Alt or Odunze at 7?

deeluxx3

Alt or Odunze at 7?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Alt or Odunze at 7?

• Alt
    • Odunze

23 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Fashanu despite recent feelings, I think would be acceptable at 7. 

Acceptable is not what you want out of a top 7 pick though IMO.

I like Fashanu, and I really like Fashanu under Bill Callahan.  But could say the same about like three more tackles that we could get after trading down.

In a vacuum, is Fashanu worth the 7th overall pick?  In my mind, absolutely.  But there's a chance you could trade down, pick up like a third round pick, and still get Fashanu.  Or Fuaga.  Or Fautanu.  Or even Latham.  And then you have another Day 2 pick to spend on one of WR/ILB/DT/Edge.  That's worth more than the difference between Fashanu and the other guys IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Acceptable is not what you want out of a top 7 pick though IMO.

I like Fashanu, and I really like Fashanu under Bill Callahan.  But could say the same about like three more tackles that we could get after trading down.

In a vacuum, is Fashanu worth the 7th overall pick?  In my mind, absolutely.  But there's a chance you could trade down, pick up like a third round pick, and still get Fashanu.  Or Fuaga.  Or Fautanu.  Or even Latham.  And then you have another Day 2 pick to spend on one of WR/ILB/DT/Edge.  That's worth more than the difference between Fashanu and the other guys IMO.

Yeah, but I think his scenario was if there was no trade down option. What could we do?
1-6 picks are:
Daniels, Williams, Maye, Harrison Jr. Alt, Nabers. 

Nobody wants to trade and they need a tackle, everyone wants the tackle, what to do? 

I'd imagine they'd go Odunze or best defensive player, but if they had to take a tackle at 7 and no Alt, who'd be next?

If those are the picks, I'd be shocked if there weren't trade down options.  Someone would want McCarthy, or Turner, or whoever.  You may not get trade chart value to trade down, but I don't think there's ever a scenario where no team wants to trade up there, at all.

But, in the hypothetical where every team has literally no interest in trading down, I would probably take Fashanu.  I'd be really tempted to take Odunze, because I think he is a slightly better prospect than Fashanu, but the need at tackle is much, much greater, and the Round 2 WR options are better.

I heard a national guy put out the scenario that 1,2 & 3 are QB's, Monti at ARI trades back with MIN, then they trade back up with us to get the WR they want. This was obviously assuming ARI has MHJ, Nabers, and Rome as very similar and not MHJ way above the other two. His point was ARI needs a WR, but they need a ton more as well, so if they got 11 and 23 or whatever 2 1st rounders MIN has, they could come back up to 7 and have the choice between the 2 remaining WR's. I obviously don't think this would ever happen but the idea has merit. 

I hope Alt makes it to us and we just draft him, I would be on board for drafting a RT in the 2nd or 4th as well, but I have no desire to drop further  back than 11 or 12, the risk of the LT's being gone it too great if you drop back much further and we have to just fix that and by all accounts Alt fixes LT. 

9 minutes ago, Dr.Doom52 said:

I heard a national guy put out the scenario that 1,2 & 3 are QB's, Monti at ARI trades back with MIN, then they trade back up with us to get the WR they want. This was obviously assuming ARI has MHJ, Nabers, and Rome as very similar and not MHJ way above the other two. His point was ARI needs a WR, but they need a ton more as well, so if they got 11 and 23 or whatever 2 1st rounders MIN has, they could come back up to 7 and have the choice between the 2 remaining WR's. I obviously don't think this would ever happen but the idea has merit. 

I hope Alt makes it to us and we just draft him, I would be on board for drafting a RT in the 2nd or 4th as well, but I have no desire to drop further  back than 11 or 12, the risk of the LT's being gone it too great if you drop back much further and we have to just fix that and by all accounts Alt fixes LT. 

If we took both Norte Dame OT's I'd consider that a huge Win.  I like Blake Fisher later in the draft. 

• Like 2

I would hate to spend both premium picks on tackles. That just leaves us Day 3 picks to get a starting DT, a starting LB, any WR we’re going to get from this class, and any Edge and DB depth.

Not great.

Totally understand not wanting to spend top 2 on OL, I don't "want" to but I would accept it. Locking down the tackles(presumably) would set up for better offensive success for the next 4-5 years because we all know OL's need to play together to achieve the highest success. 2 rookie OT's, Skor(2nd year), Cush(new contract)...is a recipe for a top OL, and QB success. 

I personally want to add DL, Slot WR, or LB with #38...my only reason to consider LB is we would likely be drafting the "best" or at least first off the board, potentially plugging two holes with the top prospects at their position. Just not sure there is value at LB with #38...since we don't have a 3rd rounder the day one starters could be gone before we draft Saturday. 

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

To be clear I wasn't saying to use the first two picks on OL. 

Fisher I think can be a 4-5 round player. Unless some projections are wrong. 

He’s been going way earlier than that in literally every mock I have seen.

• Like 1

People always use this logic that old man Callahan can make any linemen good. I never understand why fans don’t have that same confidence with young Callahan and any WR? We hired him because we believed he has the ability to scheme and call an elite offense. I’d rather trust him to identify guys who he can develop in later rounds based on traits he likes outta his WRs. 

the sweet spot for WRs is 20-50 area anyways. It’s kinda like TE. Yea a great WR is valuable, but do I need to spend a top 10 pick to get a great WR? Recent draft history has overwhelmingly says no. Last year for all the righful hype of zay, JSN, and Jordan Addison. Tank dell and puka nukua proved to be as good or better than the first rounders.

Protect the passer, the rest will come. 

• Like 1

It's very bizarre to me to see so many people not wanting a blue chip LT, when every single GDT was littered with non-stop complaining about the O-line, LT the most obvious suspect. I am on of those people who was complaining every Sunday. We picked a WR in FA, we still have trash at the LT position. Give me Alt. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mesa_Titan said:

It's very bizarre to me to see so many people not wanting a blue chip LT, when every single GDT was littered with non-stop complaining about the O-line, LT the most obvious suspect. I am on of those people who was complaining every Sunday. We picked a WR in FA, we still have trash at the LT position. Give me Alt. 

Give me a trade down, Either Latham or Mims at T, javon baker at WR in the 2nd or 3rd round & I’ll be happy 

16 hours ago, Mesa_Titan said:

I'm of the belief that fans would rather have draft someone exciting. Linemen in back to back years for an offense with 0 star power is tough for fans to accept. Even if its the clear right move.  

My thing is this. some people think as many as 10 linemen could go round one. The Titans pick 38 in round 2. Lets say 7-8 tackles go in round one, the Titans are in a bad spot come round 2 because any team still looking for a tackle KNOWS they have to get in front of Tennessee to do so. The Titans can't afford to be in a situation where they have to trade up because the tackle pool is drying up. I firmly believe more tackles will be drafted in round one than WRs. I think the media hype machine has convinced fans otherwise. I also believe that the best value at WR will again be found where it usually is. between picks 15-40.

While Bill Callahan is extremely important to the rebuild of this offensive line, I still think fans greatly overrate him. They act like the job was done when we got him and all we gotta do is hand him bodies. 

Also IMO, if Ran has the opportunity to take the top linemen and they pass on that opportunity to take the 6th, 7th, 8th or lower option in round 2.... and that guy doesn't pan out immediately, That's damn near a fireable offense.