2024 Rookie Minicamp, OTA's & Training Camp

Leader

23 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Looking back, it was week 2 in a loud, hostile environment. Definitely a challenge for our young squad. They don’t get those mulligans this year but not surprising things unraveled in the 4th at that point. 

Up until late in that game, that young squad hadn't really encountered much adversity on the field either.

The end of the ATL game seemed to bleed into the NO game, too.

Anyways I know it seems like its no biggie, but hoping Love is good to go. 

Excited to watch some preseason football, woooo.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Refugee said:

He’s had some misses blocking.  I remember a QB sneak in a tough loss to ATL he definitely wasn’t on the same page as his QB.  Who’s fault was it? I don’t know but it looked bad for everyone. He has to be as close to perfect as possible blocking and I’ve seen some heat come through that sure looked like his assignment. I’ve also seen plenty of good, he can play. Cant have break downs as a rookie and has to be few and far between as a vet center. 

Thats silly. No other center lets some "heat come through"? He had 1 less penalty and 1 more sack than the almighty creed. 100% the instant pressures are a problem when he gets over his skis but even with those his number isnt abominable.

Thats as anecdotal as can be.

As a vet center? It was his 2nd full year starting. He came in as an upside dude who had some stuff to clean up and hes been cleaning up, hes still an ascending player. Yes i would also love if he was AllPro Josh Myers and theres plenty who became that after the path Josh is on.. but he doesnt need to be AP to be worthy of a re-sign.

Right now hes an average starting center. At best hes a guy who can drive block solo and can get out in space and really move. Thats not a combo a ton of centers have.

The guys that im beefing with are really the ones who are surprised he reprised his role this year, the Hermans of the world. If you want to go in a new direction after this year because you dont think his tech is getting better and hes not still ascending, fine. Theres just bugger fish to fry, especially with the contract hes going to require imo.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

He'll get one. Im so confident in that. Forget best 5 hes one of our best 3.

Guy doesnt get penalized and he doesnt give up a ton of sacks. I just dont understand the narrative.

Yep.  The "Myers needs to go" crowd is going to be disappointed when Myers more or less just keeps doing what he's been doing, and gets a nice extension with GB.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Thats silly. No other center lets some "heat come through"? He had 1 less penalty and 1 more sack than the almighty creed. 100% the instant pressures are a problem when he gets over his skis but even with those his number isnt abominable.

Thats as anecdotal as can be.

As a vet center? It was his 2nd full year starting. He came in as an upside dude who had some stuff to clean up and hes been cleaning up, hes still an ascending player. Yes i would also love if he was AllPro Josh Myers and theres plenty who became that after the path Josh is on.. but he doesnt need to be AP to be worthy of a re-sign.

Right now hes an average starting center. At best hes a guy who can drive block solo and can get out in space and really move. Thats not a combo a ton of centers have.

The guys that im beefing with are really the ones who are surprised he reprised his role this year, the Hermans of the world. If you want to go in a new direction after this year because you dont think his tech is getting better and hes not still ascending, fine. Theres just bugger fish to fry, especially with the contract hes going to require imo.

I see this is some kind of hill you have sworn to defend. Do you see that we are basically in agreement?

It was his 3rd year and he won the job but not without some question marks going in. You saying he’s an average starting center, I’m saying he might be even better than that but he has had some moments of inconsistency. I could find quotes from the coaches saying the same thing. He’s replacing Linsley who was awesome, hard to replace but that is the standard. That’s the caliber of player I want there. Myers has not lost the job but this is still a pretty critical year for him to determine if he’s our guy and if so, at what price. 

Edited by Refugee

51 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Yep.  The "Myers needs to go" crowd is going to be disappointed when Myers more or less just keeps doing what he's been doing, and gets a nice extension with GB.

Dude needs to improve though .. doing what he's doing is very mediocre.  He's still young, so maybe it comes together for him this year.  Seems like he whiffs a lot from my untrained eye .. PFF graded him at 55.8, 60.4 & 58.3 the past three years.  That's not good or extension worthy in my opinion.  You don't give extensions to mediocre performers.  Last mediocre lineman we let fly the coup was Jon Runyan Jr.  He graded out at 54.7, 62.6, 65.1, and 53.8.

• Like 1

I don't see Myers getting an extension. If he has a better year, his market will be higher than Packers want to pay. If he's mediocre again, they'll be looking for an upgrade. They traded up to draft Monk for a reason. In these preseason games, Monk and Rhyan will be auditioning to be the favorite to get the job next year. 

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Dude needs to improve though .. doing what he's doing is very mediocre.  He's still young, so maybe it comes together for him this year.  Seems like he whiffs a lot from my untrained eye .. PFF graded him at 55.8, 60.4 & 58.3 the past three years.  That's not good or extension worthy in my opinion.  You don't give extensions to mediocre performers.  Last mediocre lineman we let fly the coup was Jon Runyan Jr.  He graded out at 54.7, 62.6, 65.1, and 53.8.

Gtfo with pff ratings, they grade assignments not difficulty of task and dont know line calls. What does "a lot" mean, because still just 1 more sack than creed. I sknt think he does 1 a game. So like every 4th game someone beats hin clean when he oversets or takes a false step.

1 hour ago, Refugee said:

I see this is some kind of hill you have sworn to defend. Do you see that we are basically in agreement?

It was his 3rd year and he won the job but not without some question marks going in. You saying he’s an average starting center, I’m saying he might be even better than that but he has had some moments of inconsistency. I could find quotes from the coaches saying the same thing. He’s replacing Linsley who was awesome, hard to replace but that is the standard. That’s the caliber of player I want there. Myers has not lost the job but this is still a pretty critical year for him to determine if he’s our guy and if so, at what price. 

Oh for sure a hill im on. Just like the Walker is mid hill. Lolol. I got hurry up and wait **** going on so might as well have a little discussion while i twiddle my thumbs.

I do see we are basically agreeing, hence the final paragraph.

I just dont think there were any question marks coming in this year, he was the undoubted starter. All the other noise was a media narrative, the staff never hinted at replacing him, in fact they staunchly supported him. For sure the growth needs to continue just like a bunch of the 3rd-4th year guys. Hes got all the tools on the basket, theres nothing he cant physically do.

This is the convo i really think needs to be had. Linsley just cant be the standard, thats 1st team AP. We cant be saying "hey make all pro or probably no 2nd contract for you". The standard has to be "can you run matts offense, all the pulling and grinding that entails from the center. Make the line calls and be a leader of the line while limiting mistakes" If that answer is yes he should get a 2nd deal, and we consistently let him battle top DTs 1v1 so we definitely trust him to do his job.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

I don't see Myers getting an extension. If he has a better year, his market will be higher than Packers want to pay. If he's mediocre again, they'll be looking for an upgrade. They traded up to draft Monk for a reason. In these preseason games, Monk and Rhyan will be auditioning to be the favorite to get the job next year. 

If he has a BETTER year were going to let him go too? Wut? Elite center money is very manageable. (And 99% hes not gettingn tippy top cash) If by mediocre you mean average... and we know that below average exists and is very much something a rookie could give us? Yeah i dont see Rhyan/Monk on Myers level.

Edited by HighCalebR

This is old (8/8) and probably doesnt have any bearing on how the season will go...but it is interesting...

Ryan Wood -  With 2 more Wednesday, #Packers are up to 16 INTs in 12 camp practices. Six against Jordan Love.

Not bad for a defense that had only 7 all last season.

On the offseason effort to fix the secondary, and how Jeff Hafley is already making a difference.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Leader said:

This is old (8/8) and probably doesnt have any bearing on how the season will go...but it is interesting...

Ryan Wood -  With 2 more Wednesday, #Packers are up to 16 INTs in 12 camp practices. Six against Jordan Love.

Not bad for a defense that had only 7 all last season.

On the offseason effort to fix the secondary, and how Jeff Hafley is already making a difference.

I think Love has thrown 7 picks now, but the thought is that it's a combination of improve D and Love testing his limits with his wideouts.

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think Love has thrown 7 picks now, but the thought is that it's a combination of improve D and Love testing his limits with his wideouts.

Yeah id say good sign for the defense and Ill wait to be upset until it matters for love. Hes shown to be (mostly) careful with the ball.

On 8/9/2024 at 10:51 AM, Brat&Beer said:

This is the most realistic take I've seen of this discussion. I firmly believe the team could go either way with Myers at this point and, yes, it's performance based; but what does the draft look like for that position next year? Additionally, how quickly can/will Monk develop if he's the replacement. Bottom line: we're discussing a bland player playing a bland position who isn't a superstar, but also isn't a liability. Hate to say it, but this is an episode of the color "beige."

I think Myers is going to get the Runyan treatment. I think they will move someone else they have to center and maybe even look to the draft again. Myers is a good player, but I think the days of extending good players are coming to an end. Especially if Gute keeps drafting like he has.