Atlanta/PHI tampering resolution announced, p.7

vike daddy

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

And yes, a 2nd round pick is probably Florio fanfic because the league does not want to have to start enforcing this because tampering rules are dumb, but if it happens get ready for it because there's gonna be a fresh wave of Penix/Cousins memes.

Florio is a Vikings fan who got pissy his QB left his team.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

My general opinion is that tampering rules are stupid and the league should get rid of them, but the bolded is part of what agents are for. (Plus telling players where in a city to move, what the best schools are, etc.)

And yes, a 2nd round pick is probably Florio fanfic because the league does not want to have to start enforcing this because tampering rules are dumb, but if it happens get ready for it because there's gonna be a fresh wave of Penix/Cousins memes.

Yeah you are right on that about the agents but even that is just dumb in general lol.  Why should anyone care if a agent or the player himself wants to talk to a medical team once the contract is verbally agreed too.   If i have legit medical issues i personally wouldn't want to leave it to someone else to find out how i need to handle my medical problems.  Thats really important info im personally going to be dealing with i want to know exactly what im going to end up doing.  That way i can ask repeated questions after they tell me something different than im use to hearing.  Instead of playing phone tag and possibly leaving out things.   Agents are fine for contract info and stuff but not for the other things and the nfl should do something about that. 

I'll also go on to say if we do get docked a 1st or 2nd next year.  I fully welcome those memes because at that point it would be absolutely brilliant we took a QB at 8 now.   Because if we draft much lower next year in the late teens to mid 20's  because of playoffs and we don't have the ammo to try and move up to get kirks replacement next year or the year after.   Then it's just gonna hurt us much worse than the #8 pick only would have costed this year on a QB.     Thats possibly the different of us giving 3 years worth of 1sts to move up for a lesser QB like the Panthers did hurting us til like 2027 or 28.   I'll gladly take a better QB prospect at #8 with 1 pick than do what the Panthers did for Young in a worse QB class which if we lose a high pick thats gonna make it much harder to do.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Yeah you are right on that about the agents but even that is just dumb in general lol.  Why should anyone care if a agent or the player himself wants to talk to a medical team once the contract is verbally agreed too.   If i have legit medical issues i personally wouldn't want to leave it to someone else to find out how i need to handle my medical problems.  Thats really important info im personally going to be dealing with i want to know exactly what im going to end up doing.  That way i can ask repeated questions after they tell me something different than im use to hearing.  Instead of playing phone tag and possibly leaving out things.   Agents are fine for contract info and stuff but not for the other things and the nfl should do something about that. 

I'll also go on to say if we do get docked a 1st or 2nd next year.  I fully welcome those memes because at that point it would be absolutely brilliant we took a QB at 8 now.   Because if we draft much lower next year in the late teens to mid 20's  because of playoffs and we don't have the ammo to try and move up to get kirks replacement next year or the year after.   Then it's just gonna hurt us much worse than the #8 pick only would have costed this year on a QB.     Thats possibly the different of us giving 3 years worth of 1sts to move up for a lesser QB like the Panthers did hurting us til like 2027 or 28.   I'll gladly take a better QB prospect at #8 with 1 pick than do what the Panthers did for Young in a worse QB class which if we lose a high pick thats gonna make it much harder to do.

I want to be on record that I never thought using #8 for a QB was a bad use of the pick.  Team weakness. Most important position on the team. Bringing in an aging quarterback. Not saying I liked (or disliked) the Penix pick, but I liked using it on a quarterback.

Sue me.

PIT drafted 99 interior offensive linemen. No one howled about that.

Edited by Techbert

Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2024 at 9:20 AM, aceinthehouse said:
Eagles will be awarded 2nd round pick for their 
Inconvenience of having an accusation thrown at them.

This would be my guess - lol

Had anyone else made this post Ace, I'd be all for it. Now I know it's not coming true.

I see what you've done there. 😎🍺

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

My general opinion is that tampering rules are stupid and the league should get rid of them

I'm pretty sure that the League is better off for not letting teams talk to star players under contract with bad teams and telling them "hey, you should demand a trade" or "you should absolutely not resign with that team, we will match anything they would offer."  Like having a player under contract with your team should offer some advantage in retaining him.

There's possibly some loosening of the rules that is in order, like if a team and an agent talk at the combine which is technically before the league year starts, that doesn't feel like a big deal but you definitely don't want tampering to occur like in week 8.

5 hours ago, Techbert said:

I want to be on record that I never thought using #8 for a QB was a bad use of the pick.  Team weakness. Most important position on the team. Bringing in an aging quarterback. Not saying I liked (or disliked) the Penix pick, but I liked using it on a quarterback.

Sue me.

PIT drafted 99 interior offensive linemen. No one howled about that.

Pittsburgh took a LT, a guard and a center. They needed a LT and a center to stabilize their OL. Fautanu will make Arthur Smith happy. Broderick Jones, the guards y'all have Seumalo and Daniels, and Frazier round out what should develop into a really good OL. Those picks definitely made sense.

22 hours ago, scar988 said:

Florio is a Vikings fan who got pissy his QB left his team.

I think Florio is a Steelers fan. He lives in West Virginia.

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I'm pretty sure that the League is better off for not letting teams talk to star players under contract with bad teams and telling them "hey, you should demand a trade" or "you should absolutely not resign with that team, we will match anything they would offer."  Like having a player under contract with your team should offer some advantage in retaining him.

There's possibly some loosening of the rules that is in order, like if a team and an agent talk at the combine which is technically before the league year starts, that doesn't feel like a big deal but you definitely don't want tampering to occur like in week 8.

There are good reasons for anti-tampering rules and they have to draw the timelines somewhere. It's not too much to ask for a player to wait the 48 hours from the negotiating period to the signing period to speak in person with his new team.

In European soccer, players can sign contracts with a new team in the last 6 months of their current contract. It sometimes causes problems if a team's player plays poorly vs his future team. 

12 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I'm pretty sure that the League is better off for not letting teams talk to star players under contract with bad teams and telling them "hey, you should demand a trade" or "you should absolutely not resign with that team, we will match anything they would offer."

This already happens all the time. That's not even conspiracy, even if you willfully ignore how small the agent pool is and the resulting club/player representation overlap or how few elite facilities there are, which funnel players together for offseason workouts, we have record of the Dolphins and Brady on a boat actively doing all of this.

Like having a player under contract with your team should offer some advantage in retaining him.

You'd have an entire 4/5 year rookie contract to physically deliver extension money that other teams couldn't, other teams would have to pay draft pick compensation still, and most of all moving sucks.

There are still plenty of advantages to re-signing versus signing. Which is why teams tend to be able to re-sign their best guys now even though the league tampers like crazy.

It's a completely unenforceable rule that's already being broken at will. Meh

• 2 weeks later...

I originally thought it was going to be a 6th because I thought it was just Cousins. But considering it was Cousins, Mooney and Woerner, the 5th makes sense. Even still, that's the appropriate penalty.

This is the most important part of it all:

"The violations are considered logistical/administrative, such as making travel arrangements after players agreed to terms, and did not involve contact prior to the negotiating window, per sources."

The Eagles have not been punished for potential tampering with running back Saquon Barkley.

The NFL issued the following statement on Thursday morning: “After a thorough review of the Philadelphia Eagles signing of Saquon Barkley, the NFL today informed the club that the investigation did not discover sufficient evidence to support a finding that the Anti-Tampering Policy was violated. In coming to this conclusion, the league reviewed phone logs, text messages and other documents related to Philadelphia’s free agency strategy and decision to sign Barkley. The NFL also interviewed several members of the organization, including Howie Roseman and Nick Sirianni, as well as Barkley and Penn State head coach James Franklin. As with every review, should new evidence be uncovered, the league may reopen the investigation.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/nfl-did-not-discover-sufficient-evidence-to-find-the-eagles-tampered-with-saquon-barkley

• Like 2