dog until they get unseated, but I don't think they're going to walk away with the division like they did this past offseason.  It's a little bit different when you're the favorite and expected to win versus the team that kinda comes out of nowhere.  Don't get me wrong, they were a popular pick last offseason as the winner of the NFC North, but they'll be the favorites to win the NFC North again this year.  I'm still skeptical that the Lions will win the division by 3+ games like they did this past season.

Green Bay probably is the team that pushes them for the division as long as there isn't a sophomore slump for Jordan Love.  Offensively, I think they're going to be better with another year of their young core in place, but defensively I'd like to see them take the next jump.

Chicago might be #3 if they're able to get right offensively.  Despite the Bears fans' opinions, Justin Fields absolutely was part of the problem with the offense and it's not going to magically figure itself over night.  I'm interested to see how the Bears surround Caleb Williams' in the QB room, and how they shape the rest of the draft outside of him.

Minnesota is a mess.  Their offensive skill positions are obviously very good, but their QB room isn't.  And that's assuming that they're able to go up and get a QB in the draft.  Their IOL needs a bit of work, and their OTs are solid.  And then their defense just seems to be trending in the wrong direction.  Brian Flores can do good work with limited talent, but at a certain point that limited talent is going to come back to haunt them.  Going from Danielle Hunter to Jonathan Greenard might come back to haunt him if Grennard turns into a pumpkin after last year.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Lions are defending division champs fresh off an NFC title game trip.

Packers really flashed down the stretch and Love looks legit.

Bears are drafting Caleb into a WAY better situation than Fields had; defense really improved last year.

Vikings are presumably targeting a first-round QB and KOC is an excellent offensive coach.

Who ends the year as the King in the North?

What makes you think Williams is walking into a better situation than Fields? Also, what makes you think he fares any better than Fields?  Chicago is still in the basement of the North.

30 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I don't think the NFC North is going to be the warzone you think it it is.

Detroit is going to be top dog until they get unseated, but I don't think they're going to walk away with the division like they did this past offseason.  It's a little bit different when you're the favorite and expected to win versus the team that kinda comes out of nowhere.  Don't get me wrong, they were a popular pick last offseason as the winner of the NFC North, but they'll be the favorites to win the NFC North again this year.  I'm still skeptical that the Lions will win the division by 3+ games like they did this past season.

Green Bay probably is the team that pushes them for the division as long as there isn't a sophomore slump for Jordan Love.  Offensively, I think they're going to be better with another year of their young core in place, but defensively I'd like to see them take the next jump.

Chicago might be #3 if they're able to get right offensively.  Despite the Bears fans' opinions, Justin Fields absolutely was part of the problem with the offense and it's not going to magically figure itself over night.  I'm interested to see how the Bears surround Caleb Williams' in the QB room, and how they shape the rest of the draft outside of him.

Minnesota is a mess.  Their offensive skill positions are obviously very good, but their QB room isn't.  And that's assuming that they're able to go up and get a QB in the draft.  Their IOL needs a bit of work, and their OTs are solid.  And then their defense just seems to be trending in the wrong direction.  Brian Flores can do good work with limited talent, but at a certain point that limited talent is going to come back to haunt them.  Going from Danielle Hunter to Jonathan Greenard might come back to haunt him if Grennard turns into a pumpkin after last year.

Minnesota can still play defense.  They're still ahead of the Bears even if Darnold is the disaster he's always been.  I wouldn't necessarily pencil Darnold in as the week 1 starter either.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

What makes you think Williams is walking into a better situation than Fields? Also, what makes you think he fares any better than Fields?  Chicago is still in the basement of the North.

Moore, Allen, Swift, Kmet, and a better defense?

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Moore, Allen, Swift, Kmet, and a better defense?

The defense isnt really any better than the one Fields walked into.  Swift isnt really any better than Montgomery.  Fields still stunk with Moore and Kmet.  So he's got Allen? I'll give you that.  I just don't see Williams succeeding with the Bears.  I also don't think Williams will be the best QB from this draft class so there is that.

11 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

Minnesota can still play defense.  They're still ahead of the Bears even if Darnold is the disaster he's always been.  I wouldn't necessarily pencil Darnold in as the week 1 starter either.

LIS, it'll be Brian Flores pulling a rabbit out of his behind.  Their best defender walked as a FA, and his replacement managed to more than double his sack total last year.  They were a middle of the pack defensive team last year.  And there's talk of them moving a large chunk of their picks to move up for a QB.

9 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

Who wins more games between the Vikings and Bears?

Bears. Better QB, better defense, and probably better weapons after respective #1s with JJ obviously being far and away the best.

50 minutes ago, Danger said:

This is going to be a rebuilding year for Minnesota. If they win more than 6 games I'd be shocked

Depends upon what they do at QB. Many said the same about Houston last year too. Just takes finding a QB, which is daunting. Can’t really think of a better situation for a rookie QB given the talent on offense and the fact that the Vikes aren’t really that bad of a team as their record indicates, especially if they end up in the top 5.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Danger said:

Bears. Better QB, better defense, and probably better weapons after respective #1s with JJ obviously being far and away the best.

Looking at current depth charts, I disagree.  The only thing you can argue in the Bears favor is a better QB and even that remains to be seen.  Vikings are also a better coached team.  I'd take that bet 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

Looking at current depth charts, I disagree.  The only thing you can argue in the Bears favor is a better QB and even that remains to be seen.  Vikings are also a better coached team.  I'd take that bet 

Swift > Jones

Keenan Allen > Addison

Kmet > Musgrave

All pretty comfortably at this point in their careers IMO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CasperX22 said:

The defense isnt really any better than the one Fields walked into.  Swift isnt really any better than Montgomery.  Fields still stunk with Moore and Kmet.  So he's got Allen? I'll give you that.  I just don't see Williams succeeding with the Bears.  I also don't think Williams will be the best QB from this draft class so there is that.

When Fields showed up the #1 WR was Darnell Mooney. Caleb has DJ Moore coming off a career year and Keenan Allen. The situation is obviously much better for him.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Danger said:

Swift > Jones

Keenan Allen > Addison

Kmet > Musgrave

All pretty comfortably at this point in their careers IMO

Swift is absolutely not better than Jones. It's not a stretch to think that Addison closes the gap on a 32 year old Allen either.

• Like 4