Atlanta/PHI tampering resolution announced, p.7

vike daddy

5 hours ago, El Ramster said:

This rule is so dumb. All teams have done this. The Rams did it egregiously with Stafford and Big Whit. Every single team does this. 

It still seems weird to me that a team would get in trouble if the Owner, GM, or HC wasn't involved in a scenario.  But was the player who has already verbally agreed to a contract calls the medical personnel and PR department.    Why wouldn't their also be a fine or penalty of some sort for the player reaching out and initiating contact with a team himself.   I could understand a severe penalty on a team if any of the  Owner, GM, HC, or head of player personnel.  Reached out to the player before he was signed or agreed to on a contract to try and persuade him.   But the player reaching out to lower tier medical groups or pr groups to see how a organization does things before he fully inks it on paper should be a common thing a player should be allowed to do i feel.   

Now if it comes out that our front office one of those big 4 i listed were recruiting him before legal tampering or doing crazy stuff before we even had a verbal agreement then 100% we deserve to be hit hard.   But from what was reported i just don't see how it's such a big issue for the player himself to talk to a medical guy or pr guy after a verbal agreement.  If anything they should be a good part of the blame for making the call in the 1st place too.

42 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:
Eagles will be awarded 2nd round pick for their 
Inconvenience of having an accusation thrown at them.

This would be my guess - lol

We aren't the 49ers, howie could brainwash Goodell tho

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

It still seems weird to me that a team would get in trouble if the Owner, GM, or HC wasn't involved in a scenario.  But was the player who has already verbally agreed to a contract calls the medical personnel and PR department.    Why wouldn't their also be a fine or penalty of some sort for the player reaching out and initiating contact with a team himself.   I could understand a severe penalty on a team if any of the  Owner, GM, HC, or head of player personnel.  Reached out to the player before he was signed or agreed to on a contract to try and persuade him.   But the player reaching out to lower tier medical groups or pr groups to see how a organization does things before he fully inks it on paper should be a common thing a player should be allowed to do i feel.   

Now if it comes out that our front office one of those big 4 i listed were recruiting him before legal tampering or doing crazy stuff before we even had a verbal agreement then 100% we deserve to be hit hard.   But from what was reported i just don't see how it's such a big issue for the player himself to talk to a medical guy or pr guy after a verbal agreement.  If anything they should be a good part of the blame for making the call in the 1st place too.

The league office can punish teams pretty freely, can only punish players within the confines of the CBA. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

The league office can punish teams pretty freely, can only punish players within the confines of the CBA. 

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/NFLPA/CBA2020/NFL-NFLPA_CBA_March_5_2020.pdf

To go even further than that, teams are prohibited from placing anti-tampering clauses in rookie contracts by the CBA:

ii) Without limitation on any other operation or interpretation of Section 3(c) of this Article (Other Permissible Terms), any Rookie Contracts executed on or after April 24, 2018 may not contain any individually negotiated provision that:

(D) prohibits a player from engaging in conduct that would constitute a viola-tion of the NFL Anti-Tampering Policy by any NFL Club; or

So the CBA doesn't say outright players can tamper, but when the only mention is that teams can't try to stop players from tampering contractually, tomato tomato.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Danger said:

My guess? Atlanta forfeits a 2nd round pick

Atlanta forfeiting a second round pick because they tampered to get a guy after they already had to spend a 1st round pick on the tampered guy's replacement would be so goddamn funny please let this happen.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/NFLPA/CBA2020/NFL-NFLPA_CBA_March_5_2020.pdf

To go even further than that, teams are prohibited from placing anti-tampering clauses in rookie contracts by the CBA:

So the CBA doesn't say outright players can tamper, but when the only mention is that teams can't try to stop players from tampering contractually, tomato tomato.

Players are friends in the offseason. So they can't force them to not tamper because they have no idea what players say to each other.

Atlanta forfeiting a second round pick because they tampered to get a guy after they already had to spend a 1st round pick on the tampered guy's replacement would be so goddamn funny please let this happen.

It's very unlikely the penalty would be that high. Day 3 pick, max. Fines, but I don't care about fines. Not my money.

Thats crazy to me that the player is completely free to do as he pleases when it comes to tampering stuff even if he is the one doing it and initiating it behind the front offices back lol.   Either that or once a contract is verbally agreed upon their should be some rules in place that allows the player to find out legit info on how teams work.  Like the the medical side of things the HR, the PR teams, charities etc...   That way they can fully make the decision once they decide to ink the contract.  

Either way if cousins talking to a medical or pr team about setting certain things up after he agreed to a contract verbally is illegal.  It really shouldn't be some crazy penalty if it's just that.  Thats not hardcore tampering while a player is on another team or something.  should be like a 4th or so at worst for something that minor although imo thats like a 6th or 7th type of thing.  Thats for any team doing that not just the Falcons i as a fan wouldn't think another team should get hit hard for something that dumb and minor.      Now if it's a front office talking to a player while still on another team before FA and persuading him then easily a 1st or 2nd for that imo.

6 hours ago, Danger said:

We aren't the 49ers, howie could brainwash Goodell tho

You would think with Rich Mckay Blanks right hand man for his entire run here almost + him being possibly the head of the nfl committee and possibly future commish after goodell.  Would give us some leeway but i think we usually get the short end when it comes to these things lol.

4 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

Thats crazy to me that the player is completely free to do as he pleases when it comes to tampering stuff even if he is the one doing it and initiating it behind the front offices back lol.   Either that or once a contract is verbally agreed upon their should be some rules in place that allows the player to find out legit info on how teams work.  Like the the medical side of things the HR, the PR teams, charities etc...   That way they can fully make the decision once they decide to ink the contract.  

Either way if cousins talking to a medical or pr team about setting certain things up after he agreed to a contract verbally is illegal.  It really shouldn't be some crazy penalty if it's just that.  Thats not hardcore tampering while a player is on another team or something.  should be like a 4th or so at worst for something that minor although imo thats like a 6th or 7th type of thing.  Thats for any team doing that not just the Falcons i as a fan wouldn't think another team should get hit hard for something that dumb and minor.      Now if it's a front office talking to a player while still on another team before FA and persuading him then easily a 1st or 2nd for that imo.

Like if it was the Saints that did something like this, I'd still think it's a 7th round infraction at most. 

1 minute ago, FalconFan13 said:

My general opinion is that tampering rules are stupid and the league should get rid of them, but the bolded is part of what agents are for. (Plus telling players where in a city to move, what the best schools are, etc.)

And yes, a 2nd round pick is probably Florio fanfic because the league does not want to have to start enforcing this because tampering rules are dumb, but if it happens get ready for it because there's gonna be a fresh wave of Penix/Cousins memes.

Just now, scar988 said:

Like if it was the Saints that did something like this, I'd still think it's a 7th round infraction at most. 

100% and i hate the Saints but if it was something like thats being listed.  If even the Saints got more than a 6th i would say the league did them dirty and they didn't deserve it.   But i don't know the full extent to what went down so it could warrant a much bigger penalty if we did something much worse than just that.