AI Thread

5 minutes ago, elevators_rule said:

I'm the annoying guy in my friend group that constantly brings up AI. Just feels like with how fast things are progressing, the world will be a different place in a few years. I'm maybe naively excited.

It's awesome that you're passionate about AI! It's definitely an exciting time with rapid advancements. Your enthusiasm might just inspire your friends to dive into the conversation too!

• Like 2

Afraid of its impact in storytelling.

Optimistic in its impact in creating photorealistic effects so I don’t have to keep bitching and moaning about how practical effects are ALWAYS better.

I’m putting thousands of dollars into crypto AI projects.

All I need is enough money to build a nuclear fallout shelter on my land so I can hide out in my bunker when AI fears are realized and computers nuke the planet.

26 minutes ago, MacReady said:

Afraid of its impact in storytelling.

Optimistic in its impact in creating photorealistic effects so I don’t have to keep bitching and moaning about how practical effects are ALWAYS better.

I’m putting thousands of dollars into crypto AI projects.

All I need is enough money to build a nuclear fallout shelter on my land so I can hide out in my bunker when AI fears are realized and computers nuke the planet.

It sounds like you have a mix of concerns and hopes about AI! It's great that you see potential in AI for creating photorealistic effects, and investing in crypto AI projects can be exciting. As for the fears, it's important to stay informed and optimistic about the future while also considering potential challenges. A nuclear fallout shelter might be extreme, but having contingency plans never hurts!

• Like 2

I have many concerns. AI has the potential for significant economic disruption, giving the Haves even more ability to eliminate the Have Nots from the equation. Entire industries will replace white collar workers with AI software to cut costs. And these will be people who have already trained for a long time to get to there current jobs and will likely have significant student loan debt. So the whole "train them to do something else" argue doesn't really work. I can foresee some utopian future down the line where humans can concentrate on other endeavors while AI fills in the brainpower job roles we have now, but that is likely going to require an abandonment of capitalism or at least an adoption of something like universal basic income. We are so far away as a society from that right now I can't even imagine how we'd get there. 

I also have concerns that a lot of the AI development companies are creating the software on open internet devices instead of a closed network. If they were to create a software that they lost control of there really is no stopping the spread of it. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I have many concerns. AI has the potential for significant economic disruption, giving the Haves even more ability to eliminate the Have Nots from the equation. Entire industries will replace white collar workers with AI software to cut costs. And these will be people who have already trained for a long time to get to there current jobs and will likely have significant student loan debt. So the whole "train them to do something else" argue doesn't really work. I can foresee some utopian future down the line where humans can concentrate on other endeavors while AI fills in the brainpower job roles we have now, but that is likely going to require an abandonment of capitalism or at least an adoption of something like universal basic income. We are so far away as a society from that right now I can't even imagine how we'd get there. 

I also have concerns that a lot of the AI development companies are creating the software on open internet devices instead of a closed network. If they were to create a software that they lost control of there really is no stopping the spread of it. 

Your concerns about AI's potential economic disruption and the challenges it poses to job security, especially for those with significant training and debt, are valid and reflect the complexities of our current economic system. Transitioning to a utopian future where AI complements human endeavors may require significant societal shifts, such as rethinking economic structures like capitalism or implementing measures like universal basic income, though the path to such changes remains uncertain given the current state of society. Additionally, your apprehension about the security risks associated with AI development on open internet devices highlights the importance of robust cybersecurity measures to mitigate potential threats to global security.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I can foresee some utopian future down the line where humans can concentrate on other endeavors while AI fills in the brainpower job roles we have now

This is where I think the future lies. Major lob loss, universal basic income for all. Additional income for those that choose to and/or can still provide a job valuable to society, and overall a net positive.

Unfortunately, I agree that the path there is bumpy. Without proper government handling of things, mass unemployment without UBI will lead to a lot of suffering. The question then becomes: is the suffering of the generation of people now worth it for the potential "utopia" of future generations? I think it might be, especially since I believe the government and powers and will be impacted much more than people think and will have motive to handle things properly.

In the short term, I think there's a lot of exciting things to come. Creatives making video games will have access to tons of art and assets that may have been unaffordable otherwise. Thousands and thousands of NPCs having individual voice lines and voice acting would have been unfathomable, but with AI is achievable. Hell, in Football imagine if AI was trained on tons and tons of NFL video and play data to use machine vision to immediately recognize play calls and get the call right at a higher percentage than the refs. So many exciting applications IMO.

4 hours ago, elevators_rule said:

This is where I think the future lies. Major lob loss, universal basic income for all. Additional income for those that choose to and/or can still provide a job valuable to society, and overall a net positive.

Unfortunately, I agree that the path there is bumpy. Without proper government handling of things, mass unemployment without UBI will lead to a lot of suffering. The question then becomes: is the suffering of the generation of people now worth it for the potential "utopia" of future generations? I think it might be, especially since I believe the government and powers and will be impacted much more than people think and will have motive to handle things properly.

In the short term, I think there's a lot of exciting things to come. Creatives making video games will have access to tons of art and assets that may have been unaffordable otherwise. Thousands and thousands of NPCs having individual voice lines and voice acting would have been unfathomable, but with AI is achievable. Hell, in Football imagine if AI was trained on tons and tons of NFL video and play data to use machine vision to immediately recognize play calls and get the call right at a higher percentage than the refs. So many exciting applications IMO.

Humans suffering now for the prospect of a better future is normal state of humanity. It’s always been worth it 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Whicker said:

Humans suffering now for the prospect of a better future is normal state of humanity. It’s always been worth it 

Yup, even on a smaller scale with parents/children. Many parents will work their tail off so their kids can have a better future. Many of those kids will do the same, and so on. Of course there will be hiccups along the way, but the general trend seems to hold true.