2024 Rookie Minicamp, OTA's & Training Camp

Leader

9 minutes ago, squire12 said:

As of now, it appears that GB has " 1st world problems" in potentially needing to decide...

- which quality young OT should we try to retain

- which quality young WR(s) should we try to retain

Those decisions will sort themselves out over the next 12-18 months

Yep.  Having to disagree on which good young OL and WR's GB will be forced to let walk because there are just too many of them to pay is a good thing.

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

Yep.  Having to disagree on which good young OL and WR's GB will be forced to let walk because there are just too many of them to pay is a good thing.

Yeah.  I always chuckle at the concept that we can't pay them all while there are teams that don't have any/many worth signing.

I'm certainly in the camp of strongly considering trading 1 of Watson/Doubs and drafting a WR or 2 in the 2025 offseason

6 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Yeah.  I always chuckle at the concept that we can't pay them all while there are teams that don't have any/many worth signing.

I'm certainly in the camp of strongly considering trading 1 of Watson/Doubs and drafting a WR or 2 in the 2025 offseason

True, "OMG how do we afford all these good players we have?" is a problem like 70% of the league is not currently running into. 

12 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Pro-bowler...... 

You look at some of these guys at other positions being paid and tell me they are 'red chips.' 

This dude is one of the top linebackers in the league. 

Probowl alternate*

I get the idea behind wanting to trade one of the WR's, but the problems I have with that are

• I really don't want to weaken this core until it becomes a cap issue.  The SB window for this group is right now, and I want to give this group the next two seasons to bring home a SB trophy. 
  • If Love keeps distributing the ball the way he was last season (I hope he does) that will cap the perceived value of GB's WR's.  I would have no interest in trading any of them for less than something expected to be a top 75(ish) pick.  I'm not sure how many of GB's WR's will reach that kind of value on the trade market if GB keeps up with the WR of the week pattern.
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I get the idea behind wanting to trade one of the WR's, but the problems I have with that are

• I really don't want to weaken this core until it becomes a cap issue.  The SB window for this group is right now, and I want to give this group the next two seasons to bring home a SB trophy. 
  • If Love keeps distributing the ball the way he was last season (I hope he does) that will cap the perceived value of GB's WR's.  I would have no interest in trading any of them for less than something expected to be a top 75(ish) pick.  I'm not sure how many of GB's WR's will reach that kind of value on the trade market if GB keeps up with the WR of the week pattern.

That is a fair stance.

Is a 4th/5th in 2026 more valuable than a 3rd/4th in 2025?

At some point....Watson, Doubs, Reed, Wicks, Dubose, Melton, Heath might want a chance at more snaps to get the exposure for a potentially bigger payday.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

The only guy making top 5 money at their position right now that clearly doesnt deserve it is jalen ramsey. 

Jawuan Taylor?

Tremaine Edwards? 

Trevon Diggs? Lot of picks but he gets burned a whole lot. Interesting Jaire is at the top of the food chain. 

8 minutes ago, squire12 said:

That is a fair stance.

Is a 4th/5th in 2026 more valuable than a 3rd/4th in 2025?

At some point....Watson, Doubs, Reed, Wicks, Dubose, Melton, Heath might want a chance at more snaps to get the exposure for a potentially bigger payday.

Generally speaking, I'd rather maximize a SB caliber roster vs acquiring a day 3 pick a year earlier.  A day 2 pick at least makes you think about it.  I should qualify that by saying I'd be fine with dealing the 5-7 guys if there's a deal to be made.  It's the top 4 that I want to keep together through 2025.  For DuBose specifically, I am really curious how he looks in practice.  I feel like I have a decent handle on what GB has in Melton and Heath.  DuBose seems like more of a wild card.

I think the top 4 guys already understand that they won't all be signing 2nd contracts with GB.  It's going to get a little messy no matter how Gute handles it.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Tom will get paid, and he'll get paid sooner rather than later.  I'd imagine they'll start negotiating in earnest sometime later this year about a long-term contract extension.  As for Morgan/Walker, I think it depends on how Walker plays this year.  If he continues to improve, he's absolutely going to become a bigger priority.  You don't let legitimate starting tackles walk in FA.

I view it like Bakh/Spriggs.  Had Spriggs developed, maybe we don't pay Bakh.  

Agree on Tom.  

Sure would be a nice position to be in, having two quality LT's on the roster.  At the very least, one of them is going to be worth some compensation either via a trade or compensatory pick.

• Like 1

Jordan Love gets hit, and Matt LaFleur isn't happy

Broncos outside linebacker Nik Bonitto beat Rasheed Walker for a sack, which is fine. But Bonitto knocked Jordan Love‘s throwing arm as he released a pass, which is not. The quarterback's not supposed to be touched.

Packers coach Matt LaFleur had some words for Bonitto after the play, which ended in the pick of a popup pass by inside linebacker Alex Singleton — and a fight between players ensued.

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Yeah, that is not necessarily the case. Belichick said in the draft he was a LT. Not being great inside does not make him a bad tackle or a failure. 

Not sure that BB is the "go to guy" for draft evaluations.

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Rhyan's problem is commitment. Apparently, he came to camp out of shape again. Seems now that he is working himself into shape, he's playing better. Imagine that. 

I was a big Rhyan fan last year, but it's year 3 and he still isn't dedicated enough to prepare in the off season. I'll take what we can get out of him this year and next and let him walk. 

Rhyan's problem is that he could very well be not talented.  You read a lot and infer that he was out of shape because of the Cleveland game.  Nothing had been reported about him being overweight or out of shape prior to the game.  And now since he's snapped the ball a few times at center, he's playing better??

Guess we can agree that he either isn't prepared, isn't dedicated, or just plain isn't very good.  I'm not sure which one he is right now.  Either way, it's a shame that in year 3 he cannot lock down a spot.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Not sure that BB is the "go to guy" for draft evaluations.

Rhyan's problem is that he could very well be not talented.  You read a lot and infer that he was out of shape because of the Cleveland game.  Nothing had been reported about him being overweight or out of shape prior to the game.  And now since he's snapped the ball a few times at center, he's playing better??

Guess we can agree that he either isn't prepared, isn't dedicated, or just plain isn't very good.  I'm not sure which one he is right now.  Either way, it's a shame that in year 3 he cannot lock down a spot.

You're right, guys on this board are way more intelligent when it comes to evaluating offensive line talent than the guy who won 6 Super Bowls! What was I thinking! LOL

Also, his tenure in NE was filled with pro-bowl offensive lineman, so yeah, he probably is the guy to go to for draft evaluations. 

Quote on Sean Rhyan, also, can't find it but there were comments this year that Rhyan was, 'working himself into shape in camp!' 

“I think he’s in much better shape than he was a year ago. I think that’s pretty evident,” LaFleur said Thursday. “Hopefully, he can build on that and continue to learn and grow within our offense. It’s going to come down to his ability to go out there and compete and do it on a consistent basis.”