2024 Draft: Day #1, Round #1

2 hours ago, KCsb said:

Coming in late in the discussion, but after watching tape I think there were a lot of passes thrown that forced him to adjust to make the catch.  Very few thrown into the chest area in stride.  I think Mahomes will place the ball much better, allowing Xavier to use his speed extend plays.

Oh yeah for sure, Ewers is trash and that's the actual upside for Worthy. Having a QB with the ability to use his long speed can be a game changer the number of throws were him (or Mitchell for that matter) are open and aren't complete is bad. I also think, as you and others said, that ball placement didn't help him.

I also think that he's not going to run past defenders like he did he college in the NFL. Defenses are too good individually and schematically. So he's going to need to find ways to win besides that, through route running - which I found inconsistent in college, but it's not abnormal for a 20 year old - and YAC. He definitely has YAC ability, but with Rice and, this year at least, Brown in the team, will he have the opportunities at least year 1.

I also wonder how he will fare against press in the NFL honestly, though I'm sure Andy will find opportunities to scheme against it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RedGold said:

He’s below average with pure hand catching,   I would have said that before we drafted him and even after watching the video you posted yesterday.    If you get him in positions he can cradle it in,  he’s more than okay.       I’m probably done speaking on it though, cuz it makes it seem like I hate the pick… and I don’t.  But not going to act like there weren’t concerns. 

I mean but he’s getting open and he’s catching it consistently when it hits him. Outside of Rice our offense was missing that key element last year. The only reason body catches aren’t good is if a defender is on your hip he can slap it away, but Mahomes doesn’t throw contested catches so🤷‍♂️

I mean i get where you’re coming from don’t get me wrong. Do i wish he caught every pass with arms reaching out? Sure. But these small speed demons aren’t hands catchers, they are so fast they don’t have to be. As long as he’s not outright dropping it all the time the. I don’t see the concern I guess.

Edited by Chiefer

10 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

I mean but he’s getting open and he’s catching it consistently when it hits him. Outside of Rice our offense was missing that key element last year. The only reason body catches aren’t good is if a defender is on your hip he can slap it away, but Mahomes doesn’t throw contested catches so🤷‍♂️

Like the kid gets wide open, if that speed is legit that will continue. And he’ll have plenty of opportunity to cradle that ball in.

That’s fine.  I’ve never said I disliked the pick.    I’m just stating the concerns I had with him, and I think the concerns are legit.     Do I think he can still improve,  yup.   Do I think Reid will put him in spots to succeed early,  yup.  

1 minute ago, kingseanjohn said:

Kingsley Suamataia.... Just read a couple scouting reports. Sounds like a potential swing OT. I still think Morris or Tega Wanogho earn the start; assuming Smith isn't back.

Wrong round.

Suamataia is potentially Pro-Bowl but not right away. Great upside but a project.