2024 NFL draft Rd 1 GDT (No Spoilers!)

Forge

Indy may trade up for a receiver and Miami is “linked” to Worthy! Jeez they are all speed on offense, but the Def took a hit and late in the season too. Interesting philosophy Mike

19 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Wait what, Vaki as a RB prospect?! I know he played some, but wouldn’t he be a safety? There’s better RB prospects in the later draft. I can’t get behind that, too much head scratching for me. 

This is a perfectly sane concern. Dude even holds the ball in the wrong hand sometimes while carrying it. He's rough. And probably the best player I've watched in the draft for Christian's role that I've seen. So like, if teams didn't have him on the board at RB, I'd get it. But I think that the 9ers in particular are super into him because he does the two things they covet - houses well-blocked outside zones and can run a mean Texas route.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, StevenK said:

What? Disappointed in Staley, man I loved that draft! Got Willis and then traded up and got Staley, that was the icing on the cake for me - loved it! 

Yeah it turned out awesome. I was a lot younger and I remember reading that Staley was a project and a third rounder type. Was that Mcloughan? Guy was pretty damn good at drafting. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WhyAmIHere said:

Yeah it turned out awesome. I was a lot younger and I remember reading that Staley was a project and a third rounder type. Was that Mcloughan? Guy was pretty damn good at drafting. 

That draft class also included Ray McDonald, Dashon Goldson, and Terrell Brown.

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

I am out on Worthy and Mitchell. I sincerely hope we don't pick either. When has a small WR with a blazing 40 time that all of a sudden became a 1st rounder worked out? John Ross, Henry Ruggs, Tavon Austin, Marquis Goodwin - they all ran a sub 4.3, got immense helium during the draft season, and flopped in the NFL. I'm just not enamored with flashy 40 times anymore. 

With Mitchell, it sounds like he's a head case that have less than ideal effort and care. No thank you. 

I feel like we value the super speedsters in the 5th round or later.  We like to have one in camp, but we never spend assets on it.  

The only guy I can recall working out actually fell out of the 1st round unexpectedly.....Desean Jackson.

I don't think Pure speed has a ton of value on the team with how we are constructed.   

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, StevenK said:

What? Disappointed in Staley, man I loved that draft! Got Willis and then traded up and got Staley, that was the icing on the cake for me - loved it! 

I was guardedly optimistic about it when it heppened.  The surprise was exciting, and I thought it was a bet on how good the team was going to be in 2007.

2007 ended up being a super disappointment, lost Norv Turner late in the process, Alex played like crap, got hurt, then played even worse.  Then the following year, we did not have a top ten pick.  I was not as happy with the trade draft day 08.

Each year Staley played and got better I felt better about the pick.  Basically, we got Staley instead of Ryan Clady, and we got him a year early.  Even though the bet on the 49ers to not suck in 07 didn't pay off, the bet that Staley would develop into a pro bowl player did pay off, and that made the trade worth it in the long run.

Looking at it now, the back of the 1st in 07 has better players than the top of 08.  

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Interesting! I imagine the Giants would have to make it enticing. I thought the Pats were interested in Maye themselves, let the poker faces start! 

I would say throw in Danny Dimes, but I think his cap hit is insane! Plus doubt the Pats want him. 

Tom Pelissero surprise first round picks: 

Keon Coleman

Junior Coulson (Solak mentioned him as a first round possibility as well, specifically to Dallas)

Kingsley Suamataia

Xavier Legette 

Traded back from 31 to 42 for a extra 3rd.

42.Ruke Orhorhoro DT Clemson

63.Mike Sainristil CB Michigan

86.Blake Fisher OT Notre Dame

94.Javon Baker WR UCF

124.Mason McCormick

OG South Dakota State

132.Theo Johnson TE Penn State

135. Jonah Ellis Edge Utah

176. Sione Vaki RB/S Utah

211. Myles Harden CB South Dakota 

215. Ryan Flournoy WR Missouri State 

251. Prince Pines OG Tulane 

Thoughts???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevenK said:

Indy may trade up for a receiver and Miami is “linked” to Worthy! Jeez they are all speed on offense, but the Def took a hit and late in the season too. Interesting philosophy Mike

The Indy thing is noteworthy because while I don't think Aiyuk is getting traded during this draft, this really shows that the Colts wants a weapon and if it fails getting one of those big guys, a pick at 15 could be insanely tempting for the niners if the Colts turn that direction. Given that DJ insinuated they were options yesterday, I think it's interesting. 

29 minutes ago, DTMW78 said:

Traded back from 31 to 42 for a extra 3rd.

42.Ruke Orhorhoro DT Clemson

63.Mike Sainristil CB Michigan

86.Blake Fisher OT Notre Dame

94.Javon Baker WR UCF

124.Mason McCormick

OG South Dakota State

132.Theo Johnson TE Penn State

135. Jonah Ellis Edge Utah

176. Sione Vaki RB/S Utah

211. Myles Harden CB South Dakota 

215. Ryan Flournoy WR Missouri State 

251. Prince Pines OG Tulane 

Thoughts???

Don't think that we would make that many picks, but you pretty much covered it all well. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Only thing that matters with Elliss....I see that 3 cone and am like

You Son Of A Bitch I Am In Im In GIF - You Son Of A Bitch I Am In You Son  Of A Bitch I Am In - Discover & Share GIFs

All I saw of him was a small guy that was really good at using his hands to go around and not through people. Showed up at near 250, which was 15 pounds heavier than I thought his playing weight was, but he didn’t test at that new weight. 

• Like 1

• Forge changed the title to 2024 NFL draft Rd 1 GDT (No Spoilers!)
  • GW21 locked this topic
  • GW21 unpinned and unlocked this topic