1.10 - JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan - #9

57 minutes ago, Sad People said:

Curious how long he would have to be off it? Basically what im wondering is if he can get back atleast practicing somewhat and get some reps in even if it means he still wont play.

Generally the repair route means staying off of it for a month plus, then rehab for 4-5 months.

the remove route is immediate rehab but his knee will always be less than 100% going forward.

• Like 1

For reference, Lonzo Ball tore his meniscus, didn’t fix it the right way, had 3 separate surgeries and a new meniscus from a donor, and has now missed 2.5 years in the prime of his career.

Just take the most conservative route and do it right the first time.

• Like 4

It is what it is and all Viking staff and coaches (and hopefully fans) will move on and adapt.

we have Darnold and he was penciled in to be the team's first starter anyway, so that doesn't change. at least we have that plan in place and we're not scrambling now to find that QB1.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

For reference, Lonzo Ball tore his meniscus, didn’t fix it the right way, had 3 separate surgeries and a new meniscus from a donor, and has now missed 2.5 years in the prime of his career.

Just take the most conservative route and do it right the first time.

The type of surgery depends on the tear not what someone wants. If the tear requires a repair that's what they do if it doesn't require a repair, they do a trim. It's not about doing the right thing it's about the type of damage. 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Generally the repair route means staying off of it for a month plus, then rehab for 4-5 months.

the remove route is immediate rehab but his knee will always be less than 100% going forward.

Can he practice or take some sort of live reps during the rehab portion? If i were to guess id say no but any sort of reps are huge for him.

IIRC, Irv Smith tore his meniscus and missed the entire year didnt he? Which led to Rick trading like a 4th for Chris Herndon or something.

AP tore his as well and missed a decent chunk of time too didnt he? But he came back the same year.

With that said i dont remember the route either of those 2 players took surgery wise.

9 minutes ago, Sad People said:

Can he practice or take some sort of live reps during the rehab portion? If i were to guess id say no but any sort of reps are huge for him.

IIRC, Irv Smith tore his meniscus and missed the entire year didnt he? Which led to Rick trading like a 4th for Chris Herndon or something.

AP tore his as well and missed a decent chunk of time too didnt he? But he came back the same year.

With that said i dont remember the route either of those 2 players took surgery wise.

Yes, Irv had the meniscus repaired and missed the season.

as @jofos stated above, the nature of the tear dictates the type of surgery he’ll have, which is true most of the time, although I’ve heard athletes from previous decades, most of the time veterans, say that they’ve opted to have removal procedure in an effort to get back sooner.

I highly doubt he’d be getting practice reps in a heavy rehab scenario. There’s no way to do that safely, nor would it be productive for the rest of the team.

• Like 1

O'Connell: "It has been determined that J.J. does have a tear in his meniscus, in his right knee. He will need to undergo a procedure, obviously that will hopefully take place in the near future here. But as far as a timeline on the injury, that will be determined during the procedure, based upon whether it can just be a cleanup or potentially a repair. That won't be able to be determined until that procedure takes place. I would just be speculating on a timeline for a return at this point."

"Credit [Vice President of Player Health and Performance] Tyler Williams and his staff for, once J.J. did come in yesterday, going through a real thorough process and identifying what was going on." 

O'Connell stressed that McCarthy's long-term health will be made a priority and that he has "total, complete trust" in the Vikings medical team.

https://www.vikings.com/news/j-j-mccarthy-meniscus-injury-surgery

Asked whether the team will need to add another quarterback to the fold, O'Connell said it has yet to be determined:

"We're gonna take a look at it. We'll obviously have Sam, Nick  and Jaren ready to roll, and as we move forward, based upon plans for either practice or the preseason games, that might be something we need to do, but at this time we're not there yet."

vikings.com

Well that sucks JJ McCarthy got hurt, would have been fun to watch him these next two preseason games that is for sure.

Is good in the fact at least it should probably keep him from starting at least until after the bye week this year.  Sucky part is they have to keep Nick Mullens around now, doubt Hall beats him out honestly but at least they have a vet like Mullens.  If McCarthy was healthy though honestly I thought they should only keep two QBs on the active roster, but now they almost have to keep 3 on the active roster.

• Like 3