1.10 - JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan - #9

13 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'd be surprised if KOC and Kwesi got extensions that matched McCarthy's rookie contract.  The injury probably guarantees that they get at least one, if not 2 years beyond this season.

Just thinking out loud here...

2024: Year 1 (Year 3 KAM/KOC)
2025: Year 2 (Year 4 KAM/KOC)
2026: Year 3
2027: Year 4
2028: 5th year option

It is unlikely, but possible, the Wilf's opt to let both KAM/KOC coach the final year of their contracts without an extension in place. A 4-year extension, matching JJ's rookie contract, makes sense on paper (IMO) even though it may be unlikely. In the unfortunate event that the KAM/KOC/JJ tri-fecta doesn't pan out you could cut bait with KAM/KOC after the 2027 season.

As @SemperFeist mentioned previously the Wilf's have certainly been pretty patient with staffing changes. This is probably the most optimistic I've been about the Vikings long-term future in a long time. 

It all rests on #9's shoulders!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Just thinking out loud here...

2024: Year 1 (Year 3 KAM/KOC)
2025: Year 2 (Year 4 KAM/KOC)
2026: Year 3
2027: Year 4
2028: 5th year option

It is unlikely, but possible, the Wilf's opt to let both KAM/KOC coach the final year of their contracts without an extension in place. A 4-year extension, matching JJ's rookie contract, makes sense on paper (IMO) even though it may be unlikely. In the unfortunate event that the KAM/KOC/JJ tri-fecta doesn't pan out you could cut bait with KAM/KOC after the 2027 season.

As @SemperFeist mentioned previously the Wilf's have certainly been pretty patient with staffing changes. This is probably the most optimistic I've been about the Vikings long-term future in a long time. 

It all rests on #9's shoulders!

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong (and I probably am, since I don't follow the Vikings super closely).  KOC has 2 years on his contract remaining including this year.  Figure this year is a wash with McCarthy's injury, so it leaves 1 year with KOC under contract.  I can't imagine that the Vikings (or most franchises) have interest on letting their HC coach as a lame duck so I think 1 year extension makes sense.  Could KOC/Kwesi leverage it into a multi-year extension?  Sure, but I'm not sure Kevin O'Connell (and by extension Kwesi) have that kind of leverage especially if the Vikings aren't good this year.  I think the Vikings would have to overachieve in order to secure a multi-year contract.  If the Vikings win 7+ games, I could see a multi-year contract but if it's 6 or less, a 1 year extension makes sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Have we ever seen a coach or GM be given a 1 year extension? 

It's a little outdated, but Coughlin I believe got a 1 year extension at one point with the Giants.

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

It's a little outdated, but Coughlin I believe got a 1 year extension at one point with the Giants.

Didn't Mike Tomlin sign a 1 year extension prior to this last extension? I can't remember, but it's not common to see. 

If the Vikings make the playoffs this year, which I'm not super confident of that happening, then our coach and GM are locked in for extensions.

KAM and KOC will get extensions. Especially KOC. The Wilfs last extended Zimmer and Spielman in their last years and in my mind, KOC and JJ are tied at the hip. JJ has totally bought into KOC's philosophy and the inverse is also true. To hinder JJ's development in any way by getting rid of KOC would be the literal dumbest thing the Wilfs could do. I really like Kwesi, but it is much more likely he won't get resigned than O'Connell. The results, although very early on, absolutely speak for themselves in regards to McCarthey's progress. 

Getting rid of Kevin O'Connell would be one of the most catastrophic things this franchise has ever done. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cconocool said:

If a rookie is injured before the season starts, are they eligible for ROY the next season? Like in basketball?

Don't worry he's just going to win MVP next year...

• Like 1

Yes, Vikings quarterback J.J. McCarthy is done for the year. His placement on injured reserve today, 11 days before the deadline for cutting the roster down to 53 players, clinches that he won’t — and can’t — come back.

Although the rules were tweaked this year to allow teams to place two players on IR and bring them back before the reduction of the roster to 53, the moves must be made on the day that rosters are cut to 53.

Making the move today prevents McCarthy from returning at all in 2024.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/vikings-confirm-j-j-mccarthy-will-not-be-back-in-2024

Jim Harbaugh called JJ McCarthy after his season-ending injury.

Harbaugh:  “I know how the story’s gonna end with JJ, I’ve seen this movie before. There’s nothing that can keep him down. It’s not gonna be life-altering. Bump in the road.”

Brad Galli, WXYZ.com

• Like 1

O’Connell:  “Nobody is more bummed out about J.J.’s situation than J.J. himself, just because he loves being with his teammates, We’re going to get him back with the group as quickly as possible. It’ll be great to get home and see him post-op. I’m sure he’ll be at the facility day and night already, in meetings and everything. We’re going to really try to craft a plan for J.J. that allows him to not miss a beat from mental preparation and the standpoint of going through game plans throughout the season. Really starting to envision what that looks like for him as he kind of watches Sam go about it in year one of the system as well.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/kevin-oconnell-the-players-are-pretty-confident-in-sam-darnold

• Like 1