Denver Broncos 2024 Draft Thread

For me, the selection of Nix seemed inevitable, he seems to be Payton's guy. The issue I had is WHERE we picked him. If we got a chance to trade back to 22 and rec'd pick 53 along with it, would there be this type of uproar of the selection of Nix ? I doubt it. As I stated earlier, ATL picking Penix at 8 was what really screwed us over

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

Well, the pick was sort of what we expected, but still feels very meh. Local media apparatus is working extreme overtime to get fans excited about the pick. The draft room looked like a morgue outside of Payton. I think it's quite clear the preference was to trade back, but Payton (rightfully) didn't want to play that game and lose Nix.

Yeah, with the local media's reaction, Patrick Smyth should worry about his job security. With a media so fawning the Walmarts could save some money by eliminating the team PR department. I understand the Denver media wanting to create buzz as the Broncos with a "super computer" who "fits what Payton wants to the letter" at QB is good for business. Even Brock Bowers, whom I would have chosen, wouldn't have generated the listens, clicks, retweets, whatever, that a QB will. So from a business perspective I understand them pumping the pick. 

Nationally, things are not as rosy. Here is a quick run down of some grades I've seen around the web. 

NFL.com: C

Sporting News: B-

Bleacher Report: D

Yahoo: F

Fox Sports: B-

Walter Football: Millen Grade

Sports Illustrated: C

USA Today: C+

PFF: Below Average

CBS: C-

9 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

For me, the selection of Nix seemed inevitable, he seems to be Payton's guy. The issue I had is WHERE we picked him. If we got a chance to trade back to 22 and rec'd pick 53 along with it, would there be this type of uproar of the selection of Nix ? I doubt it. As I stated earlier, ATL picking Penix at 8 was what really screwed us over

5 trades were made in the first the highest pick exchanging hands was a 2025 3rd I don't think that value was there

1.12 feels high but if he’s an average to above average starter that’s a fine price to pay. 

McCarthy dropping to 1.10 and us not trading up does instill confidence that they had Nix as QB3.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Oh and Bo Nix will start from Day 1. You can put that it ink. Again, Sean doesn’t need this job. He has nothing to prove. He has no reason to waste time denying reps to a 24 year old rookie.

There's nothing to lose by starting him. One thing about Nix is that, as a 24 year old rookie with a lot of experience who is the son of a coach, the chances that he ends up mentally ruined after a few bad starts or some fanbase/media criticism are lower than most. But also, you don't ignore a roster full of needs and reach for a 2nd round talent at 12 to sit him on the bench. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

There's nothing to lose by starting him. One thing about Nix is that, as a 24 year old rookie with a lot of experience who is the son of a coach, the chances that he ends up mentally ruined after a few bad starts or some fanbase/media criticism. But also, you don't ignore a roster full of needs and reach for a 2nd round talent at 12 to sit him on the bench. 

Obviously SP didn't have Nix as a 2nd round talent as he didn't want to trade back and miss the opportunity to draft him. Not saying you're wrong, but I'd have been more comfortable with Nix at 22-24 range than 12 or waiting into the 2nd round. That said, getting a QB in place is like rebuilding a car, it ain't going nowhere until that motor is in place

Ok, I've slept on it and past my initial expectations and response. While not the direction I would have gone, Nix seems like a cerebral kid who handled protections, audibles, seems to read and understand defenses pretty well and has potential to be a good QB. Derek Carr and Dalton have been thrown around as a comp but I'm coming around to the idea of Brock Purdy as a ceiling (and thats a darn good QB). The lack of high end physical talent and what his offense asked him to do are what many of us are skeptical about him but if he can come in and at least be a stabilizing figure in our room that is going to be good progress for our team. If he can be our Alex Smith who can run our offense and give the rest of our roster an opportunity to improve in the next few years while on a cheap contract, that'll be a successful outcome imo. The mental processing and information retention could be elite for all we know and what we have no access to evaluate the way Sean et al. are able to so let's see what happens.

Again, I would have gone about this rebuild a little differently given the info we have but I don't think taking a chance on Nix changes things too much. We're still 2-3 years away from contending at minimum and Brock Bowers or Byron Murphy was not going to change that timeline. I would have loved a trade down but as others have mentioned it doesn't seem like there were suitors and if there were it doesn't seem like they were aggressive enough offers. I'm excited to see what Nix can do and hopefully we all look back at this thread and laugh at ourselves for doubting Sean and this decision. "Broncos Country, Lets... Go"

• Like 1

Just now, broncosfan_101 said:

The anti-Lynch/Lock.

Was it Lock that said it was his centers responsibility to call out the protections during his college career? Oof... That should have been telling right there. 

Im just excited that I don’t have to beat my head on the coffee table while screaming at the TV for Wilson to get rid of the damn ball to the WR that is clearly wide open! 
I’m sure my health will improve.

• Like 3

Man they’re trying hard to sell this pick with all the Mahomes comparisons.  

I didn’t listen to the entire press conference, so someone correct me if I am wrong, but listening to Payton/Paton it seems like they were locked in on taking a QB at #12.  By that I mean I didn’t get the vibe that Bo Nix was their guy all along, but they were going to take whichever of the 6 QBs that were still available.

It was a short excerpt, but Payton never mentioned Nix specifically, he always used “QB”.