2024 Draft: Day #1, Round #1

Tonight is the night. The first round is expected to be wild due to the number of teams seeking to trade up for a QB. Most mock drafts have 4 or 5 QBs going in the top half of the round. In general, the premium positions--QB, WR, Edge, OT, CB-- account for about 25 picks.

The consensus of mock drafts has the Chiefs taking a WR at #32. Unlike most years, the Chiefs are not expected to trade up for a position of need. More likely is taking BPA from among WR, OT, DL. My current best guess is DE/DT Darius Robinson with OT Kingsley Suamataia a close second. Also in the mix is a spread of WRs--Keon Coleman, Ladd McConkey, Adonai Mitchell, Xavier Worthy. Of that group, I am in the pick-a-lineman position.

Trading back would be ideal but it does not follow team tendencies and there is little interest from other teams. That could change in the heat. 

First pick is around 7:00 CDT. The Chiefs ought to pick around 11:00 PM. 

I think OT is likely, but I don't think Kingsley is the guy. He's just too raw, imho, to be a fit for us. Unless someone like Mims slide, I think Guyton or even Paul are the likeliest. Maybe Morgan.

WR is option #2 with Franklin/Ladd/Adonai I think.

CB/DL are more unlikely but certainly possible if the board falls this way. 

Definitely think, if our FO isn't liking the OT options at #32, that we will look to trade down, but will they be able to is another question.

Edited by TedLavie

25 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

Paul are the likeliest. Maybe Morgan

Paul isn’t worth 32, and Morgan is probably more suited to play guard in the NFL. If we take a tackle I really hope it’s only if someone falls. I could get in board with Kingsley to challenge Morris and learn.  I think by the end of the season he’s the starter at LT.

I don’t know why but that top 30 visit with Leggette is just sticking in my mind. There’s something there. I’d put money on him not making it to 64, simply because we brought him in.

I’m guessing he’s more of a trade back option but I just feel some sort of way about him today.

11 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I don’t know why but that top 30 visit with Leggette is just sticking in my mind. There’s something there. I’d put money on him not making it to 64, simply because we brought him in.

I’m guessing he’s more of a trade back option but I just feel some sort of way about him today.

My gut instinct, day of the draft, is we trade up for a LT or we stay put and take Legette.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

My gut instinct, day of the draft, is we trade up for a LT or we stay put and take Legette.

I think Leggette or McConkey are the play depending on the LT situation. If a big name DT or CB fell I could see it too. I don’t think we should trade up, and I’ve given my reasons, aside from the fact every team will make us over pay.

I could see Reid looking at McConkey and seeing some Maclin…and we know how Ol’ Red loved him.

And I'll go with, I feel, we'll try everything to trade up a bit and snag a faller. I'm guessing tackle but if not then we sit tight and take the highest rated WR on the board. 

But just because I like to be wrong ill go with one of the Xavier's or, maybe, Mitchell

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, TedLavie said:

I think OT is likely, but I don't think Kingsley is the guy. He's just too raw, imho, to be a fit for us. Unless someone like Mims slide, I think Guyton or even Paul are the likeliest. Maybe Morgan.

WR is option #2 with Franklin/Ladd/Adonai I think.

CB/DL are more unlikely but certainly possible if the board falls this way. 

Definitely think, if our FO isn't liking the OT options at #32, that we will look to trade down, but will they be able to is another question.

Raw upside is a Veach trademark.

Franklin/Ladd/Adonai hold nose and take Adonai

Veach has only traded down once and it may have been linked to getting McDuffie. 

This is another draft where I wish we could trade #32 and #64 for #45 and #49.

Edited by onejayhawk

I miss the draft when it was much simpler. This over produced stuff gets old quick. I don't care what anyone wears to the thing, what kind of chain/suit/shoes...just talk about the players pros/cons and maybe some highlights n back story

Edited by Chiefs_5627

2 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

I miss the draft when it was much simpler. This over produced stuff gets old quick. I don't care what anyone wears to the thing, what kind of chain/suit/shoes...just talk about the players pros/cons and maybe some highlights n back story

Yeah, I could care less about your taking a Leek chain from Jacob the Jeweler

• Like 1