2024 NFL Draft Thread

textaz03

Flournoy.. lol what did I say @plan9misfit?

They needed to add a physical receiver to really complete their trend of building to beat the Niners.

It's a good pick too. One of the few non fbs players at the senior bowl and he still handled himself well. 4.4 speed so is also a vertical route guy with the physical style able to beat the press and the speed to separate fast after shaking off the press. The kind of guy you would prefer not to press  .

Obviously more of a work in progress kind of guy. But his physical play and toughness, as well as the speed and reliable hands even in traffic are terrific traits to work with and build on ... And the exact kind of guy you want complimenting Lamb on the other side. Based on his traits alone he could have gone in the 3rd or 4th in a draft class with fewer talents at WR. 

Good pick this late. And a perfect fit for the trend they are setting in this draft.

13 minutes ago, Northland said:

Flournoy is a good pick at this point in the draft.

Very good pick. If the draft didn't have as many luxury prospects at WR as it does this year, this kid could have been a third round selection.

Prototype size,with a good frame .. 4.44 speed and plays very physical. Great at beating the press and has the speed to separate after beating it. Another guy added that helps create a better matchup against SF in the playoffs and continues the trend of adding physical players as theyve done all weekend 

4 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

More o-line with our first 7th round pick.

Just read that his future may be at guard.  He's a physical run blocker.  Needs work on his footwork in pass blocking.  Speed gives him some challenges in pass protection.

Erik Williams redux:

Nathan Thomas is a huge, long masher at OT. He wants to get into EDGEs and demolish them. Mostly a quick setter, and at times, those aggressive sets get him into trouble with balance against smart EDGE rushers, but the assertiveness typically leads to a win. He wants to pulverize on down blocks and has a quality anchor. Serious NFL-caliber size, length and width at the point of attack. While not a freaky athlete by any stretch, he demonstrated good depth in his traditional kick slide, and it's not overly stiff or clunky. A bit susceptible to counters because he's not a tremendous athlete, although he fires off the ball in a hurry. His burst is better than his overall footspeed throughout the play. For teams who want to add sheer power/force and nastiness, this is an OT for them.

With 7 rounds down and no picks left and no RB’s selected at a big need, the Boys are going to sign every UDFA RB there is  and gonna hold open tryouts for RB1. May the best man win.

😂😂😂😂

Smfh

2 minutes ago, Northland said:

Just read that his future may be at guard.  He's a physical run blocker.  Needs work on his footwork in pass blocking.  Speed gives him some challenges in pass protection.

He has the footwork for tackle. I could see where you would want to use his straight ahead, quick pop off the snap inside at guard. He would probably be faster off the snap than anyone on our line besides Beebe ... And paired with Beebe together they could be very good and beating the defense and opening holes quickly.

But since he has the footwork and foot speed to protect against edge rushers, he's stil a viable candidate to compete at RT.

I think this pick allows them to be smarter with who they dress for game time. Having a player capable of playing OT and OG makes it much easier to carry 7 or so linemen to the game.

I don't really see him as a true starter even in time. But he's not a wash over either. He could have a very long career as a spot player.and backup who may get some starting time with injuries or on weak depth charts.

a smart pick considering he can play either spot on the right side. And you know what ... If he does develop into a starting level player he could show enough in time to take over for Martin via retirement or Steele via contract. I don't think he will be a higher end starter by any means, but certainly could become one. I just see him more as a solid long term carry as a back up.

1 minute ago, Dallas94Ware said:

He has the footwork for tackle. I could see where you would want to use his straight ahead, quick pop off the snap inside at guard. He would probably be faster off the snap than anyone on our line besides Beebe ... And paired with Beebe together they could be very good and beating the defense and opening holes quickly.

But since he has the footwork and foot speed to protect against edge rushers, he's stil a viable candidate to compete at RT.

I think this pick allows them to be smarter with who they dress for game time. Having a player capable of playing OT and OG makes it much easier to carry 7 or so linemen to the game.

I don't really see him as a true starter even in time. But he's not a wash over either. He could have a very long career as a spot player.and backup who may get some starting time with injuries or on weak depth charts.

a smart pick considering he can play either spot on the right side. And you know what ... If he does develop into a starting level player he could show enough in time to take over for Martin via retirement or Steele via contract. I don't think he will be a higher end starter by any means, but certainly could become one. I just see him more as a solid long term carry as a back up.

What I read was his mirror and slide needs work at OT.  His athleticism and versatility makes him an intriguing pick.  One thing I wasn't aware of is that there's a few Rajin Cajun OL in the NFL.

Justin Rodgers. Size, strength. Push. Leverage. Long arms

Certainly not a pocket pusher and penetrator. But good luck moving him to run at him. 

See this is why I didn't like the Mazi pick. Because you can get that LoS spot holding nose guard very late in drafts. It's a role in today's NFL. Not a cornerstone like it's 1989 or 1995 or even 2002. 

Don't know much of this guy except as I said above, the size, strength. Push and leverage player. But truly that's all you need as a nose guard now. He could see action this season doing what he does. And is exactly why I thought the mazi pick was just stupid.

And see, that physical receiver and now a 330+ pound nose guard once more screams to me that they are "all in" on changing their identity and focusing on improving the matchup against SF. 

And all in all changing that soft, finesse identity that's gotten them eliminated 3 straight seasons.

@plan9misfit it's funny that as soon as I said they need to complete it with a receiver of the physical type, they do it, and then add a physical nose player. I think it's pretty clear our feelings on doing all they can to beat the Niners by improving key matchup areas weren't just gut feelings