1.10 - JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan - #9

I wonder if he's talking about the total bonus and not specifically the signing bonus, because generally the signing bonus is paid up front, because it's a bonus for signing...then there are roster bonuses, which don't happen in Year 1, but are paid out in later years.  If he wants all bonuses paid out upfront, that's probably not going to be acceptable.  This video talks about the rookie contracts and when bonuses are paid out are one of the few ways he has any leverage.

KOC: "He's had a great spring. He's off to a really good start transitioning into a new offense with a bunch of new teammates and new players. He gets a ton of work throughout routes on air and even in 7-on-7 drills where we were going full speed on all that stuff with some of the first group throughout the spring."

So, JJ's gotten a good acclimation to what our offense is really all about. He's starting to show some ownership of it, and he's growing every single day."

https://thevikingage.com/posts/minnesota-vikings-reveal-major-steps-jj-mccarthy-taken-otas

• Like 2

20 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Nor do I see any news outlet carrying this development, broken first by "prettyrickey."

A review of Rickey's tweets also shows that during the draft he learned the Patriots were going to trade down or draft McCarthy.

So... The source seems unreliable.

He actually hit on quite a few before Rapoport reported it. Tyler Boyd to Tennessee, OBJ to Miami, JJ's extension. 

But it seems like Pretty Rickey is the only one to report this as this time.

On 6/10/2024 at 8:53 PM, SteelKing728 said:

Very encouraging news!

I've got to say I really hope McCarthy sits the whole year. He's young, hungry and in an excellent spot to learn and grow.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

oh, i hope he plays some. gotta get those real game reps.

I think making him sit plays into his mentally.

He's a competitor and leaving him chomping at the bit all season will only fuel his drive to get better and earn the teams loyalty and respect.

Bulk up

Master the playbook

learn the ropes at the facility

dominate in 2025

• Like 3

KOC: "I got to know J.J. really well pre-draft and said, 'Hey, where are the areas he's most comfortable, and where are the areas we want to make sure he feels challenged on a daily basis?' It's gotta be the perfect combination of really challenging him, exposing him to some of the difficulties that will be out in front of him that he can then identify and go attack, while also making sure we're maintaining confidence in a player that has a lot of it – and rightly so. It's a good balance of both, knowing that it's still just May and June, as we work through the end of this offseason program, and we're going to have a competitive training camp."

"But we do have a plan for J.J. – a long-term plan. We see him as our quarterback of the future, and when that ultimately starts with him taking game reps under center will really be about that process of getting there and demonstrating that he's got total comfort in the system. So then, the natural learning environment that is playing quarterback in the NFL, we want to make sure it's the right time and J.J. feels 100-percent confident that he cannot only go in and have success but then also, when adversity does hit, is he attacking it right way from a foundation that hopefully we've built up over a long time?"

https://www.vikings.com/news/jj-mccarthy-sam-darnold-kevin-o-connell-quarterback-plans

• Like 2

Hopefully he plays as well as he interviews, the interviews are damn impressive.  There seems to be a solid connection between QB, backup QB, head coach, assistant coaches and general management.  At this point he seems like the perfect developmental QB, just depends on his progression and development, hopefully he gets time to learn and is not forced to be the starter too soon.  

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Hopefully he plays as well as he interviews, the interviews are damn impressive.  There seems to be a solid connection between QB, backup QB, head coach, assistant coaches and general management.  At this point he seems like the perfect developmental QB, just depends on his progression and development, hopefully he gets time to learn and is not forced to be the starter too soon.  

excellent and fair synopsis, thank you.

15 hours ago, vike daddy said:

oh, i hope he plays some. gotta get those real game reps.

I'd love for us to be in a position in week 18 where we can treat it like a preseason game and give the majority of the starters some rest before the playoffs.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'd love for us to be in a position in week 18 where we can treat it like a preseason game and give the majority of the starters some rest before the playoffs.

I expect at least one blowout earlier in the season where he'll get some mop-up time. 

• Like 1